FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hull Blisters on 1992 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hull Blisters on 1992 Ski Nautique
    Posted: August-10-2006 at 11:23pm
I'm looking at a 1992 Ski Nautique with 687 hrs. that has hull blisters. What is eveyone's opinion on how much of an issue blisters really are and how much they decrease the value. Is it worth talking them down $2k and living with blisters or should I just walk away.

As you can see in the photo, the trailer fenders are junk but they can be replaced. Everything else seems good on the boat (from photos). It's about a 3 hr. drive for me to look at it so I wouldn't drive down unless I'm 90% on buying.

Thanks,
Keith

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 11:42pm
Keith,
your site rocks!

How do hull blisters emerge? Is there any way to correct the issue?

Secondly, what's special about the 92? Is it a project boat? If so, then the blisters can just be a bargaining tool for you.

All the best to you!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 11:42pm
Many hrs. of work to fix it . $$$
Scott
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 7:33am
I'd walk. The fenders of the trailer don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about how the boat was stored, either. Another boat will come by soon.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 8:24am
Keith,

With that kind of rust on the fenders I'm guessing a salt water boat. I think I'd run from that one unless it's a steal.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 8:26am
speaking from experience i wouldnt just walk, i'd RUN!!!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 8:48am
Yeah I agree with the run away comment, we are talking about a boat that was stored in the water for long periods of time to develop blisters like that, and its one year before they took out the wood in the hull. At a minumum the resale value of the boat would be greatly effected by the blisters (as you can tell by us serial boat buyers commenting on how we would run away).
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
2001_Cuz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001_Cuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 9:13am
I may not be a Nautique guru like the rest of you, but I have worked at boat yards and been around boats forever. Blisters are caused by inferior gel coat. The water molecules are able to get through microscopic holes in the gel. That being said- I think CC was one of the first companies to use AME4000 (the same as Formula and Fountain) as a resin in their gel- the best you can get. I think starting some time in 2001 series. I would be curious to know if there was some repair work done. Nevertheless at the very least it would be an indication that the boat was not cared for. This is something you expect to find on a SeaRay- not a CC.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 9:25am
Hold on there wipper snapper. The AME4000 is a modified epoxy resin used in laying up the fiberglass only. CC uses standard polyester based gelcoat just like everyone else (hence the need for the modified resin). However, CC does not use inferior gelcoat and applies it extremely thick (more so than most other manufacturers, believe me I know).

Blisters are not unusual for a boat that is stored in the water.

I would pass on the boat and look for another.
2001_Cuz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001_Cuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 9:55am
I stand corrected- I guess my point was more to the fact that CC usess better Gel then most companies- I have seen cheaper boats (ie Sea Ray, Maxum, etc) develop blister in a couple of seasons of being left in the water- whereas higher end boats that are left in the water devleop none, even after years. My bad on the AME 4000 - I thought that was an additive to the gel. Thanks for the correction.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:03am
Good man!
2001_Cuz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001_Cuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:41am
Benefits of AMEhttp://www.ashchem.com/ascc/compoly/ame.asp http://www.ashchem.com/ascc/compoly/ame.asp
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 11:11am
all you gauys are looking for trailer queens beacuse your boats spend more time on the trailer than in the water.

Blisters are caused by water getting between the gel-kote and fiberglass and expaning the gel-kote. It's a cosmitc issue only and is not a structual matter. Gel-kote is hydroscopic and when left in water for extended periods of time will blister. The type or condition of the water effects weather they form or not. Clean clear water really doesn't effect it much but if the water contains high levels of microbs then it will blister as the microbs in the water grow while under the gel-kote. it really doesn't matter who made the gel-kote or it's quality it's hydroscopic period end of story, it absorbs water ( extremely low volumes not gallons for you smart ass' ) and being a polyester blend makes it even worse and more hydroscopic due the the polyester content. Mine is blister far worse than that and actually it was worse when I first bought the boat and they have decreased in size since I have owned it. My boat has spent 90% of it's life setting in water, thus the blisters and that's why it best to invest in a lift if you are going to leave it in for the season. If the blister are on the bottom only I wouldn't walk away and in fact they help airate the hull and create a slight amount of lift, simular to a stepped hull on the big cigarett type boats. If they continue up along the side from the chime to water line then it becomes a cosmetic issue and if you have to have a trailer queen or can live with it the way it is and your intended use, trailer 95% of the time or in the water 95% of the time. If it's in the water your not going to see them on the trailer you will.

To correct the problem they have to be ground out and filed with new gel. Gel-kote is for looks and mold release only and adds no structual value what so ever pure cosmetics plain and simple. I have had several conversation regard this same issue with my neighbor, Randy Rinker and several other employee's in the layup shop and all have told me not to get excited about it and in fact have said if I do grind them out don't bother re-gelling just paint it with emron and be done with it. And for those that don't know the people I refered too are OEM people and build boats for a living.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 11:40am
Now what I am going to do, twice in one day I agree with 79. Except for maybe the blisters aerating the hull and creating lift. Could be, but not enough to matter. Kind of like a golf ball huh?

But, there are just too many boats out there that do not have blisters, hence my suggestion to keep looking. But, who am I to say buy a perfect boat, I bought a totaled boat, so what are a few blisters here and there?
2001_Cuz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001_Cuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 11:49am
Sorry- guys didn't mean to start a pissing match
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:05pm

I have had my boat for almost a month and its overdue for its second oil change, not exactly a trailer queen (I am lucky enough to have a shore station to keep it out of the water though). Its not perfect, in fact I bought it with an unrebuildable engine and a soft floor but I would have passed if there were blisters unless it was basically a give away. The original gel kote is not the only way to go on a boat but it sure is nice. We are talking about keith here, I have seen his boats on the site, he likes them real nice, isn't afraid to upgrade, and frankly he gets pretty good info on a good percentage of the correct crafts for sale out there early. Under such conditions my advice stands at wait for a nice 93 without the wood that hasn't been stored in the water.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:14pm
This is exactly why I asked. I have heard different things about blisters in the past. My '79 Mustang had them and a few broke away, exposing the fiberglass. But that hull was over 25 years old.

For the price, I like the boat a lot. The blisters surprised me however. I got them to knock off $2,000 from asking price because of the fenders and blisters.

Don't need to make a decision today. I think I'll keep looking but won't take it off my list.

Thanks everyone!

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 1:33pm
2001_Cuz-
believe me you will know when a full blown pissing match breaks out... this here is a pretty tame exchange of opinions.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
2001_Cuz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001_Cuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 2:10pm
I just didn't want to be the newbie know it all. I guess I know I am right as much as David F & 79nautique know they are right. Bottom line is all boats do not get blisters from being left in the water and not all gel coats are the same. I have cleaned more hulls that I would ever to care to admit to, and you can look at 20 year old qualitiy (Formula, Fountain, CC) boat that has been left in the water for the season and it will be rare to see a blister- Look at cheaper boats- bayliner- searay dinker- they will look like cheese melting on a frying pan after a few seasons. That is my observation.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 2:57pm
You are correct as well. Not all gelcoats are of the same quality. Not all are applied as thick as others. Not all boats from the same company have the exact composite makeup from one boat to another. They are all hand layed up for the most part and thus each has it own characteristics. 79Nautique is correct when he says water gets through the gelcoat and thus the blistering process is started. It could be that the boat in question has had the bottom sanded to get rid of lake scum. The sanding reduced the overall thickness of the gelcoat and thus made it easier for the water to get in. It could be that the factory sprayed the gelcoat on too thin by accident. It could be that the factory had a batch of inferior gelcoat from the supplier. In other words, many things could be to blame on this particular boat only.

Also, gelcoat is more likely to blister when left in fresh water in lieu of salt water. The fresh water is thinner and lighter than salt water thus can penetrate the gelcoat easier.

So, to me, any boat can develope blisters if left in the water. They may or may not, just depends on many things. But, eventually I think all will if left in the water for a long enough period.

Are they detremental to the structure of the boat or indicate a more serious problem? NO!

So, for Keith it is just a matter of cosmetics. He can either live with it, fix it, or move on to another boat.

Now, this reminds me that I will probably be facing gelcoat blister on my boat in the areas I repair the hull because I know the gelcoat is much thinner than factory. But, I trailer my boat, so maybe the blisters will never get a chance to form in the first place.

Lecture mode off
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:07pm
FYI, Correct Craft recommends if you must store your boat in the water to apply a bottom paint, or at a minimum to remove the boat every 2-3 weeks and allow to throughly dry to avoid blisters.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 8:22am
FYI we had a '92 for 10 years that is now owned by a friend of ours. We always kept it in the water all season long, the first season or 2 without a lift. You will never find a cleaner '92 around- but it is now starting to develop blisters on the bottom of the hull. It was always very well maintained, so I wouldnt say that blisters develop due to neglect, necessarily. Letting the trailer fenders get that bad is another issue, and I would want to see the overall condition of the boat (including the interior) before passing judgement. If you dont want a project boat, dont buy one that has been neglected. Boats of this vintage will require some amount of work even if theyre in good shape to start with.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:49am
The blisters are not caused by neglect. They are caused by leaving the boat in the water all season. The only way its neglect is if you know this and leave it in the water anyway.   
Scott
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:53am
I guess I should say that the hull was kept pretty clean, and always had wax on it. I dont believe the blisters on our old '92 are as bad as the ones in the pics though.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 12:39pm
My 82 gets blisters that feel like there on a set pattern evenly spaced,first time I felt them I thought it was from factory.They go almost away sitting in the boat barn all week,then reappear saturday afternoon boat gets put into water friday evening every week stays in till sunday evening or monday they have never gotten any worse and no one sees them

Munday
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 1:01pm
you could bottom paint but I hate to do that on these boats look's like sh*t to me, might try spraying it with muratic acid and rinsing off seemed to help mine over the years but most of mine have cracked the gel too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic