Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blower Hose Havoc

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blower Hose Havoc
    Posted: August-20-2006 at 9:37am
Well, on the way back to the ramp after a full day on the water I smelt something burning under the doghouse. Slowing down I began to hear a strange sound and see the first indications of smoke coming from under the floor.   I killed the motor and instructed my son and his friend out of the boat. Something was on fire and I had no idea what I was going to find when I lifted the cover.

This is what I found; my blower hose came detached and found its way around the propeller shaft components. The hose wire was so tight around the stuffing box that all water was cut off. The components were so hot that bilge water just sizzled as it splashed against the shaft couplings.

Thoughts and comments from anyone whose been in the stuffing box or has had a shaft get cooked would be appreciated
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 10:10am
Seen that, not pretty.

Use some gloves and safety glasses cutting the wire away. I saw some loon cut his hands up in a rage pulling the wire away.

New flax seal...pick out the old crusty and cut three opposing rings and close it up.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 3:51pm
anyone ever open their stuffing box and find it completely void of stuffing. I have!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 4:08pm
Nope not I
Hmmm, it can harden well over the years, certain its missing? did you go digging? If you can't fit three new rings and still grab threads, its still in there.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 5:01pm
yea, im sure its missing. even though i've never been in the box i do now how it fits together and how it works. it always leaked faster than it was supose to, never bothered me since most of our outings are only five or six hours and i trailer it in and out. in fact i always liked the excessive dripping. just really surprised to see it didnt have any at all.

by the way, you were right about how nasty it was to get the wire unwrapped. even with gloves i cut (more like poked) my fingers with the wires. It was so tight and spooled around the shaft that i had to get the demmal after it. the wires snapped as they were cut.

on last thing, 1/4" or 3/8" flax.

i really appreciate your comments. thanks alot.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 6:34pm
When I bought my 87 Supra the stuffing box leaked like crazy. I was new to inboards, so got on line and figured out it wsn't supposed to do that. Took the box apart--there was no flax at all. Nothing. Nada. The water just poured in!

Stagger the joints when you put it back in. I think 1/4, but you better let someone else weigh in. I'm not sure.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 12:01pm
I used 3/8th for the stuffing box and 1/4 for the rudder in my old 66 and my new 2000. i like the new teflon impregnated flax it's only about a buck more and lasts 4X as long.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic