NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fish nautique prop questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
michigan dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fish nautique prop questions
    Posted: August-21-2006 at 10:43am
Can anyone share there prop info for a 1984
fish nautique. I am so overproped it wont troll well and wont spin proper rpms. thanks
dave. I have the 351 setup.
1984 Fish Nautique
351ci- 14x13 four blade acme
south haven mi.
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 1:21pm
pre 89 , 14x11x1 1/8 RH , don't know what after market prop works best , 14x11 is close to being overproped
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 1:39pm
what's on there now and what RPM's are our seeing would be a better place to start with to choose a different prop. All boats are different and will perform differently depending on how it is used so what someone else has may not be what you need.

For instant If i said i have a 79" ski nautique what is the best prop for that model and year and 99% would say get the ACME 540 or a OJ 13x13 but that just won't work on my boat, now if I wanted to pull stumps and the rope out of the skier's hand, or blow mine up, then ok it might be a good choice but it's not, that's why I use a 470 on mine.

Prop for your boat for your intended use and use what you currently have as a starting point. Or otherwise base it on what YOU ALREADY KNOW not what joe blow knows about his and nothing about yours even thought they are the same boat means nothing. Now if your using it the same and have the same speed and RPM then it could be helpfull and might work then again it could make it worse as well.
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 4:11pm
this is not a ski boat , anything over an 11 pitch will overload a 351 in a FN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 4:27pm
ok darrel lick lets try this again I never said use a 540 or 470 on the f**k'n thing. What I said and you totally missed was

"what's on there now and what RPM's are our seeing would be a better place to start with to choose a different prop. All boats are different and will perform differently depending on how it is used so what someone else has may not be what you need"

then I go on and Say " FOR INSTANT......"

Then I finish by saying

"Prop for your boat for your intended use and use what you currently have as a starting point. Or otherwise base it on what YOU ALREADY KNOW not what joe blow knows about his and nothing about yours even thought they are the same boat means nothing."

SO to summerize again it doesn't mean d*ck what some a**hole john33617 has on his boat. LOOK AT WHAT YOUR"S IS DOING AND HOW YOU WANT TO USE IT THEN CHOOSE A PROP ACCORDINGLY.

SO that means DAVE need's to firgure out what is on the boat currently, what is the top speed, what is the max RPM, what is the speed at trolling, what is the RPM at trolling speed. How is the performance to plain or out of the hole?
TOO START WITH THEN WE CAN GIVE HIM A BETTER IDEA WHAT TO CHANGE, DIAMETER, PITCH, CUP, NUMBER OF BLADES. It's not rocket science you just have to know what your starting with otherwise your pissing in the wind like you like to do a lot of there johnboy.
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 8:31pm
79 , I feel very sorry for your wife
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 9:03pm
I don't

I'm not married

Me Girl friend is pretty smart and can read and tell the difference between a suggestion and a example.

Long story short Dave need's to see what's on his boat then make adjustments according to that information rather than listen to someone to use this because they did. If I would have listened to Bill Weeks at ACME I would have waisted money on a prop that I would have turned at 6500 rpm.

What I choose to do is verify what I had and then educated myself on what I needed to do to get the rpm I wanted for my application and intended use. Which is exactly the same information I gave Dave the first time, second time and this time. Maybe you should clear your head of all of those diesel fumes or pull your head out of your ass.

I fell sorry for your WIFE, SHE HAS TO LIVE WITH A f**kING DUMB ASS THAT DOESN"T KNOW SQUAT.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 10:43pm
Dang, I missed all the fun, been out working on the fish all night. Here is the prop info.
it came to me with a 13x14 four blade OJ 504
RH rotation prop. It trolls way to fast. I have to idle it down to around 700 rpms and the alternator wont keepup. Top rpms are 3500. As a spare prop the P.O. thru in a prop that he said was "slow" it is a 13x10 3 blade. I am going to give it a try tomorrow night. From what little I know about props I think this 13x10 is more in line with what is recomended. I also verified that I have a 1:1 tranny. Thanks for all the help. Remember guys this is all in fun dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 10:57pm
that doesn't sound to bad of a direction dave, what's the tune up like? have you had much time to mess with that? diffently too much prop for the current performance of the motor. Does it have points or has it been converted to electronic? By the looks and your comments you want to do a lot of trolling and not much running long distances. Another thing to keep in mind is the load did you have it weighted down with gear, full tanks, live wells filled? are you planning on loading it down more than you did. Basicly it sounds like you where idling and happy with the speed you where trolling at just not getting enough juice for the electronics, plotter, fish finder and so forth.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 7:48am
79' I feel the horsepower is all there, secondarys open and the boat pulls decient but the mechanic in me knows the prop should let the engine rev into the proper range. I do have points and I cleaned them before the trip. Electronic conversion is definatly in my neer future. I had the boat lightly loaded. My typical boating adventure is to launch, run out the river at idle for a mile. then bring her up and run out 10 miles to fish. I might troll for 3 or 4 hours before bringing her back up for the return.
I did find out my old inboard prop puller wont pull a 4 blade prop., I have had a bunch of the old Centurys and Chris's. I got lucky with a dead blow hammer. More info to share tomorrow, going out to test the 14x10 tonight. dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:12am
might want to give it a good tune up and get that conversion kit before you drop down some cash on a new prop, also double check the shaft alignment and make sure it's right. That way you know exactly what your max RPM's will be.

With the difference between the two props it should give you a good indication on what you'll need to fine tune-it to your needs. Not sure if a 4-blade is the way to go usually you lose on the top end with them. ACME actually says there 3 blades come out of the hole better than there 4 blades. With the 3" less pitch I'd saying you should be in the mid to upper 4K range maybe a tade high for the motor depending if it's cupped or not.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 5:35pm
Ok here is some more data. I installed the 13x10 fairly worn out prop on her today and went out for a disapointing ride. It will rev up to 4700 and it is a absolute pig in the water. top speed maybe 16 or 17 mph.
the other prop 13x14 went into the mid to high 30's and spun at 3500 rpms. Im leaning towards having the 13x14 prop cleaned up and piched down to a 13. BTW the 13x10 didnt troll much better than the 13x14. anyway I will find a good combo. Wont have any more data for a week. dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 6:11pm
Well before you go and spend some cash on the prop double check the tune up make sure the timing is right, throw a vaccum gauge on the holley and set the idle mixture screws for max vaccum and the idle at 600, check the spark plug's gaps and the rotor and cap condition. make sure the throtle cable is adjuster correctly and the throtle plate is opening all of the way.

If the props are dinged up and not blanced then that's not going to give you a very good indication of your actually condition. one was a four that was on earlier and this one was the 3 blade right.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 6:24pm
I think the 13x12 acme 4-blade that did poorly on my boat for skiing would be the bomb on that fish, and worth a try. It was hooked up great but through a high roost, and extreemly little slip,          i suspect it may be the ticket for the big piggy.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 6:30pm
Dave you better jump on that the ACME's are nice props that's what brand I use.
23FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 9:13pm
I have a 1985 Fish and run a 14x11 3 blade. It turns a max of 4400 rpms wide open (351W HO). I believe this is the original prop. Performance is good though a little slow out of the hole when loaded with 4 people and 150ibs of ice.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 9:23pm
the 13x12 would be equalant to the 14x11 and might even have a slight performance edge out of the hole with the smaller dia and a little on top end with the extra pitch worth a try. I'm sure he would be willing to ship to you and try it out before you buy maybe a small down payment to cover shipping.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 7:44am
Ooops, I don't have it anymore, sorry for the confusion.

And I think it would have been the wrong rotation, anyway. AND you may have the 1 1/8 shaft.

However, dealing with skidim, when I described how it performed on my boat, they took it back for credit toward a different one, and thats worth everything. Talk to Vince, if is recomendation doesn't work out, I'm almost certain he'll work with you if you send it back within a month, that's their policy.

That model prop was made for something heavier than my boat, mine was too light and the non-GT40 351 doesn't have the lungs to spin that high.

with the 209 4-plade acme, I picked an rpm and I get that speed, like I had wheels, regardless of loading. Very efficient. With the 4-blade OJ its a crap shoot what speed I get, the high cup is very sensitive to loading, but the wake is flatter and no roost, good for skiing.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 10:48am
Dave, I run a 13x12 3 blade federal on my cuddy which is the same hull as the fish, maybe a bit heavier. It has the OMC chevy 250HP. I am happy with the performance, and it will tach over 4,000K can't remember what the exact RPMs maxed out and I believe I was around 39 MPH. Not sure but I believe it is an original set up in 1978.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 8:57pm
Wow, there is so much good info here, I really do appriaciate the help given. I wont be able to do any more testing till monday eve. I will say that fish nautique rides better than I could have ever thought. I might use a sea anchor to help me troll. I might also mount a trolling motor. dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 2:27am
Go Dave!
You're right about this site. Muchgood info here. Go Irish, beat Michigan.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 6:34am
Dave what about mounting a kicker motor like they do on some of the smaller sail boats where a 5.5-9hp outboard is mounted to a special bracket that allows you to pull it up and completely out of the water. The OB would be a lot quiter when trolling as well compared to the dual exhaust of the inboard. You kinda need the speed to get to the fising hole or back in if the weather turns but not for trolling justa acouple thoughts. Sometimes a good marina will let you try out a prop or exchange them untill you get the right one for your set up.

DUDE second the ND and go Boilers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic