Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bra$$ Plugs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bra$$ Plugs
    Posted: August-30-2006 at 8:04pm
What can I put on my bra$$ plugs, to keep the threads inside from rusting?
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 11:18pm
Try using never seize . That would be the best bet.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 11:54pm
Anti-seize made by Permex. Available in autoparts stores.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 12:45pm
are we talking about block drain plugs???? if so why don't you have bra$$ petcocks,that would take care of two problems,ease of draining and nothing to drop in the bilge,,,,,,,,,,boat dr
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 5:18pm
I think petcocks suck on freshwater engines, they plug with scale.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2006 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I think petcocks suck on freshwater engines, they plug with scale.

thats been my experience. worst $45 i ever spent on my boat. luckily someone liked them on ebay and i got all my money back after using them for 2 years. go figure
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 10:34pm
Once petcocks become plugged don't they act like plugs?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 11:26pm
mercruiser has a set that has worked great for 20 years,bra$$ barrel that screws into block then a cool plastic thumb screw that threads into that w/ o-ring. dont think i have ever had one to plug with debris,but here in the deep south our water is PURE & CLEAN,yea.....if they do plug just poke something thru the barrel..I guess all the chemicals in the water here act to halt all rust or other substances from attaching to the inner parts of our motors.....boat dr
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 9:11pm
    I have had rust plug up the petcocks in the 74. They are MUCH easier, but I always check them all after the water drains out.

Jeff...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 7:13am
If you change to petcocks there are two types. The better is a solid bra$$ that the center wing portion can be removed so you can prob and poke for scale and sand. McMaster Carr # 4921K1 for 1/8 pipe and #4921K2 for 1/4 pipe. They are about $4.00 each.
You can drain with ease without a wrench!
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 9:45pm
I might be worng but I don't remember bra$$ rusting? Any way I put teflon tape on mine, just like any other pipe thread. No leaks and no rust.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 9:32am
For everyone with scaling problems, put anti-freeze in the blocks during layup and your scaling problems will be gone or at least minimized. I used petcocks on my '77 Martinique for years without ever having to reomove them because they were plugged with scale.

Petcocks don't work on the newer engines with anti-knock sensors, so I now drain the block the old fashioned way.

If you insist on removing plugs to drain engine and leaving that way during layup, then I suggest you thouroughly dry the threads in the block drain and apply a liberal coat of grease to prevent the threads from rusting. Or, grease (or anti-sieze)the plugs and put them back in after draining.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic