NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

valve cover hoses?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: valve cover hoses?
    Posted: September-25-2006 at 1:20pm

These hoses, that run from the valve covers up to the flame arrestor. Are they critical? I was thinking of dressing my engine up a bit, paint and chrome or bushed aluminum valve covers. Can't find any covers that have the oil fill plus the fittings for these hoses. (they are on both sides) Can I get along without...what purpose is served by venting the valves to the carburator?
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 3:12pm
yes you need to maintain the hoses. but look at the 302 and 351 valve covers, they run the hosses out of the oil fill
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 3:24pm
most valve covers have a knock out on each end to install a rubber grommet and plastic elbow. One side is the PVC and should go to the base of the carb and not flame arrestor.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 9:10pm
the hoses vent the crank case, but I 79nautique is right it should go to the base of the carb not the arrestor.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 1:31am
One goes to the hat and one goes down below to the spacer.
Why if it were me, I'd cut it off and plugg it off and stick a quitip in these plase!
It is an emmssion like. It's better to send hihgly volitole hydrocarbons tp the engine to be dealt with rather than use having to brearth them.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 8:20am
I am reasonably confident that it is the way it is supposed to be, as the arrestor is set up to receive both of the hoses and I have seen other arrestors that come similarly equipped. However, in support of what the last three of you suggested, I have seen that arrangment, and the base plate of this Edelbrock does have a tubing fitting on the front, which came to me with a 1 to 2-inch piece of tubing on it that goes nowhere. I am guessing that is where the hose you guys are referring to would go. In my continued search I actually did find chrome covers with the same hole configurations. Probably go with those. Looked for chromed arrestors too. Found 'em but, boy, the sellers are mighty proud of them. Guess I can live with out those. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It isn't going to run any differently, but will hopefully be a little more pleasing to the eye.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 8:32am
which everside has the PVC valve in it has to be under vaccum and go to a vaccum source either at the base of the carb or an intake port that has full vaccum otherwise it will not run right. Do you know what a PVC valve looks like?
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 7:54pm
I don't think either side has a "PVC valve". Since 79nautique knows everything he should know that it is a PCV valve which stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. I don't know what 79nautique thinks a PVC valve looks like, but I know it doesn't look like a PCV valve.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 9:12pm
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 9:47pm
Kevin
You jumped the gun.
You Can see the PCV valve in the picture.

Below is how the PCV valve Circuit should be connected.

Regards
Rob
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 9:56pm
Rob,

I didn't jump the gun. I know exactly what a PCV valve looks like. My point is that 79nautique asks the question "Do you know what a PVC valve looks like?". If it is a PCV valve then it should be called a PCV valve and not a PVC valve. They are not the same.
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 10:25pm
Kevin
I must be Dyslexic.
I didn't even see the typo, but I understood what 79 was saying and thats the main thing.
Rob
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 8:28am
Rob,

The exact arrangement you point out is on the starboard side as well. I haven't pulled the covers to see if one has the PCV and one does not, or if both do. I wonder, if one is a PCV, why the hose from it doesn't lead to the base of the carb to a vacuum fitting, rather than to the arrestor. I'll know more when I pull the covers. These are the ones I found.

Since they have the same hole arrangement (including a filler hole on each side, for some reason) I will hook them up the same. I'm just curious why I don't seem to have a vacuum line from the PCV, a$$uming one is in there. Another question. These covers are sold as "short" I never measured to check, I a$$ume what I have are short. I hope. Or is there a chance they might not fit. Not too late, as I havent paid yet.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 12:10pm
another question...

Is there any way to get the old grommet and elbows out of the old covers to put in the new ones. I thought they would just pop out, but that doesnt seem to be the case. A baffle on the inside prevents access from the inside. Or do I have to buy new?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:40pm
your better off getting new ones. They get hard and brittle with age and usually they break apart when you try to remove them. O'reiley's have them usually.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 10:30am
Ok, I was too lazy to read all the posts...so sorry if I am redundant. The hoses are to vent the crankcase and at least ONE must remain or you will pressurize the crankcase and blow out the seals or cause them to leak oil. The reason the hoses attach to the top of the flame arrestor is so that the oil rich vapor is sucked into the combustion chambers and burned. If you left them open to the air, you would have a oil smell coming out from under the engine box at all times.

Some engines do not have PCV valves. Engines that have a PCV valves usually also have one breather (because the PCV valve is closed at high vacuum and the crankcase must still breath in these conditions.

Your setup looks like two breathers and no PCV valve. Perfectly fine and you can eliminate one breather hose if you want to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic