Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Slalom Boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Slalom Boat
    Posted: November-06-2006 at 7:04pm
What late model year of SN boat stands out as the greatest hard core slalom boat, and in what configuration ie. engine/tranny combination? Also, what makes it the greatest?

Bill

It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 7:55pm
Probably the those made just before wakeboarding became popular.
Tim D
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 7:58pm
That's funny. Doesn't help much, but funny just the same.
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 8:05pm
Well it's true. I would say a 1992 probably had very flat wakes for slalom.
Tim D
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 8:14pm
Nautiques, anything 97 and later is incredible. Some say the 97-2000 (TSC1) is the best. But, I've skied an 02 and 03, and they were incredible as well. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:18pm
tsc1 is like sauteed butter.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 8:41am
TSC2 ('02-05) has a slight advantage over the TSC1 ('97-01)- it has a slightly smaller rooster tail. TSC3 ('06+) should be the same as TSC2 for slalom.

My boat has a pretty decent slalom wake, but the newer boats are even better.
jdarwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdarwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:46am
Having been on Nautique's promo team for 14 years (91-05), I can say that the 97-01 were the best hulls. I recently drove a 2002 and found the wakes worse than my 97 - I don't remember that to be the case at the time - quite surprising. The 2004-2006 hulls were an improvement but for the money, I like the cla$$ic looks and great performance of the 97-99 boats.
jdarwin@lakesatcottonwood.com
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:50am
For the second part of your question, the GT40 MPI engine is generally considered the best skiboat powerplant out there in terms of reliability and performance (Sorry Rob).

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:52am
Speed is an important factor here- my TSC1 28 off wake felt like a brick wall at 30MPH- right at the rooster. Hopefully that goes away at 34.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Speed is an important factor here- my TSC1 28 off wake felt like a brick wall at 30MPH- right at the rooster. Hopefully that goes away at 34.

Agreed- thats where the TSC2 is noticeably better than the TSC1, IMHO.

Also agree with Joel on the GT40- Ive never lined up a 330 Excalibur against the GT40, but the Ford feels stronger, at least out of the hole.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 12:18pm
At that speed and line the roost is 6-8' behind you.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Agreed- thats where the TSC2 is noticeably better than the TSC1, IMHO.

Also agree with Joel on the GT40- Ive never lined up a 330 Excalibur against the GT40, but the Ford feels stronger, at least out of the hole.

If somebody brings an EX 196 to GL we'll line 'em up.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 12:24pm
Almost agree on the GT40, I get a better feel...as in throttle response with a carbed GT40. Feels torq-ier than MPI, especially as rpms increase.
M3, why are you running 28 off @ 30mph?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Darrel Darrel wrote:

M3, why are you running 28 off @ 30mph?

I was just screwing around freeskiing at the end of the season. My form is not the best, but it certainly was not sauteed butter!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I have this run on video - I'll review the footage.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 12:54pm

For the second part of your question, the GT40 MPI engine is generally considered the best skiboat powerplant out there in terms of reliability and performance (Sorry Rob).

Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 6:27pm
Thanks for all of the input. I am sold on the GT-40 MPFI and leaning toward the 1997 to 2001 models.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 8:37am

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I have this run on video - I'll review the footage.

Cool. I spoke in regards to 28 off @34, to avoid ambibuity.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
SGY1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGY1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 11:17am
Having had both the TSC1 and TSC2 boats, I'd say that the TSC2 boat has a slight edge. Both ski great--soft wakes at all line lenghts and speeds, IMHO. (Never skied 28 off at 30mph, but I'm not surpised there was a good sized bump.)

The TSC2 boats have a wee bit more interior room and seem to handle better at docking speeds. Also, I love the GM Excalibur. I think the pull from a skier's standpoint in the course feels softer and is much more forgiving. That's important for a guy like me that's still struggles at 15 off/34mph. The GT-40 pulls like a freight train.

I'm heading to Orlando tonight to ski behind the new Response RLXi at Drew Ross' place. I'm curious how that'll ski in comparision to the 196 and the old RLXi.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by SGY1 SGY1 wrote:

The TSC2 seem to handle better at docking speeds.

I completely agree. Probably the first ski boat I ever drove which backed up almost straight. BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

Originally posted by SGY1 SGY1 wrote:

The TSC2 seem to handle better at docking speeds.

I completely agree. Probably the first ski boat I ever drove which backed up almost straight. BKH

I wonder if that has something to do with the Acme props. I'm pretty sure I can back to the right just as well in my boat as I can my father's ('03 196).
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 3:28pm
What years have the TSC2 hulls? How does the engine make a difference in the feel behind the boat?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 3:30pm
Hull years:

TSC1: 1997-2001
TSC2: 2002-2005
TSC3: 2006+
SGY1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGY1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 3:57pm
I don't know for certain why the Excalibur motor feels softer. Maybe its the torque curve on the motors. As has been said here before, the GT-40 has lots of torque, more than the Ex330. As a consequence, it doesn't give in the same way as the lower torque motor.

I noticed the difference in pull immediately when I went from my GT-40 beast to a 2003 206 with the EX330--and then to my current 2005 196. One thing to keep in mind is that my 99 SNOB didn't have the most updated Perfect Pa$$ chip. That may play a role in it as well. And, I'm fairly sure you could adjust the pull of the boat by playing with the KX/PX. The prop may also play a role. In 99, CC wasn't using the Acme prop.

To qualify this a bit further, several guys who ski tournaments here in Colorado have mentioned to me that they prefer the EX330. FWIW. P.S. On all other counts, I loved my GT-40 motor. That thing was a beast and it was bullet proof.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic