Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What’s inside the padded keel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s inside the padded keel
    Posted: November-16-2006 at 9:29pm
Planning a stringer/floor project this winter. I understand there is foam between the floor and the bottom of the boat. I have seen several discussions about the pros and cons of replacing the foam.

Also saw a post about the padded keel. But what is in that padded keel? Can it get water-logged like the foam in a floor? Or is it maintenance-free?
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 11:42am
I have not heard the term "Padded Keel" but...foam will extend all the way up the bow and keel....quite a large amount. It can get soaked too. If removing foam, remove all that you can reach(use a tool of some sort to reach toward the keel an dig as much out as you can). You won't get it all , but most can be removed. If there is wet foam up in the bow it usually will become drier as you move futher up...you will know when to stop!You might want to run a space heater at the location for a couple days before adding new foam...good dry heat. Once adding the new foam...the stuff you don't reach will be sealed in...no worry there.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 1:36pm
"Padded Keel" is a term I heard from a Correct Craft rep at a boat show. It refers to the shape of the hull along the center. Starting in 1982 with the SN2001, CC's have generally had this trapezoid-shaped keel (hump) down the center of the hull for lift and stability. It's not some separate component of the boat- it is simply a term for part of the hull design. A picture would be worth 1000 words right now, but I'm at work. What's inside it? Nothing.
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

"Padded Keel" is a term I heard from a Correct Craft rep at a boat show. It refers to the shape of the hull along the center. Starting in 1982 with the SN2001, CC's have generally had this trapezoid-shaped keel (hump) down the center of the hull for lift and stability. It's not some separate component of the boat- it is simply a term for part of the hull design. A picture would be worth 1000 words right now, but I'm at work.

This area of the boat, the padded keel, is not exposed when the floor and foam are removed. It is actually below the bottom of the stringers along the bilge.

Is that padded keel filled with foam? Can water get inside that keel?   
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 3:28pm
Shortline, I would beg to differ with you. The area between the stringers is tapered to the centerline of the boat, thus the shape that you see from the outside.
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by 2_Nautiques 2_Nautiques wrote:

Shortline, I would beg to differ with you. The area between the stringers is tapered to the centerline of the boat, thus the shape that you see from the outside.

Understood that from the stringers to the center line of the boat there is a taper which creates the shape of the padded keel. But it is not just a few layers of gla$$ under there. Something is between the gla$$ in the bilge and the gla$$ on the bottom of the boat. What's in there?

2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 3:50pm
Shortline, I am not sure if there is a wood filler for the keel or not CC is pretty liberal with gla$$ and resin. I do know that my depth sounder transducer is epoxied directly to this area and works fine. So this area must be solid for it to work. You could always drill a hole in it to find out?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Shortline Shortline wrote:

But it is not just a few layers of gla$$ under there. Something is between the gla$$ in the bilge and the gla$$ on the bottom of the boat.

Like M3 and everyone else has said, theres nothing between the main stringers- only the hull itself.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 4:00pm
Perhaps there was a repair done to that area?
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2006 at 9:33pm
Funny, right down the center of my keel where the strut and rudder are mounted there is about an inch of something between two layers of fibergla$$. Don't know what it is though. Must be reinforcement or something.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2006 at 12:38pm
In my 75 Southwind the rudder bolts go through the gla$$, through a wood pad, and then through the gla$$ covering the wood pad to the inside of the bilge where the washers and nuts are attached to the bolts.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic