NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member to the family

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:27pm
With it being mounted with distributor in the the front,you can always pretend its a Ford motor. Some would never know the difference anyway!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 6:00pm
That thing sounds damn good for a chebby and looks the part too. I love the matching engine paint. That was a cool vid of the blue boats they both sound nice as well but not as stout as that skiff.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 3:18am
reid..get a new motor in that puppy and bring to the river in Feb, boat dr, wants to race you!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 2:53pm
Great idea MM. The new engine is ready to drop in now. It's gonna have a vortec 358 for a short spell (without quite the HP of the 283) until we find another good 283 donor. 62wood has offered up one but he refuses to deliver it from IL to NC for free(?). But that'd be a great place to run that boat. I'll work on it.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 2:58pm
What happened to the 283?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Great idea MM. 62wood has offered up one but he refuses to deliver it from IL to NC for free(?). But that'd be a great place to run that boat. I'll work on it.     

Reid, two major ice storms within a week (two weeks ago) ...no power,heat, water, etc for almost two days.... now about a foot of snow on the ground(ice is still underneath)...hasnt been above freezing for over three weeks and winters not even started yet..... if I bring the 283 down ,can we stay at your place for a while........like April?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce, I can only think of two reasons that Reid would pull the engine. More HP for speed or he blew up the 283!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce, I can only think of two reasons that Reid would pull the engine. More HP for speed or he blew up the 283!!

Pete, How you say ..... Kaaaaaabaaaang?!??
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Pete, How you say ..... Kaaaaaabaaaang?!??

Reid has been awful quite lately!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 4:04pm
I'd like to hear that story. Was it a major malfunction at WOT? What's it like having one of those things right in front of your feet let go at 7,000 rpms.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 9:08pm
Yessir, she blew up. Broke a rod in half and then proceed to kill the block, the crank and a piston. And while I wasn't in the boat at the time (thank the Lord), Nautique John and I could hear it coming up the lake and all of a sudden we heard the engine die and went out near the water to see what we could see. About that time my phone rings and it's Nautique Matt saying to come get him. Tell you more later.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 11:07pm
Ouch..bad enough for it to blow but destroying the block and crank it tough.
Blowed a 302 yrs ago, you could shake the front of the car and hear the water slosh around in the oil pan!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 3:38am
we have a 283 block for you down here, stop by and pick it up when you pick up your new boat!   P.S. Dont forget to bring my GT-40 heads!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 8:41am
Here, in a previous life is Reid behind the helm with Jerry in the mechanics seat. 4 Packard engines with a total of 6400HP!! I would have to say that the quest for speed has carried through to his present life!

He blew this one up as well!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 11:30am
Wheres the ski pole?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 12:20pm
Reid,

Sorry to hear your luck....Damn that sucks!!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 11:41am
Originally posted by 67nautique312 67nautique312 wrote:

Reid,

Sorry to hear your luck....Damn that sucks!!!

Thanks Paul, as you're being nice referring to it as luck. We've chauked it up to stupidity, as we weren't holding enough oil pressure for some reason, but we just kept banging on it. We got this 358 longblock for $450 and swapped everything over so we can continue to run it, and then we're gonna build another 283 this spring.

Pete, that's some engine set-up I had there, wasn't it. It's been so long ago I can't remember what kind of drive system I was using. Do you recall? I can't say if I had them in tandem or what, but it would fly. You tend to loose a lot of memory going from one life to the next.          
ReidP
1973 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 12:55pm
Well I am officially jealous that it wont be nice enough up here to blow anything up for at least 4 months yet..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Well I am officially jealous that i wont be up to blow anything for at least 4 months yet..

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 2:04pm
Reid, I wish I knew more about Miss America's drive train but can only guess by looking at the picture. They are mounted with the trans ends facing each other so I would have to say that each starboard or port pair went to a common gearbox and then to a down angle output to twin screws. It's also hard to see but the opposite ends where the carbs are sitting are probably where the PTO driven blowers are. Someone did restore her a few years back. Had it at a ACBS show and when starting it a backfire started a fire. Major damage and the boat was banned from future shows. Notice no flame arresters on the carbs!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 3:35pm
Reid, I found some info on the drive train that Gar Wood used. Look like he set up the Packards like I thought.

Popular Mechanics, 1934, pp.536-9, 124A)
"Miss America X it was Wood's idea to use four twelve-cylinder motors not as four distinct motors but as two power plants. He wanted them in banks, two in line on the starboard side and two in line on the port side. Four motors had been hooked together before but with clutches between and the gear boxes forward.

This arrangement required dangerously long propeller shafts at the speeds Miss America's propeller wheels were to be turned. Wood wanted the gear boxes in the middle of the banks, giving his boat short, sturdy shafts that would stand the strain. In effect, what Wood wanted was to make two motors function as a single unit, with the crankshafts of each bank synchronized and turning as one shaft! Engineers said the oscillations of the shafts would be so great as to wreck the gear boxes with the motors running at any appreciable speed. But Wood stuck to his idea which was to spline the engine shafts in each bank in a specially designed and specially constructed gear box. Each gear box was to be the heart of each tandem, with two shafts fitting into a main driving gear through a splined hub which was common to both. And it worked."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 4:28pm
How fast did Miss America X go, Pete?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 6:14pm
124.915 MPH I know they didn't have GPS back then so I don't know how they were able to get that accurate!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2007 at 6:23pm
Holy Crap! Was that a record at the time?

Timing between two points can be a very accurate measurement of velocity. I'd guess a flying mile measurement would have been doable in the 30's

Thanks for the insight Pete. I always appreciate our resident encyclopedia.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2007 at 8:15pm
Pete, great work like Steve said. Thanks. The one thing that really bothers me is how much smarter and more mechanically inclined I obviously was in my previous life. I can't seem to find even half that speed today.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2007 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

124.915 MPH I know they didn't have GPS back then so I don't know how they were able to get that accurate!

Because the 124.915mph is not a top speed. It is the average speed over a mile course, which of course if very easy to calculate with just a stop watch. The Miss America X was the first boat to average more than 124mph over a 1 mile course. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2007 at 10:08pm
Brian, Good point with the stop watch! If the stop watch indicates 1/10 seconds, it would be very easy to come up with a speed taken out to thousands!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2007 at 12:05am
Come one Reid it's easy to get that kind of speed. Just ask the guy running the stop watch not to start it until your three quaters of the way through the course. I am kidding of course. But 124 that is fast. I like to hit speeds of 150 and above in a car on a regular basis. I boat I am good with 60MPH.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2007 at 1:22am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

I like to hit speeds of 150 and above in a car on a regular basis. I boat I am good with 60MPH.

What do you have that will do 150 and above?

My 2002 BMW 540i is electronically limited to 155.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2007 at 1:26am
2002 ZO6 corvette, I have seen 176 in it. I have also seen 178 in my brother's 2003 ZO6. He had a longer stretch of highway then I did. Plus I have an 86 mustang with a mild build and a 2.78 gear in it. It tops out at about 160 but takes a lot longer then the vettes to get there. Oh yeah plus other brother just brought home his shelby GT-500 two weeks ago. That thing is sweet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic