NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 13>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 12:47pm
You're unbelievable. I bet you'll be running around in it 4th of July.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 1:10pm
Thanks, guys.

Moj' it is all yuckytan! I am hand delivering the dog box to the "magic paint matcher" on Saturday morning. he is giving me the color codes and a sample paint will be made. Then from there, the matched paint gets sent for gel.

h20, no, the gel that's left on the hull will remain. From what everyone told me, as long as the prep is done correctly, gelling over existing will not be a problem. If there are existing cracks, blisters....everything needs to be repaired first.
Cracking or craising can happen if the gel is put too thick. It's a learning experience and believe me...I will follow all instructions so there's little chance of that happening. If it does...it is repairable too.
My eye protection did go on in the dusties. Highly recommend eye protection.

Riley....I hope so!
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Originally posted by skinaut skinaut wrote:

The yuk yel is going to look great. I am glad you stuck with it. At this rate you will be done in time for the regatta!

Wouldn't that be great? One more circle to run in. That's a wonderful idea with the period suits and all. I don't know if everyone would appreciate that or not? I know the antique boat "people" would. First regatta meeting is Thursday. Here we go.

Chelle'

if they don't get it then to bad for them, everyone that does would get a kick out of it.
I can see us after a couple adult beverages and the drivers safety meeting in the morning.
Blinky would announce (white skippers cap on and a pipe clinched between his teeth) "Say Buffy, let's take the kids for a ski!"
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:30pm
Just for "yucks"- did you see Todds boat in the Parts for sale section?
70 Mustang project
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:45pm
WOW...

I can't imagine having to sell that.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

Just for "yucks"- did you see Todds boat in the Parts for sale section?

For the record, I dont think Todd's boat is the Yucatan Yellow. I believe its the Inca Gold, like my Skier.

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:57pm
My mustang is a softer tannish/yellow. Can't think of another way to describe the color. "Yuckytan" Really, I love it now.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 4:32pm
This site does something to your mind. Some of these colors I used to hate. Couldn't figure out why anyone would do that to a boat. Now I like them all.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

This site does something to your mind. Some of these colors I used to hate. Couldn't figure out why anyone would do that to a boat. Now I like them all.

Bruce,
That is sooo funny. I really disliked the yuckytan. You could ask anyone on the site and/or anyone that knows me and they would agree. "That" was the worst color that mustang could have been! Then I started removing the paint. Still hated it. It wasn't till it was almost all yuckytan. It began feeling like a "warm" and inviting color.
Love it now!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 5:09pm
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Much to my surprise, I've had a few people ask me if I was going to paint the Mustang, I think because of the color, seafoam green. I really like that color.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 5:19pm
The seafoam is a nice color. I always liked it.

If you think about it, alot of the cc boat colors were the colors popular in homes too during that period.

CC didn't have any bright colors then did they? Seems like they were all the warmer, faded colors.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 5:32pm
In the 60's I've heard them referred to as pastel colors. Their orange was the only bright color I've seen. I've got a friend that has a Wildcat in that color. He bought it new, but it's been painted a few times over the years.

Fern green and Inca Gold remind me of early 70's appliances. But, I've seen Tim's boat and it is beautiful.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 5:32pm
OK Bruce, I just edited that post because that was not a very good reference.
True...but not a good reference.
Chelle'
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 5:38pm
LOL, my reference was not in reference to your reference.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 6:18pm
Bruce,

In the 70's, my parents living room was dark green carpet and gold furniture.
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 7:28pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] For the record, I dont think Todd's boat is the Yucatan Yellow. I believe its the Inca Gold, like my Skier.

Yes, I forgot about the Inca gold but Todds definitely has the green tone that the yucatan yellow is missing. Its nice to see boats like yours that are polished back to or close to the original color. I have never seen either cc color in person- what a sheltered life eh?
70 Mustang project
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by skinaut skinaut wrote:

I can see us after a couple adult beverages and the drivers safety meeting in the morning.

LOL...that was a funny meeting. Speaking of meetings, they rescheduled the regatta meeting for next Thursday. Too cold?! Kids have tomorrow off from school too.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

Yes, I forgot about the Inca gold but Todds definitely has the green tone that the yucatan yellow is missing. Its nice to see boats like yours that are polished back to or close to the original color. I have never seen either cc color in person- what a sheltered life eh?

The inca gold definitely has a lot of green in it. Reid keeps yelling at me when I call it my "green boat". It sure doesnt look like gold to me!

I dont know about sheltered- there are plenty of colors I havent seen, yucatan among them. I still havent seen a 1st gen SN in person yet, either.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Bruce,

In the 70's, my parents living room was dark green carpet and gold furniture.

We had green & orange.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 3:21am

Bruce, I had to chuckle at this comment. I went back and found my original post from 2007 where alot of you thought I was nuts wanting the yucatan yellow on my cuda ss.

Some were trying to talk me into red...then others tangerine (which I was considering for a short time.)

Im glad to see your finally fessin up to how ugly-cool some of these 60s colors were.

Heres the link to that 2007post.... Check it out Michelle
YUCATAN YELLOW FOREVER!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 11:57am
Steve,

That looks like a few of my threads....decisions, decisions, decisions...

Michelle
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Bruce, I had to chuckle at this comment. I went back and found my original post from 2007 where alot of you thought I was nuts wanting the yucatan yellow on my cuda ss.

Some were trying to talk me into red...then others tangerine (which I was considering for a short time.)

Im glad to see your finally fessin up to how ugly-cool some of these 60s colors were.

Heres the link to that 2007post.... Check it out Michelle
YUCATAN YELLOW FOREVER!!!

LOL, I can't believe I said this on 9-25-2007, "IMHO, Yucatan yellow is not a hot color for a hot boat like a Barracuda" . I like that color now, as well as some other colors I disliked a lot more than that one.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 8:39pm
hmmm...I suppose I will worry about what color to make the barracuda ...later
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 3:40pm
The paint color matches perfectly!!! Next step is sending the painted piece along with the codes for gel coat. I was so excited because I got to mix the magic paint as well as paint the piece.

Here is the secret code some of you have been waiting for.

Brand Code 84271 Main Layer
Description 84271
Mixing Scheme Deltron (DBU)
Price Code
VOC Reg. 4.82 lbs/gal (577G/L)
Varient Profit Formula
VOC Act. 4.82 lbs/gal 577gl
Makes 4 fluid oz.

SKU    Desc   INC. (part) Cum (part)          
DMD663 White   63.1       63.1
DMD644 Yellow 38.5       101.6
DMD622 Red Ox. 2.7       104.3
DMD660 Blue     0.2       104.5
DBX695 Clear   42.8       147.3

YUCKYTAN YELLOW!!!! I am heading to the Cleveland Boat Show. I will take a picture of the "painted" piece and post tomorrow.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 6:30pm
that looks like a basecoat clearcoat formula, who is mixing it into the Gel? Im not familier with mixing color into gels. i was just curious if they mixed basecoat into the gel for color. what will a gallon end up costing you?

if it was base i wish i wouldve known, we just switched paint company's from Akzo Noble to Dupont, and sent back our mix station with all the tints to make base, we mixed about 10 different colors before they took the system back, i actually mixed a gallon of silver to paint tranny's, a gallon of base has to be 200.00 300.00, i would think if not more
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 8:20pm
I wouldve sent it to you. i got it free so you wouldve got it free
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

that looks like a basecoat clearcoat formula, who is mixing it into the Gel? Im not familier with mixing color into gels. i was just curious if they mixed basecoat into the gel for color.

Eric,
You missed what Michelle is doing. She had a friend match the color with paint because it's easier. She's then going to sent a painted panel to one of the gel manufacturers to match it. This way, she also doesn't need to cut a section of her deck with the existing color gel on it to send to them. It's was a great idea to come up with the painted match!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 11:19am
now you have me curious, you have the base formula,....I guess my question is, what do they mix into the Gel? basecaoat? acrylic urethane? enamal? to get the color.....I know the gel is Poly vinyl.......
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 12:20pm
Good Sunday Steeler Morning, LOL. We made it to Youngstown yesterday and turned around because of the weather. So, no boat show to talk about.

Eric, thank you. That was very kind. Pete is correct, I "painted" a piece that is being sent for a gel match.

I'm not sure what the tints are that they use in gel, although I know they have a clear based gel (transparent) and a white gel. Of course I will ask those questions and pass on what I find out.

The base formula in paint is to give them an idea of the colors required to match. The tints I've seen in gel look to be brighter - basic colors than the many paints on the shelf at the body shop. I'm sure they have a secret stash that we can't see.

We now have the yuckytan codes for auto paint and I might just paint the powder room yuckytan, so we'll have the codes for latex. I hope minicraft passes the code on for the gel. I will be calling them tomorrow and sending out the "painted" piece.

Any idea where or if I can rent a mask? Would the masks from the fire department work? I have a few connections there.....

A few more weeks before gel coat goes on. I want to make sure everything is perfectly wet sanded smooth and the few minor repairs are made. Plus, I have to wait on the gel coat and have the masks here for us. Tyvex suits are already on the shelf and a huge roll of plastic is ready for the walls. My instructor is loving this as much as I am. I'm just the grasshopper, but I think I'm doing pretty well. I even had a job offer. My favorite things to do with the resto so far are fiberglass; making repairs and glassing the stringers in - love it! And I like wet sanding till everything is smooth.... enjoyed mixing the colors in the little lab to come up with the yuckytan. Who would have thought there was blue in there? And I love to paint.

Chelle'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 12:33pm
how was the boat show? my friend is over with his Steelers hat on..he needs to check it at the door.. 4 point spread...I'll go with the Raves
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 13>
  Share Topic