Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The latest and greatest in shoreline destruction!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The latest and greatest in shoreline destruction!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The latest and greatest in shoreline destruction!
    Posted: January-05-2013 at 6:17am
Click

Hopefully towns and cities will ban boats like this. Completely outrageous.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 9:53am
Matt,
I sure agree and feel it won't be long before laws will be enacted. Besides the shoreline damage, that wake would lift my pier sections! Some of the ballasted board boats are almost doing it now.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 10:18am
Gross, I guess I am stuck in the 70,s.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by DrStevens DrStevens wrote:

Gross, I guess I am stuck in the 70,s.

You and me both brother.

Plenty of tuber complaints here and of course they do disturb the water for skiers; but in the big picture this is really just an annoyance.

Wakeboats, on the other hand, can be an actual menace to boating safety. Not much trouble in the Southwind battleship, but I've run across a few in my much smaller/lower Century and in a narrow patch of water it can be dangerous.....plowing down the lake like they own it with their gigantic wakes, speakers blaring, with little care for safety or etiquette. I think there may be a different mindset between the guy with a $5K classic and the guy who can plunk down $100K. I'm sure there are plenty of courteous wakeboaters here on CCF, but I haven't seen many on the water.    
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:12am
Hey Jeff, I am going to listen to some Leanord Skynrd and hope you post a photo of your Century, maybe you already have?
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:25am
I don't see what the fuss is all about .... My 26' Pursuit can make the same wake at 2000 rpms and not on plane, I can even change the wake with my trim tabs, if I threw a constant wake like that in my harbor or cove the harbor master would yell at me and my fellow boaters would burn my boat on the mooring! I can only imagine the fuel bill! Thank god the Mustang can't make that much of a wake!!
Old school goin back to school!
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:35am
It must be winter...with all the hateful surf and wakeboard posts lately, people are obviously looking for stuff to whine about. If every joe blow in your area is going to have a brand new $130k boat next year, I'm clearly in the wrong location.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

It must be winter...with all the hateful surf and wakeboard posts lately, people are obviously looking for stuff to whine about. If every joe blow in your area is going to have a brand new $130k boat next year, I'm clearly in the wrong location.

John,
Do you own lakefront property or are you just a "day" boater?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:45am
Originally posted by DrStevens DrStevens wrote:

Hey Jeff, I am going to listen to some Leanord Skynrd and hope you post a photo of your Century, maybe you already have?

We had tickets for Skynyrd at Madison Square Garden and then the plane crashed a few weeks before the date. Ted Nugent was the opening act and with no more Skynyrd we bailed out and sold the tickets. Maybe shoulda kept the tickets, who knows some real Skynyrdophile mighta paid big bucks for tickets to the concert that never was..

I've posted Century photos a few times, here ya go. I've since replaced the taller/clear windshield in the photos with the original short/dark-tinted windshield. In the shot from the stern the swirls on the side are just some strange reflection.
IMG]uploads/11529/MKII_5_opt.jpg[/IMG]

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:48am
somehow one of the photos didn't upload:
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
mrinboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrinboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:49am
Hey old guys! You need to stop bitching about everybody that doesn't barefoot or slalom ski wakeboarders and wake surfers have every right to the lake as the almighty footers and skiers. So either adapt or get out of the way.

And yes Pete I own lake front property
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:57am
You guys must live on lakes that wont allow anything over a 21'boat.
A 25' Cobalt at 15mph will put out a much bigger wake than my 210 can ever hope for?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by mrinboard mrinboard wrote:

Hey old guys! You need to stop bitching about everybody that doesn't barefoot or slalom ski wakeboarders and wake surfers have every right to the lake as the almighty footers and skiers. So either adapt or get out of the way.

Mike,
You are absolutely correct that everyone has the right to public waters UNTIL they start to tear up the shoreline.

I sure hope your shoreline has some kind of protection.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mrinboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrinboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
You are absolutely correct that everyone has the right to public waters UNTIL they start to tear up the shoreline.

I sure hope your shoreline has some kind of protection.

Pete,
Yes Sir 20ton of river rock does a great job
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 12:25pm
Kudos to Nautique for getting people to spend 150k to surf at 11 mph.

Oh and Mike.. you're in Columbia City Indiana? I'm on Chapman Lake.
mrinboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrinboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 12:34pm
Ya Im on Shriner lake I love it here, I have some friends on chapmen. I was told that Nautique wanted to market wake surfing to the over people over 50 because they where the only people that could afford the new Nautiques
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

You guys must live on lakes that wont allow anything over a 21'boat.
A 25' Cobalt at 15mph will put out a much bigger wake than my 210 can ever hope for?

Got me curious so I looked it up. Maximum allowed boat length on Oconee (and all Georgia Power lakes in N. GA) is 30 feet 6 inches. Never seen anything bigger than 25ish though.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 1:14pm
Our lake can make waves bigger than any wake board boat, so it's not an issue at all, but like any boat, the driver has to be respectful of others. It all comes down to the driver, whether tubes, jet skis, surfing or even slalom. At the last NE Reunion a surf boat drove right up to our raft and sent a tsunami at us. Fortunately, no one got hurt and no boats were damaged.

Pete, do you have back lot properties in your area?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 1:22pm
Nice, We need to get a northern Indiana thing together there is a ton of CC's up there.
scottb7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 1:24pm
My issue with the shoreline concern - and yes i own lakefront property - is that amount of erosion is directly dependent on where the water level is. And is highly variable across the years. So I personally feel it is hypocritical for someone even me to say you are messing up more shoreline. And also I don't think it is more moral to not make a wake then make a wake.

How would those that ski and are against wake surfing feel if their lake - where they own property - had an association that banned gas motor boats for just canoe's and paddle boats. Quite obviously it is a matter of degree.
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 1:31pm
the cabin fever is strong here. any regulations won't come in the way of certain types or lengths or weights of boats. a registration fee or tax will come for ALL boats. it will be called a shoreline rehabilitation project tax or something similar and you will be paying it, just the same as the cabin cruisers and wakeboats. after that, there will be a 100 page dedicated thread bitching about why your slalom and footing boats should have pay for it.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:01pm

John,
Do you own lakefront property or are you just a "day" boater?

Yes I do own lakefront property and I'm in between the only two ramps open to the public on this lake so I get the majority of boat traffic passing by my house. Most people I hear complaining about shoreline damage here have added some kind of beach for themselves and they're upset because they have to keep adding sand. The main "damage" I see on my shoreline is excess sand and dirt that gets washed in and makes the shoreline shallower so when we have a drought, it's harder for me to get my boat off the lift.

To my knowledge there are no boat restrictions on this lake right now. There are multiple people who bring/own cigarette boats on this lake. They are loud and obnoxious but as far as I'm concerned, they are welcome too and the dual V8's can sound nice sometimes. At least I don't have to pay their fuel bill.

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:03pm
I don't have a definitive answer, And I have run fat sacks in my boat in the past, but we did not last year for a few reasons and had just as much fun. I see a line of responsibility with anything that produces a wake, and another increased line with wake enhancement. I can be annoyed with the wake of a 25 foot boat, but it is what it is and as long as it is not doing 12 mph in a no wake zone, it can not operate any other way. When someone chooses to purposely increase their wake they are choosing to be more of an annoyance. Surfing is cool but does it really belong on a lake with no surf or a shoreline that has the natural ability to deal with it?

Does Nautique put out any rules of etiquette stickers next to the wake enhancement controls? How long till shore owners bring lawsuits against Nautique et al. for shore erosion due to intentionally enhanced wakes? Like the PWC market, we as users need to find ways to get along or face the restrictions that will come if we can't. A few idiots will ruin it for all of us.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:05pm
Wow, insert guns for Nautique and I could move that to another thread.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, do you have back lot properties in your area?

Bruce,
No on back lot properties hence no common access to the lake shore.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:16pm

Most people I hear complaining about shoreline damage here have added some kind of beach for themselves and they're upset because they have to keep adding sand.

This practice is illegal in the state of Wisconsin. This is one of the DNR's regulations I happen to like. You actually need a permit to rock your shoreline and they even regulate the size of the rock at the water line and behind it for 2 feet. No ugly looking seawalls are permitted ether.

Pete,

Mike,
Ether you have very little lakefront footage, have miscalculated the tons or they whet with just a small layer of rock. 20 tons is less than 10 cu. yds. How big is the river rock?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by scottb7 scottb7 wrote:

My issue with the shoreline concern - and yes i own lakefront property - is that amount of erosion is directly dependent on where the water level is. And is highly variable across the years. So I personally feel it is hypocritical for someone even me to say you are messing up more shoreline. And also I don't think it is more moral to not make a wake then make a wake.

How would those that ski and are against wake surfing feel if their lake - where they own property - had an association that banned gas motor boats for just canoe's and paddle boats. Quite obviously it is a matter of degree.

Scott,
If a truck or car drove over your lawn in front of your house tearing it up, wouldn't you be upset? Wouldn't you file a damage report to the local police? I feel the same way about my shoreline. Luckily, I do have it rocked but, the wakes have gotten to the point where they go over the rock!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 2:52pm
The way we solve the problem here on the Fox is to put in a seawall,that way everyone can enjoy the wake long after the boat is gone
I can just see how this is going to go-- I was out surfing and all these jetski jerks were bothering me. Something has to be done about them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mrinboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrinboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 3:22pm

Most people I hear complaining about shoreline damage here have added some kind of beach for themselves and they're upset because they have to keep adding sand.

This practice is illegal in the state of Wisconsin. This is one of the DNR's regulations I happen to like. You actually need a permit to rock your shoreline and they even regulate the size of the rock at the water line and behind it for 2 feet. No ugly looking seawalls are permitted ether.

Pete,

Mike,
Ether you have very little lakefront footage, have miscalculated the tons or they whet with just a small layer of rock. 20 tons is less than 10 cu. yds. How big is the river rock?

Pete,
The stone quarry sells different size of river rock my rock is 6" to 8" and 20ton did my shore line perfect (80')

P.S. My name is Mark
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"
scottb7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 3:42pm
If car or trucks drove over my yard would it bother me? If I knew that from year to year depending on mother nature the curb was going to move around then I would quit worrying about those 3 feet of yard. Just like I realized I could not worry about those 3 feet of shore line.

I understand that a wake is more destructive than no wake. But it is a matter of degree. You disagree? A wakeboard wake is worse than a ski wake, and a ski wake is worse then a pontoon wake, and a pontoon wake is worse than a paddleboat/canoe lake. And if people managed their shoreline to the canoe wakes, then they can be upset with skier's. And if people built their shoreline for ski wakes then they can be upset with wakeboarders and surf wakes. It is a matter of degree.

I had beautiful sod put in when we built this house put within 2 feet of the water. Then it rained and the lake rose, and it wrecked about a foot of sod. Oh my money lost. Then boats went by and I lost another foot or two. And I realized I had a lot to learn. Then the water went down the next year and weeds grew were my sod and shoreline were, and big boats went by when lake was high and another foot. And then lake went down and big boats went by and did nothing....You getting the point.

Maybe you need to extend your rocks up 3 feet and down 3 feet. Just pay more money to have larger seawall. Silly right, where would it end? Why should you pay more for larger seawall? But how do you know that the breadth of your seawall is right? Maybe you are trying to manage it too narrowly.

But why is it fair for land owners to complain about erosion. Maybe regulation should be for landowners to have a certain minimum length seawall. Or not to put anything within x feet of ordinary high water line. Could also argue this is silly. But at least it would be based on ordinary high water line. Which could be updated on a moving average every x amount of years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic