Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cracked Head

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Delta Greg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked Head
    Posted: June-29-2017 at 12:49pm
I've got a 1993 Ski Nautique with a cracked head. I bought it that way because the previous owner didn't tell me it was cracked. He had JB Welded the head back together. The JB Weld seemed to hold for a long time, so I JB Welded it again and it seems to be OK for now, but I realize that I should probably be on the lookout for new heads. Just curious which heads to look for. I think my boat has the standard PCM 351W engine. Will the pro boss and GT-40 heads bolt right up? The boat has plenty of power now, but while I'm doing the heads, is it worth upgrading to better heads?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 1:10pm
If just an external water jacket crack, that jb weld repair might last a very long time without issues.

GT40, or even better, GT40P heads can be swapped right on (and add 40-50hp). Head bolt holes on any 302 based head will need to be drilled out for use on a 351w.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 9:17pm
The GT-40P heads come up on Ebay constantly. Like Tim says, some of the GT-40 heads have different head bolt diameters. You want 1/2" diameter head bolt holes. Those heads that came off the 302 typically have the smaller holes and need to be drilled. Not a big deal and most head shops or machine shops can easily do it.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 10:47pm
here's a recent thread on GT40P heads if you happen to go that route and need to drill them out yourself.

Gotta agree with TRB on the epoxy repair. It might last a long time
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic