NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

primer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 11:03am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The horn issue must be a very "gray" area in the early years. Even back to the pre WWII days some boats had them. I'll have to do some investigation! Our chaperters safety director is a Power squadron member who teaches USCG classes and would be a good person to ask!

Pete,

I emailed my cousin from MD who is USCG and here is his reply.

****I'll give you a more complete answer tomorrow, but no, a "horn" is not the only approved or required sound producing device for a vessel.
Required sound producing devices depend on the length and type of vessel and whether underway, weather conditions, etc.***

I will email him again and ask if the laws have changed since the "early" years.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 9:02am
The horn issue must be a very "gray" area in the early years. Even back to the pre WWII days some boats had them. I'll have to do some investigation! Our chaperters safety director is a Power squadron member who teaches USCG classes and would be a good person to ask!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 5:42pm
a horn or other sounding device required underway but not as standard equipment your whistle on the key chain works fine
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 5:18pm

I believe that the USCG required horns of some type for a long time. My 54 has one and it's a automotive surplus black painted under the bow deck. That would be the standard horn and the optional would be the deck mounted chrome.

Interesting. That must not be the case now, right Pete? My Skier has no horn.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

I'm thinking it was the small round electric.

Pete,

Would that electric horn be mounted up under the dash? I DO believe I have that.

I didn't dismantle the dash or electrical, but I do remember...if it's approx.3" round.

At any rate, will this horn be blowing inside the boat under the dash????

I believe that the USCG required horns of some type for a long time. My 54 has one and it's a automotive surplus black painted under the bow deck. That would be the standard horn and the optional would be the deck mounted chrome.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 5:10pm

Yes, Pete. JB called me back and the mustang has the electric horn. The cuda has none.

So I guess I will find a hole to cut elsewhere. Maybe I'll just take a piece beside where the drink holders were cut.

Still want to wait on those swatches though.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 3:54pm

Pete,

Would that electric horn be mounted up under the dash? I DO believe I have that.

I didn't dismantle the dash or electrical, but I do remember...if it's approx.3" round.

JB does the engine and wiring work. I'm doing the cosmetics.

Now I will have to search through his baggies. Tried calling him, but he's out there protecting us somewhere.

At any rate, will this horn be blowing inside the boat under the dash????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 3:30pm
Michelle,
I went looking in our ref. section and the diaries for pictures of horns. The horn was about a $20 option back then so I'm thinking it was the small round electric. I couldn't find a picture but did find some pictures of the single and dual trumpet style air horns. These may have been a dealer install but still appropriate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 3:00pm

I asked because it may be a great spot to cut out a sample Find a period correct horn and make sure the base of the horn will cover the cutout (patched). Wet sand and buff the area first to give them a true representation of the final deck color.

Great idea! I still want to see the color swatches they send though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:56pm

Do you have a horn on the boat?

Better?

No horn

I asked because it may be a great spot to cut out a sample (use a hole saw) to send to Minicraft. Find a period correct horn and make sure the base of the horn will cover the cutout (patched). Wet sand and buff the area first to give them a true representation of the final deck color.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:53pm
Lee,

You know I'm always cleaning and scrubbing boats. I can rub the gel till it matches.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:51pm

Better?

No horn
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:48pm

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I think you are cutting the header on your quotes. In this case it was missing '[QUOTE=8122pbrainard]'.

So Michelle's habit has been bothering you too!! I've been meaning to bring it to her attention but am always too busy with her other topics!

And you pointed out a typo for me?!!?   LOL

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:47pm
Wish I had those drink cup "circles" that someone cut out of the dash.

I told her (minicraft) what year the boat was and told them the cc color. She said they had a color selector that they sell for 75.00 that includes all colors, but I didn't need that.

She said that they save alot of the "matched" colors and label them. I explained what the color looked like to me and she said she would send swatches of what she has on hand.

I have some time, so I'll see what comes in the mail.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:44pm

I think you are cutting the header on your quotes. I this case it was missing '[QUOTE=8122pbrainard]'.

So Michelle's habit has been bothering you too!! I've been meaning to bring it to her attention but am always too busy with her other topics!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:38pm

Have you contacted Minicraft yet for a color matched quart of gel paste?

Pete,

They are sending color swatches for me to match.

I think you are cutting the header on your quotes. In this case it was missing '[QUOTE=8122pbrainard]'.

That's only FWIW...and I want to see the phantom pic!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:37pm
Michelle,
The color swatches won't match. You need a custom color mixed up. The big problem is getting them a sample of the existing wet sanded and buffed to match. Off the deck where it's most noticable but can be covered up later!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:35pm

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they will have much in that age range. They are pretty sharp though...they might be able to get a close match on a sample? You'd want the sample to be in super good shape.

Youre right- but I think Pete was implying that minicraft could match the color based on a sample.

Edit: Pete beat me to it!

Minicraft told me that the sample needs to be about the size of a quarter. Yikes, thats a big hole to drill!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:33pm

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they will have much in that age range. They are pretty sharp though...they might be able to get a close match on a sample? You'd want the sample to be in super good shape.

Greg,
They won't have the color in their data (yes, too old) but with a sample of the existing and $75, they will match it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:32pm
Have you contacted Minicraft yet for a color matched quart of gel paste?[/QUOTE]

Pete,

They are sending color swatches for me to match.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:30pm

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

On the other hand, the motobox handle repair would be staring me in the face every time I got in!

Yup!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:28pm
With out seeing it I would guess the cracks are very small and common for this area. to stop it from spreading back it up with some glass, then try to buff or wet sand it enough to pass. If you gouge it out and patch it it almost certainly wont match and draw the eye to it. Most people probably wouldn't even notice those hairline cracks anyway. If you plan on gel-n the whole hull by all means gouge away.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:27pm
Not crazy, just not sure I agree with it. I dont know about you, but when I use my boat, I spend more time inside that I do outside- at least up close. A slightly mismatched repair on the hull at the waterline would rarely be seen, and probably not be noticeable from a few feet away. On the other hand, the motobox handle repair would be staring me in the face every time I got in!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:26pm

But that's why I'm using the dogbox as sort of a test piece too. There are plenty of repair areas on the hull that I will have to match

If I see that the matching won't work on the dogbox, it's a smaller area to re-gel and I can practice gellin' away on that.

Is my way of thinking "crazy"?

Michelle,
You're not crazy!! One step at a time until you feel comfortable with a direction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:26pm
What I think they're saying is that gel is a different animal, But I like your thinking!
1988 BFN-sold

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:20pm
I know you are right about that. But that's why I'm using the dogbox as sort of a test piece too. There are plenty of repair areas on the hull that I will have to match and/or I will end up regelling the entire hull.

If I see that the matching won't work on the dogbox, it's a smaller area to re-gel and I can practice gellin' away on that.

Is my way of thinking "crazy"?
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I hear what youre saying, Michelle. My fear is that a color match may not be 100% perfect, and a repair might be even more noticeable than the damage! It wouldnt hurt to see what how it looks after sanding/buffing before going through the trouble of grinding out and refilling.

thats good advise S
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:06pm
I hear what youre saying, Michelle. My fear is that a color match may not be 100% perfect, and a repair might be even more noticeable than the damage! It wouldnt hurt to see what how it looks after sanding/buffing before going through the trouble of grinding out and refilling.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:48pm
Thanks Greg and Tim! Easy enough.

Tim, I'll know it's there even if no one else does, so while I'm knee deep in goop and glass I'll fix it.

Maybe I'll let it go on the "next" project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
  Share Topic