Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 13>
Author
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:33pm
Trizact Hookit 3m pads. I stopped back over and looked at the name, should be available at most autobody supply shops. Velcro backed for use on the DA. Really just for the super fine work if your a perfectionist probably but supposedly the more you sand with fine grits the less work it is to polish out. Looks like the same thing pointed out above but 3m.
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:18pm
for some strange reason you guy's like to work hard at things and keep testing different products and rate them....well all the testing is done, I always go to the source when doing something, someone thats been doing it for years, made the mistakes, doesnt want to work as hard as he used too....
Meguiars 85 diamond cut coumpound 2.0

I use it on boats and it cuts quick chemically, and a splash of dawn in the wet sand bucket also helps
"the things you own will start to own you"
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:06pm
Next Correct Craft for you to restore and collect.

1954 correct craft
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:03pm
Pete,
Would I be able to find these at an auto body shop or do you think I would have to order?
Chelle'
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 11:52am
Michelle,
This may be what Sean is reffering too. Abralon hook and loop wet/dry pands They are available 180 through 4000 grit. I've used them with great success and after I recommended them to Bill (skibum) I seem to remember he used them.

I put them on my electric (plugged into a GFI) and then with a spray bottle of water in one hand and the sander in the other go at it! The water is hard on the bearing under the sanding pad but is easy to replace.

One big caution here is you must hard block wet sand first to flatten out the orange peel. Steve (62wood) mentioned to look for small shiny spots when leveling. Yes, these are the low spots in the orange peel. If you don't hard block first, then the soft sanding pad won't level and you'll still see the bumps and valleys of the orange peel. Hard block until you can barely see the shiny spots and then go to the Abralon.

Edit: Another caution - Do your outside corners by hand!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 11:17am
Thanks, Sean. Please find out the product name if you can. Every post on the site regarding buffing states 3M products. That's what I was planning on using.
Chelle'
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 10:46am
Looking good Michelle! There are some cool new products out there for final sand and buff too. We just finished my dune buggy and a corvette at the body shop next door. The final sanding was done with a special wet pad on an orbital sander then a 3 stage buffing compound. I forgot to ask Ron whose system it was, but given the fine 2000 (i believe) grit of the wet foam looking pad I think Im going to try it on the mustang gell this spring to brighten up the white before it hits the water. Left an incredable smooth finish on all surfaces but seems like an ideal way to finish large flat areas.

Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Are you glad that you stuck with the yucatan now?

Yes, Tim. I am very glad. To think I really disliked it, huh?
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 6:54pm
Gary,

I'm laughing now, but I wasn't laughing then! I had a few other minor issues. I wanted to be able to wake up and head right out to the garage. I went out to start the kerosene heater to knock the chill off. Someone used all the kerosene in the heater and didn't refill it. Of course I can't find the pump, so I use a plastic cup. I filled it up. The wick was left all the way up and it was dry because the heater had nothing in it. I wind the wick down, go to get my long lighter...can't find it. I wound the wick back up and I tried lighting it with a piece of rolled up paper, but every time I put it in, it would go out. At that point, I picked the heater up and carried it outside. I get my gel gun out and I've already looked at it without noticing there was not an attachment for the air hose. So, a trip to the hardware store was needed. By the time I was really ready, it was warm enough outside. It's the little things.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 6:39pm
Michelle,I have retained almost none of my fiberglass experence of 35 yrs ago when I put back on a front fender on my dune buggy that was removed by another car. I do think tho since that particular gun mixes outside of it,you would not an issue with cloging. The other advantage is that you could stop and not worry about it setting up. Thats all past you now and it's looking good. I am sitting here laughing with you on the compressor hose,it's always something.I painted almost my whole trailer forgetting to turn mine on.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 5:00pm
Gary,
That is a really nice gun, but I get a case of the "what if's". I liked having control over the MEKP because I knew how much I put in. Do you think it would gel up in the nozzle and clog?

Chelle'
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

I wonder how they get a whole hull sprayed before it jells- maybe air tight- I need to do some research. Thanks for keeping all the fans up-to-date on your project.

Doug,after looking up the gun Michelle used, I found this one
http://stores.infinityfrp.com/-strse-119/Gelcoat-spray-cup-gun/Detail.bok
They mix after it leaves the gun not before
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:25pm
Tim,
Thanks. I have a collection of different grits. I'll be aggressive, but not too aggressive.

Doug,
The way I was with the gel - I wasn't afraid because you can't really fear trying something that you don't know anything about and haven't tried before. I did the research and tried to learn everything I could, but you can overdo that too. As long as the gel is "tacky", you can spray over it again. There was enough time even when it "gelled" on the hull for me to coat again.
Boat Doc explained to me that the wax is what makes the final coat "air tight" so that it cures properly.
Chelle'
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:11pm
Michelle
I have 5 gallons of white that I would have to tint slightly darker to remain original. Currently I am only doing the deck as my hull is good. If I went 'yucky tan" then I would want to do the whole boat but that would put the project off until the fall as I'm finishing up a car trailer and have a bug under resto plus a move during the summer.The truth is I'm probably dragging my feet because I want to see your boat done and I'm sure that will sell me on a complete.
I wonder how they get a whole hull sprayed before it jells- maybe air tight- I need to do some research. Thanks for keeping all the fans up-to-date on your project.
70 Mustang project
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:05pm
Michelle, looking VERY nice!!! Are you glad that you stuck with the yucatan now? I figure I better ask before you start sanding...

I agree with Pete on starting with a pretty agressive grit- I might even give 220 a shot to knock down that orange peel. Gel is much harder than paint, so you have to be aggressive!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:14pm
Doug,
In my opinion, it would be too much. The temp here on Saturday was 60 degrees. I put the smallest amount of MEKP, as the instructions were 1.5 to 2 tsp per pint. I wanted it to cure as slow as it possibly could because I was afraid I would not be able to keep up. It started gelling in the cup 10-12 minutes after mixed. It gets thicker and then "unworkable". If you let the gel harden before putting another coat on the boat, it is recommended that you sand. If the gel is tacky, you can put a second, third coat over. I can't imagine how quickly the gel coat would set up if it were warmer weather.

What color tint are you using? I have a bright yellow that I will not be using at all.

Chelle'
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:03pm
Michelle I have been following your restoration and slowly acquiring the supplies to do mine. Just a question about guns. Now that you have sprayed yours would you have benefitted by the 8 quart gravity feed attachment(I have a shop compressor that can keep up) or is that to much product to handle at once.
Still love that colour!!!
70 Mustang project
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:50pm
OMG....I'm going to fall off my chair! Do you have the boat in yet?
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

what was I doing the first time you met me?

I believe Blink had brought you to the ski club.
We were having a beer up in the pavilion and you were on the dock fishing. We were admiring your gathering skills. You were gutting fish with your bare hands and teeth. Blink looked at me and said she hunts too. I was like, dude, she's a keeper.......
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:24pm
MOJ',
Thanks!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:19pm
Chelle,
Way to go !! Looks Kick-A$$... Can't wait to see the pics once sanded and buffed.. You're on your way. Nice job..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:13pm
Lee, you are too funny. You know me, my big burly body in flannels with a shotgun by my side. Question...what was I doing the first time you met me?

Hollywood, Steve was expecting you.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:08pm
Pete's rotary dial office phone takes a few days to process the "text" message.

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Michelle,
I "finish" my wet stick, about 4", and wrapped. That light "finger-touch" you get on the bottom to feel the curvature in an "x" pattern. Also, make as long of strokes as possible. I also like to hold the tip to let it swivel with the curves. You dont need a lot of force.

I dont mean to bore you if you know this already.... Everyone probably has a little different technique... this works for me...
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:01pm
You know your setting the bar kind of high for the other girls?
lets see do I date the girl that can knit or the one who can gel coat my boat....tough decision
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 11:19am
Steve,
Thanks for the sanding tips. Bottom first. That way no one will see if I screw up.
Michelle
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 11:15am
Steve,
The instructions for tinting the neutral gel were 1 oz of tint,you can add more, but not less. I added a little more because I added small amounts of red, blue, brown and white to the maize yellow.

Gary,
The gel gun is a G100-6K from Infinity FRP Supply.

I started with a #3 tip and ended up pleased with the #6 tip. The gun came with a #6, but I bought other sizes to try.
I also bought a sleeve of the disposable cups. They were wonderful. Just fill,put on the gun and go.
It did clog up, but not often. I had more issues with the compressor that created more cleaning. I know why they call it gel coat now. It turns into jello before it hardens into conrete. The trick was to clean everything while it was in the jello stage.
You can sandblast with this gun too. They make different tips for different uses.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:37am
Great job Michelle. How about a picture and more info on the gun you used? Check out these sanders- the waterbug 3 models under the heading water sanders and marine
http://www.hutchinsmfg.com/
not sure your compressor could keep up tho and I have seen them for around $250.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 10:57pm
Hey Michelle,
   Did you get any type of formula from the gel coat supplier as to how much pigment needed to be used to get the final color?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 4:34pm
Michelle,
I "finish" my wet sanding (on car paint) with a paint stir stick, cut to about 4", and wrapped with 1000, 1200, ect, grit. That gives you a light "finger-touch". Altho you probably dont have to get that fine with the gel.

Like pete says, start on the bottom to get the feel for how its going to sand, keep the block parallel to the curvature of the hull, and sand in opposing 45 degree angles, making an "x" pattern. Also, make as long of strokes as possible.(ok Hollywood,jump in here!) I also like to hold the block towards the ends by my finger tips to let it swivel with the curves. You dont need to put a lot of force on the block... let the sandpaper do the work.

Occasionally dry the area and look for shiney spots...those are the "low" areas of the orange peel that still need sanding. When the hull is completely dull ,your there and ready for buffing.

I dont mean to bore you if you know this already....too many people just jump in and sand hap-hazardly. Everyone probably has a little different technique... this works for me...hope it will help?

Good Luck and keep the pics coming!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

BTW, Pete, I sent you a text yesterday. Did you receive or did I text a stranger? LOL

I didn't notice it in my on line office email. I'll check tomorrow when I get to work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic