NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 13>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 1:13pm
Sanity, gotta admire anyone with that muck "SPUNK".
I talk to Dr. Pete almost everyday, he helps me thru the "hills and valleys".
May have a new twist on the DR. thing, we could have a 1-800-275-7383= 1-800-ASK-PETE.
He could do it like one of those 1-900 numbers and charge 7.00 a minute.
There have to be ways to supplement our income in these trying economic times, this could be your "calling" Pete........Boat dr
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Pete, Do you think the "must" use 1 oz. has something to do with opacity? I bought the neutral gel coat.

Yes, The 1oz. is a minimum otherwise you end up with a translucent gel.

I'd tint the whole 1 gal. batch so you don't have to worry about small quantity color matching.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 12:24pm
Pete, Do you think the "must" use 1 oz. has something to do with opacity? I bought the neutral gel coat.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 12:20pm
Thanks Pete. My biggest worry is getting the gel to match. The application will be pleasurable work. I can mix the tint in the gel beforehand and store till ready to apply. I'll try mixing a pint and see how it goes. It surprised me to find out that you "must" use 1 oz. of tint per gallon, yet you can add as much as you need of any or all colors to reach your desired shade. It's a poly paste and it won't alter the gelcoat as far as using the reducer or MEKP. That doesn't make sense if you "must" use one oz.
I picked up some measuring spoons at the dollar store for this.
Chelle'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 12:03pm
Michelle,
I shouldn't have even asked!!! You have been so thorough with every step - I admire your ambitions!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Blink, Forget about the boat this weekend, you better take michelle over to Cabella's

Or you could take her down to the river, dunk her and then wet sand her. with photos please!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 11:55am
Good Morning Pete,

I purchased the reducer that the manufacturer recommended and supplied. You are correct.
A few manufacturers recommend not using a reducer with their gel coat. Blink bought a gel gun that came with #6 and I purchased additional tips #3, #4 & #5. I can't recall the mm sizes off hand, but again I purchased what was recommended. #4 was the recommended size, so I bought 1 size up and 1 down. The specs are 5% on the reducer, but depending on the weather, they said (as well as the specs) that you can add more or less. Longer dry to "tacky" time if you add more. The MEKP works the same way.
If the gel gun isn't working for me, we have the auto paint gun too.
Chelle'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 11:34am
Michelle,
I don't recall ever discussing reducers (solvents) unless it was way back when I mentioned always going with what the manufacturer of the gell recommends. I know I mentioned fluid tip size recommendations and it's relationship to viscosity. Did you get the solvent too? Did you get reduction specs?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 11:18am
I would gladly go to Cabella's! I could use a few "fishing" items.

Eric, I'm sure you'll be be at home working on your scrap book.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 10:25am
Blink, Forget about the boat this weekend, you better take michelle over to Cabella's
"the things you own will start to own you"
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 12:35am
A fricking 12 gauge!
what else would you use?

quote from Napoleon Dynamite
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 12:27am
Hey Lee, need some muscle here! Can't get the dang gel coat gallons opened! Lids must be gelled on. Co-worker stopped by and he couldn't open them either. Guess I'll bring the channnel locks home to loosen. Just wanted to see what it looked like.

skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 12:09am
If you are going to wet sand her i want pictures blink!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 12:04am
Sanity needs attention too
blink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2009 at 3:57pm
Did you ask them if we could wet sand in the rain There might be a 1994 nautique in the driveway this weekend that could use some attention , look at the bright side we won't need buckets
BTW looks like I lost my 82-2001 to sanity
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 7:24pm
Time to move this back to the front so I am able to keep all of my gel together.
I have everything to begin - Good News! It is raining today and is forecasted to rain throughout Sunday. Not so good news, but I'll be doubly ready when the rain goes away. I even called the gel supplier and asked about applying gel on a rainy day in hopes that he would say Do It! Didn't happen. I will continue in steps though, as the garage walls need covered, as well as the floor. And I'll wipe the mustang down with acetone again. No sweat!
Chelle'
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:11am
Steve, Congratulations to you and your family!
Yes, we are going to try mixing the gel ourselves. I'm ordering 5 gal. so that should give us a fair amount to play with till we get the right mix.

Eric, No, not sealing with anything first. It's been recommended that the gel goes right over the existing gel.

Gary, Thank you. I appreciate your offer. But I need 4 oz. of tint per gallon.
Your trailer looks great and to think they were able to blast while you waited makes it all the nicer.
I like what you did with your seats. I don't have a glove box. I like the idea of being able to turn the seat around. I'm thinking of a light gray carpet, white seats with black beading in mine. I like where your battery box is too. I would really like to have a "horse". Blink saw a transport company truck that had a stallion logo on it. It looked similar to the "Mustang". I put the company in my favorites and we are tossing around "how" to have one made.

Chelle'
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 2:17am
By the way here is what I did with my seats-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 2:09am
Michelle, I have minicrafts color samples http://www.minicraft.com/fantex.htm
If you want I could send those samples that are close to your yucky tan. You might find a stock color thats close enough.As to trailers and sandblasting,I got this done for 200,done same day I called and while I waited.In my area the prices were all pretty close.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 11:34pm
   WOW!!

Our son got married last week, so I havent checked out all the CCF posts... looks like catch up time for me again!!

Michelle, Are you planning to mix the gel yourself?   

I hafta say ...your a gutsy kid, doing as much work on the boat yourself! With that attitude. you'll be able to do it! I like your style!    

YUCKY TAN FOREVER!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 11:13pm
san, are you putting a sealer on first? if so tint the sealer with yellow, sometimes dark spots will show through
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Sanity, did you read skibum's learning curve on spraying gel? If memory serves, he started with one gun and switched to another.

Greg, I do refer to skibum's site as I move forward. He did switch to a high end auto spray gun.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It depends on the seats.
Even the real early ones with the aluminum frames were reversible. What seats do you have? can't remember!

I have no front seats at all. I have the rear seat. I pulled the thread on how to make the seats. I wanted the passenger seat to face backwards.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 10:53pm
remember the furnace flame or woodburner with the overspray.... if your doing it in the garage, even though it doesnt atomize very well like pete said but, the fumes flash as they dry
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by skinaut skinaut wrote:

Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

Probably ruin the fire mask, I would get some good thick 3-M masks and goggles, dont forget to cover any exposed skin with vasoline, makes the paint on your face wipe off without touline, xylene or paint thinners. Tear it up!

I am not a painter but is a particle mask enough?
I thought you needed a fresh air mask to shoot this kind of stuff.

The fresh air supplied masks are recommended for the 2 part poly paints but not absolutely needed. The gel and the poly both have the solvents but a mask with the proper solvent type cartridges will do it. It's the isocyanate catalyst in the linear polys that is the nasty stuff! A P100 rated cartridge will take care of it if you're in a room with some ventilation and not down in a bilge!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Sanity, did you read skibum's learning curve on spraying gel? If memory serves, he started with one gun and switched to another.

Greg,
Bill started with a cheap "disposable" spatter type gun that he got from US Composites. He then switched to a I believe a siphon feed and had to really reduce the gel to get it through the gun.
I've had good luck with a pressure feed with a generous size fluid tip. You get quite a lot of orange peel but you will get it no matter how you shoot it. Gel doesn't like to be atomized!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

Probably ruin the fire mask, I would get some good thick 3-M masks and goggles, dont forget to cover any exposed skin with vasoline, makes the paint on your face wipe off without touline, xylene or paint thinners. Tear it up!

I am not a painter but is a particle mask enough?
I thought you needed a fresh air mask to shoot this kind of stuff.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 9:35pm

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Pete, did the passenger seat always face forward on the 66 mustangs?

Chelle'

Michelle,
It depends on the seats.
Even the real early ones with the aluminum frames were reversible. What seats do you have? can't remember!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 7:27pm
Sean, you should join in and become a Steeler fan. Or you should go to Seven Springs or Hidden Valley...that way you would have the slopes to yourself. We are supposed to get quite a bit of snow Tues into Wed.

Pete, those coveralls are very becoming. I think the ones I got have the hood and boot covers. Although, the bouffant kind of catches my eye.

Pete, did the passenger seat always face forward on the 66 mustangs?

Chelle'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic