Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
Author
WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 3:51am
It is open when the boat has warmed to normal operating tempature. to maintain the tempature, the thermostat must be open for cooling. I suppose you could remove the thermostat all together if you doubt it being open. -100 im sure can be found anywhere. we get it in 55 gallon barrels. good stuff
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 12:59am
You have x-ray vision? You know when it is open? I want some of that NY -100F antifreeze.
Tim D
WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 9:51pm
Catching antifreeze in buckets until the engine is hot sounds like an incredible amount of work for no reason. At the marina, we run the motor on water until it is all warmed up, change the oil, and then run it again. you can tell if the thermostat is open by feeling the housing until it is toasty. you can also generally assume that it is open after a while of running the motor. When you have determined the thermostat to be open, water to the engine is turned off, and 5 gal of antifreeze (-100F) is turned on and let run through the engine. while it is running through, we like to fog the motor. when the antifreeze is almost out, you fog the hell out of it and choke it out. finished. I do not understand why antifreeze is such a waste of money and unnecessary. I personally cannot afford to risk not draining the motor completely or something unforeseen happening and ruining the motor. a 100 gallons of antifreeze is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new engine.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 2:30pm
You ran it through by the raw water pump? If the thermostat isn't open, it will just spit it out the exhaust. I catch mine in buckets and recycle until I have hot antifreeze coming out the exhaust. I take the belt off the raw water pump. I don't mess with fogging, I just crank it about once a month and let it run about 10 seconds. That keeps the carb from drying out and everything lubed on the inside.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 9:49am
Chris,
Go into the reference section and find the Chrysler manual. Download it as you should have it anyway. You'll find a section in it on layup and it will show you all the drain locations. However, the 318 has the typical plugs on each side of the block, one in each exhaust manifold and then one at the bottom of the RWP.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
trihartsfield View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trihartsfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 9:31am
Can someone direct me to an older post on step by step winterizing. I have a 1970 Barracuda with a 318 and want to get it winterized.

Also any information on what I need to add to the gas and to the carb.

Thanks

Chris
Chris
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 9:10am
With all the water drained out, 0 gallons of antifreeze would be fine. Some drain only and have no problems. I only use about a 1/2 gallon per boat simply as a extra "just in case" there's some water still in a block. 5 gallons is just wasting money.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
2000CanadaAirNAutiqu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000CanadaAirNAutiqu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 2:13am
I'm the new owner of a 2000Air Nautique. I winterized it today, I ran it in the driveway for about 10min, then I drained all the water out of the 5 plugs. I ran 5 gallons of RV antifreeze throught it, I unhooked the inlet and used that to run it through. The bucket went dry and it ran for a few seconds with no Anti-Freeze running through. Will this be sufficent for the winter. Or is there a way I can add more antifreeze to make sure all is good. It is a GT-40 EFI. And how do you winterize the ballest tanks?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
  Share Topic