NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 13>
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 6:18pm
Bruce,

In the 70's, my parents living room was dark green carpet and gold furniture.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 5:38pm
LOL, my reference was not in reference to your reference.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 5:32pm
OK Bruce, I just edited that post because that was not a very good reference.
True...but not a good reference.
Chelle'
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 5:32pm
In the 60's I've heard them referred to as pastel colors. Their orange was the only bright color I've seen. I've got a friend that has a Wildcat in that color. He bought it new, but it's been painted a few times over the years.

Fern green and Inca Gold remind me of early 70's appliances. But, I've seen Tim's boat and it is beautiful.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 5:19pm
The seafoam is a nice color. I always liked it.

If you think about it, alot of the cc boat colors were the colors popular in homes too during that period.

CC didn't have any bright colors then did they? Seems like they were all the warmer, faded colors.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 5:09pm
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Much to my surprise, I've had a few people ask me if I was going to paint the Mustang, I think because of the color, seafoam green. I really like that color.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

This site does something to your mind. Some of these colors I used to hate. Couldn't figure out why anyone would do that to a boat. Now I like them all.

Bruce,
That is sooo funny. I really disliked the yuckytan. You could ask anyone on the site and/or anyone that knows me and they would agree. "That" was the worst color that mustang could have been! Then I started removing the paint. Still hated it. It wasn't till it was almost all yuckytan. It began feeling like a "warm" and inviting color.
Love it now!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 4:32pm
This site does something to your mind. Some of these colors I used to hate. Couldn't figure out why anyone would do that to a boat. Now I like them all.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:57pm
My mustang is a softer tannish/yellow. Can't think of another way to describe the color. "Yuckytan" Really, I love it now.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

Just for "yucks"- did you see Todds boat in the Parts for sale section?

For the record, I dont think Todd's boat is the Yucatan Yellow. I believe its the Inca Gold, like my Skier.

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:45pm
WOW...

I can't imagine having to sell that.
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 3:30pm
Just for "yucks"- did you see Todds boat in the Parts for sale section?
70 Mustang project
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Originally posted by skinaut skinaut wrote:

The yuk yel is going to look great. I am glad you stuck with it. At this rate you will be done in time for the regatta!

Wouldn't that be great? One more circle to run in. That's a wonderful idea with the period suits and all. I don't know if everyone would appreciate that or not? I know the antique boat "people" would. First regatta meeting is Thursday. Here we go.

Chelle'

if they don't get it then to bad for them, everyone that does would get a kick out of it.
I can see us after a couple adult beverages and the drivers safety meeting in the morning.
Blinky would announce (white skippers cap on and a pipe clinched between his teeth) "Say Buffy, let's take the kids for a ski!"
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 1:10pm
Thanks, guys.

Moj' it is all yuckytan! I am hand delivering the dog box to the "magic paint matcher" on Saturday morning. he is giving me the color codes and a sample paint will be made. Then from there, the matched paint gets sent for gel.

h20, no, the gel that's left on the hull will remain. From what everyone told me, as long as the prep is done correctly, gelling over existing will not be a problem. If there are existing cracks, blisters....everything needs to be repaired first.
Cracking or craising can happen if the gel is put too thick. It's a learning experience and believe me...I will follow all instructions so there's little chance of that happening. If it does...it is repairable too.
My eye protection did go on in the dusties. Highly recommend eye protection.

Riley....I hope so!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 12:47pm
You're unbelievable. I bet you'll be running around in it 4th of July.
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 12:35pm
Michele- will you take the gell right down to the fibreglass? Do any of your advisers express concern about the new gell being too thick in some spots and prone to cracking or craising?
Glad to see your helper has gloves, mask and eye protection!!!
70 Mustang project
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 12:15pm
Chelle,
And the boat is yellow !!!! I was wondering how you'd get that nasty black paint off the bottom.. Just getting after it did the job I see... Looks awesome !! Great job!!

Now where's that guy with the camera to get some gel???

What are you going to do for powering this rig??

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 11:59am
We are doing the same thing on the wood boat right now. It does make a mess in a hurry, Id rather do about anything than sand at this point...Keep up the good work!
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2009 at 11:46am
What a mess

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 4:18pm
Sanity,
WoW! Just read the entire thread! Sure beats studying for class! Your work is definitely inspiring as I will be going through the same process with a 70 skier here in the near future! I'm learning lots just by reading! Being at school limits my shop time. As for now I will have to follow your thread and wish I was home with the boat!

Looks great! Lets see some more pics!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 11:22am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

You need to get a regular furnace or a radiant heater in there. It would have to make it more confortable and less fumey.

Wouldn't that be nice? Although the torpedo heater isn't plugged in very long and the garage is pretty well insulated, so it stays warm for a while before it needs heated again. Maybe down the road there's a radiant heater in store...we'll see how many more projects I come up with.
Chelle'
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 11:16am
Originally posted by skinaut skinaut wrote:

The yuk yel is going to look great. I am glad you stuck with it. At this rate you will be done in time for the regatta!

Wouldn't that be great? One more circle to run in. That's a wonderful idea with the period suits and all. I don't know if everyone would appreciate that or not? I know the antique boat "people" would. First regatta meeting is Thursday. Here we go.

Chelle'
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 11:12am
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

Do you have the deck sanded AND polished already?

Where's the food??

The deck is sanded, not polished. We'll go over it again after we're done gelling the bottom up to the rubrails.
Food in the house, beer in the snow outside.

Eric, I was going to reply to your comment, but HW did a fine job with that already.

Chelle
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2009 at 2:15am
WoW, Been gone traveling for the holidays and now trying to get caught up at home and finally took a look to see how you are doing. Holy cow you have made a lot of progress. The small army of guys came in handy too. I think that's called the reserves.I should ask Blinky, he would know.
I just got a cool idea, for the antique boat parade the kids can ski by the crowd in period correct swim wear and skis. The pilot in a white skippers cap. maybe blinky with a pipe in his mouth....HA!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 11:04pm
where's the beer? I would really consider using the boat as a sled, pledge the bottem and it will feel like the chevy option
"the things you own will start to own you"
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 9:26pm
Do you have the deck sanded AND polished already?

You definitely had the option of just flipping it in the snowbank!!!LOL

Where's the food??
70 Mustang project
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:55pm
Crap, just lost another inch.

Quinner - Stay out of it from what Brownie tells me you don't have much to lose.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:48pm
Bwahahahaha,
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:17pm
You're just jealous because with that face for radio of yours standing around and looking pretty isn't an option.

<-- LMAO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:13pm
my observation, your more boss than employee, probably didnt want to break a nail lol, my lmao for the day
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic