Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

spring tune up

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spring tune up
    Posted: April-07-2008 at 11:05pm
You're welcome Phil,

Glad I could help. These guys have helped me out a ton over the past 2 years, so I'm glad I could give back in my own small way.

Have fun.

Joe
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 7:27pm
cool, i do have the prestolite clip down so i will order a new rotor from vintage.

thanks Joe

-phil
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 7:20pm
What distributor do you have. You can use the vintage performance website to find out which pertronix you have and go from there.

If you have the prestolite with clip down cap you have the #1581 kit.

Joe
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 7:12pm
cool, i wonder if that rotor will work in my kit? i bought the boat with this electronic kit so i don't know exactly which kit it has.

what do you think?
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 7:05pm
Thanks Phil,

I emailed Vintage... here is the what they said.

I purchased a Pertronix EI Conversion Kit #1581from
you last spring. I'm planning a tune-up this spring and
need another rotor. I assume I'll need a similar rotor
that came in the kit. Can I buy one from you guys?

If so... please provide part#, price and ordering info.

Ford 351W Marine with Prestolite Clip Down Distributor.

Their response...

Joe,

Is there a problem with your existing rotor? I'd be very surprised if
there is after just one season. I'd suggest just inspecting it. At
worst there might be a little discoloring at the electrode or just a
hint of corrosion which could be readily scraped off.

Yes, we do offer a replacement rotor, p/n 1581R, $7.50, free shipping,
if you really need one.

Carl
Retro Rockets

Hope that helps.

Joe
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 1:18pm
joed, i called skidim today, they told me that the rotor in the pertronix kits has some sort of magnet in it?? they told me to check napa... i will check napa later this week and see if they carry it.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 4:35pm
thanks, going to order one now..... sucks i have to take that thing apart again, kind of a pain, but now i know.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 4:28pm
nope, when i bought the new impeller it only came with the o-ring gasket.
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 4:28pm
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 4:20pm
I'm not familiar with the Sherwood Pump, but I'd guess if there was a gasket there to begin with, you'll need a new gasket to stop it from leaking. You didn't get a new gasket with the Impeller? In a pinch you could probably use some RTV Sealant, but a new gasket would be the best route.

HTH

Joe
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 4:09pm
no skiing yet, only the boat launch area is thawed. the rest of the lake is all slush... but hopefully next weekend we should be good. i live in wisconsin near milwaukee.

ok, water pump...
just leaking a little bit doesn't seem to be leaking by the o-ring.

it's a sherwood. i replaced the rubber o-ring, but between the plate and the actuall pump there was a paper gasket, it was all jacked up so i didn't put that back. make sense?

if i make it any tighter i think i'll strip the bolt head.
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 3:50pm
Ok... good, glad to hear it's running well!

I'm not sure what raw water pump you have. I have a Johnson. If it's similar... you have 2 possible places for leaking.

1. The front plate gasket. Just tighten it up if the gasket is seated right and in good condition.

2. The rear seal. If it's leaking "behind" the pump the rear seal may need to be replaced.

Is it leaking bad, or just dripping a little bit.?

You going skiing today? Where do you live?

Cheers.

Joe
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 3:41pm
7 just because i had one plug out so i could see the spark....

i just brought her to the lake and let it run for a few minutes, seems to be running good.. started right up and seemed to be very responsive. i did have a little water leak where i put the raw water pump back together after replacing the impeller, maybe i need to make it a little tighter?
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 3:02pm
Phil,

Great!!!

Where to get the new rotor? Good question. I need to find one too, cause I'm planning a tune up also. I got my EI conversion kit from

Vintage Performance

I'm going to contact them tomorrow and I'll keep you posted. Let me know if you find out anything on your end please.

Also... you stated firing on "all 7 cylinders".    Uhh... what happened to the 8th?

Glad you got it started.

Have fun.

Joe
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:21pm
simple and overlooked, good to hear you got it going, good call Joed

"the things you own will start to own you"
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:05pm
BINGO! you called it wrong rotor. put the old one back in turned the key, saw spark and wanted to fire up on 7 cylinders.

question is, where do i get a new rotor?

thanks so much. just made my day.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:52pm
hey,

the rotor did look a little bit different then the one i took out.....

i'll try and re-swap the old one back in. i'll report back again..

thanks gents.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:30pm
thats the first thing that popped in my head was the rotor, ive been there and did that, not seating the rotor all the way,wrong parts, bad tachs shorting the coil, forgeting to re-connect wires, *************** happens to all of us...many countless and payless hours trying to figure this crap out. i d*cked with a boat for 3 days on an issue like this, got the boat in the water go to fire it and the same GD thing happened, the crew was ready to fish the cooler was full and they looked at me like i was an idiot. went to the parts store for my third coil and the old timer behind the counter knew the engine and said try removing your tach wire from the coil, sure as *************** we were fishing within the hour. thank god for old timers
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:02pm
Phil,

Which distributor do you have?

If you have the prestolite with clip-down cap... the rotor may be the issue. I have that distributor and when I upgraded to Pertronix, the kit included a rotor as well. I don't have the documentation handy but something about the "stock" rotor might not work for some reason.

If this is the case try putting your old rotor back in and see if it solves the no-fire problem.

Let us know. I know how frustrating this can be, but bear with this group. You'll get it figured out.

Good luck!

Joe
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:40am
I dont know guys, do these rotors have the metal piece at the bottem for the pick-up? maybe the wrong rotor? ...he converted, I dont know the Fords real well but with the chevy's i had a bad pick-up last week and these guy's (boat owner) replaced EVERYTHING but the pick-up, they even bought 2 coils and still thought it was the coil. it really is hard to diagnose this stuff without being there usually it is always something very simple or overlooked
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 3:27am
i had to run out and buy a battery charger but when i got home and checked out the manual it says "not recommended for delco voyager" and i have a AC delco voyager 720mca. my battery has a little eye on it and it's still green, and cranking.. i can't believe it's still cranking. at any rate i'll try tomorrow. i've been working on the boat pretty much all day and night and am very frustrated.

could the ignition coil just go bad over winter? i don't think it's all that old, it's a petronix flame thrower.

ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 3:14am
Waiting to here if what joed posted works for you. Good Luck!!!!!!!
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:20am
boat dr, that language is chinese to me. breaking? i did replace both belts today too...

my boat has been converted to electronic ignition too, in case that helps.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:54am
phospher , wish you were closer......
Are you sure the points are "BREAKING"
You should have a .020 break when the points arm is on top of the cam......
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:36am
Well that's the first thing... make sure your battery is good and charged.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:33am
ok, i think my battery is getting weak.....
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:29am
Maybe this will help...

Ignition Coil Test

1. Disconnect the ignition coil output wire at the distributor cap.
   2. Connect a spark plug to the end of the ignition coil output wire which you just disconnected.
   3. Connect a ground wire to the threaded portion of the spark plug.
   4. Disconnect the ignition coil ground wire from the negative terminal on the coil .
   5. Connect one end of a ground wire to the ignition coil negative terminal.
   6. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
   7. Tap the other end of the ignition coil ground wire jumper on an good grounding point and look for sparks at the spark plug that correspond to the frequency of your tapping of the ground wire.
   8. If you have a good spark at the spark plug, the ignition coil is good.
   9. If you don't get a good spark, check for approximately 12 VDC from the coil positive terminal to ground with the ignition switch in the ON position. You should also get approximately 12 VDC from the coil negative terminal to ground

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:19am
ok this is weird as hell to me. during cranking the engine i see no spark, but just as the engine stops cranking i see it spark once or twice.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:17am
sorry, bout that. okay, going to go hook a spark plug into the coil. i'll report back in 3 minutes.

ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:15am
Maybe I'm miss reading this, but if you put your plug in the middle of the distributer cap, you just unhooked the coil. Probably just not understanding your terminology
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic