NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 Mustang - Cutting out at High Speed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 Mustang - Cutting out at High Speed
    Posted: August-29-2009 at 12:32am
I would suspect the distributor cap. Maybe it has a crack or other defect in it. If you still have your old one, you could try that.

On 2nd thought, you could check the dwell, or point gap, & timing too. If the problem started after the tune up, maybe something is amiss there.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JR Gusick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR Gusick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2009 at 7:33pm
Hahaha, I'm not sure of anything. This was an over night problem. One day it was all out the next day it was missing at full. I just had the points and Dist. cap replaced and in nutural you can floor it and it just purs and dosen't miss. My gut is telling me there is a wire grounding out or a bad electrical connection.

JR Gusick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR Gusick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2009 at 7:24pm
Hahaha, I'm not sure of anything. This was an over night problem. One day it was all out the next day it was missing at full. I just had the points and Dist. cap replaced and in nutural you can floor it and it just purs and dosen't miss. My gut is telling me there is a wire grounding out or a bad electrical connection.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2009 at 7:19pm
Are you sure the timing isn't too high?
Tim D
JR Gusick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR Gusick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2009 at 12:41pm
OMC 230 Motor, and the carb and motor were rebuilt last year.

The motor starts and idles fine. It jumps out of the hole at full throttle just fine but after it planes it will start cutting out. It usually starts after about 400 yards. I don’t think the fuel is getting interrupted because I will get a little bit of a back fire meaning fuel is still dumping into the manifold but not igniting. I am going to look for some bad wiring tomorrow. Does this sound like it could be a coil problem?   Remember it only happens at full throttle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic