NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
Author
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing Question
    Posted: October-25-2009 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Sadly enough, have not used it in a month, should I still not worry about it, and is there any ethonal-free gas in FL?

Sadly enough just about everything around here is aat least 10% Ethanol. Before you put it up for the winter use Valvtect Ethanol Gasoline treatment. Should also use it through out the season.
Check out the web site, good stuff! http://www.valvtect.com/

We can still get ethonal-free up here and is found at alot of the marinas. I have been fortunate not to have had to use ethonal since I've had the 206, but was asking about FL because I was planning on coming down to St. John's.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 11:39am
you cant fool me with the PG websites, dont overdue it
"the things you own will start to own you"
SRB85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRB85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 11:22pm
Everyone,
I got two beers down and I am only on page 4 of this thread. Wife and daughters are out east on vacation so I am on the web - pg websites only.
I may have to restock the fridge if I want to continue.

Thanks to all for staying in character!

SRB
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

What about using something such as MEK to dissolve it and then just vacuum it up? Turning it to goo may be more trouble though than hacking away at it

The permissible exposure limit is only 200PPM so not the greatest stuff to breath. That's not the worst part - it's flash point is only 21*F. Then, what do you do with the "goo"? We've already talked about AF disposal issues!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 9:28pm
I don't think it would be a good idea to spread that much MEK around, not good stuff to work around!
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:43pm
I guess I would love to see an alternative to chiseling it out. If you did melt it away, I wonder what it would do to all the nasty mold and such in there. It took me the better part of three nights (with a couple beer breaks) and 15 medium lawnbags. I still have a couple hours of whittling the little stuff out, but the really messy stuff is done.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:30pm
On foam removal, It appears people have a difficult time removing it. What about using something such as MEK to dissolve it and then just vacuum it up? Turning it to goo may be more trouble though than hacking away at it
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

No, just child rearing.

ROFLOL!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

[QUOTE=GottaSki] I would try empty soda bottles if I was doing one over.

Do they have Coast Guard approved soda bottles (that's 'pop' west of the 'ol Miss)?

Kidding aside - I really think this is a legitimate idea - would there be risk that these would move around & squeak going over waves? How about material degradation when exposed to oil or . . . A/F in the spring?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by imdeeds imdeeds wrote:

By the way is this the correct thread to talk about the best oil,Obama,and religion?

No, just child rearing.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

imdeeds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imdeeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:12pm
Dont know much about freezing.I build large field sprayers and we have to winterize them.A few years ago we was talking about rv antifreeze and a guy said"a half glass of rv antifreeze will get you effed up".I am real sure he knew for a fact.By the way is this the correct thread to talk about the best oil,Obama,and religion?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:08pm
There's three gas stations near me that sell ethanol free, 87 octane. The way I winterize mine, mentioned earlier has worked for me. About 5 years ago we had some unusual cold weather, freezing rain, 2 foot long ice. Here's a pic.

Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:05pm
I read they put it in animal food and in pills. No thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:02pm
^^wow^^

I will pass.

What in the hell would you add that too, foodwise?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 7:20pm
-Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive.
applications:
-As a humectant food additive, labeled as E number E1520

mmmmm good to the last drop
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Sadly enough, have not used it in a month, should I still not worry about it, and is there any ethonal-free gas in FL?

Your local airport.

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 7:12pm

Sadly enough just about everything around here is aat least 10% Ethanol. Before you put it up for the winter use Valvtect Ethanol Gasoline treatment. Should also use it through out the season.
Check out the web site, good stuff! http://www.valvtect.com/
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I'm sure its a lot easier to renoodle than to refoam.

What a treat they would be to remove.

WLS, cleared by the FDA?    I do recall seeing the statement "generally regarded as safe" on the label. Not sure that really means approved for use, or not.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:57pm
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

My pool noodles have been in service since spring of '96. I'll reach in grab one, let you know how its fairing.
I suspect they are fine, but I'm sure its a lot easier to renoodle than to refoam.

The ones I checked were used in an indoor pool with virtually no sitting out in the sun. I would try empty soda bottles if I was doing one over.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:49pm
Would not bother!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Thoughts on anything other than stabilizer if I'm keeping her in a heated shop?

Ryan,
I'll fog and Stabil only and not even bother with draining.

Please pardon my ignorance, but how would I fog it(ZR6)? When I was a kid we would just pour some marvel down the carb, but in this case...Should I pull the plugs and just squirt some in the cylinders? I'll likely use it on New Years Day, or down at St. John's at the latest so should I even bother?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:43pm
My pool noodles have been in service since spring of '96. I'll reach in grab one, let you know how its fairing.
I suspect they are fine, but I'm sure its a lot easier to renoodle than to refoam.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:43pm
oh don't worry, im sure the additives would just clean the digestive tract right up
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:39pm
im afraid of the rust additives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:18pm
Surprisingly enough, the pink AF is cleared for use in food products by the FDA. Interesting. Soon the lake that my marina is on will be pink, edible, and available for use all year!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 5:53pm
BTW, if I cant drink it straight, its poisen
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 5:51pm
and GD, here i thought things shrank when they froze
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 5:46pm
^^Which is why you drain first.^^

One question I have is when you read the jugs of RV AF I used, they say "guaranteed burst protection to -50* F."   I highly doubt the AF company is going to come across with a new engine, despite the guarantee they offer for all applications, including marine engines.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

joe_schindler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_schindler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 5:24pm
One thing I’d like to know from the “fill your engine with antifreeze” bunch is; which freezes first; nothing, or antifreeze?

Not all antifreeze is created equally.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
  Share Topic