NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

returning point ..back on track!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: returning point ..back on track!!!
    Posted: November-30-2009 at 6:24pm
Very nice! Must be relieving to have it running pretty good now.
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2009 at 4:10pm
I think he hit a tree!!!!
My Blue 82SOLD!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2009 at 3:25pm
got the alternator back in the boat..put a new startter selenoid..had to put 3 bateries to jump start..finally got it running...now it crages fine..let it idle a while to let the battery get charge..shut it down and try to restart it..goal....it fires right up..so out we went....
I can say now I feel some diference on those added horses...when you hit it, it puts your back against the seat!!!!

about the SS exhaust..its a little louder than the original ruber one...

after the ride I decided to check how the spark plugs are burning...

I removed all and they are all the same way...

and tommy here learning how to drive...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2009 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

maybe a new starter relay is needed or

Couldn't hurt since it's a cheap part to begin with, or try jumping it with a screwdriver next time it won't start.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2009 at 3:19pm
odd..went today after putting back the old 45 power valve which was in good condition....put the carb in the engine..jumped wires to the battery with a fresh fully charged battery..pumped fuel to fill the carb..one turn of the key..and she fired right up and kept idling with no adjustemnt done....a little high on the rpm as it was set before ..lower the screw adjusted mixture and thats it..now it idles fine..around 800-900 rpm...
so out we went to a little test drive....she is nearly hitting the 10 hours of use...I give it a little more than other times and now I feel the difference in the take off..she is really pulling....
then went back to the marina..turned off and tried to turn it with engine hot..it started perfect..no hesitation at all.
Alternator is in the shop to be rebuild, starter now works like a champ...maybe a new starter relay is needed or a new wire from it to the starter..at least I narrowed the problem to that two things....
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2009 at 1:11pm

It seems that we are having a problem with the power valve? the original one that was replaces had the 4.5 stamped an the one that came in the kit is 6.5...that may be the cause of the rich running carb I guess...

Nope, the change in power valve wont cause the dripping out of the mains at idle. I bet youve got some debris in the needle/seat.

While you have it apart, Id consider swapping out the PV though. With the newer higher flowing parts, the engine will pull a little less vacuum- so you want a PV that opens easier than before (larger than 6.5), not harder. Im running a 7.5 PV and have great throttle response.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2009 at 10:12pm
well was a rainy weekend so I was able to go today in the morning to do some testings..So first attemp..the tic sound as when thers no tenough juice in the battery and the starter doesn´t kick in. we out another battery and the same....but the rear relay di some ticking sound...I gues I´m having a faulty switch there...We put the battery directly to the starter and it turned just fine..then with the engine running I was able to get some readings..the alternator is not charging readings are in about 12v with the engine runnning.
So we went to the carb tunning then...its still dripping lots of gas while at idle..adjusted the 2 floats and they are ok.. It seems that we are having a problem with the power valve? the original one that was replaces had the 4.5 stamped an the one that came in the kit is 6.5...that may be the cause of the rich running carb I guess...
So finally we removed both the carb and the alternator to have them check in the shop...
will report back...At least starter is working...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2009 at 5:35pm
no luck with the starter..I might buy a new unit and forget..Its strange...I now doubt about being the alternator not charging enough as the first days with the new battery it started right up and now after some days no turn....but I could not test it as I didn´t take the tester to read..lol...
Tomorrow I´ll know best as the guy that did the starter rebuilt will go to the boat and test the starter there insitu!!!
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2009 at 3:31pm

LOL

one thig I noticed with the engine, its now running cooler than it did previous to the rebuilt...it did run before in the 160-170 range..now its running in 150...no matter the rpm so far....Im running the same t-stat and impeller so no change there. Is it possible that now water is flowing better due to the clean up of the block and cylinder heads? I remember the water passages had some junk build up when I teared the engine out?
Or more hp thus the engine is running with less effort?

You probably have a better ground than before.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2009 at 3:25pm
I run around 150-155, so Id say youre good.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2009 at 3:16pm
I guess so then...and say 150 is a good Tº or is it a little bit Low?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2009 at 3:10pm
The clean up of the block and heads may be part of it- I doubt the added hp has any effect. More likely, your hoses are all sealed better now, having removed and reinstalled them all.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2009 at 2:51pm
LOL

one thig I noticed with the engine, its now running cooler than it did previous to the rebuilt...it did run before in the 160-170 range..now its running in 150...no matter the rpm so far....Im running the same t-stat and impeller so no change there. Is it possible that now water is flowing better due to the clean up of the block and cylinder heads? I remember the water passages had some junk build up when I teared the engine out?
Or more hp thus the engine is running with less effort?
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2009 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Keep at it...if she's like a woman, you just need to push the right buttons to get her purring like a kitten ;-)

Hahaha, hey kapla, this is when I sell or trade.......   

You mean when you "GET TRADED"
Greg

86 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2009 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Keep at it...if she's like a woman, you just need to push the right buttons to get her purring like a kitten ;-)

Hahaha, hey kapla, this is when I sell or trade.......   
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2009 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

About the carb it squirting uneven fuel while idling...and thus it shut off....under load or at cruise it runs fine...So we adjusted the primary float level but finally could not test it as it would not start again...

Beware its not the evenness that is the main issue, you should not be seeing fuel from any venturi at all, at idle.

Actually you got me right I meant it was spilling raw fuel at idle on the primaries....Now we adjusted the float..but will be able to test it once I get the starter again...for the 3rd time to the rebuilt shop..now they send it to have all the copper core wiring re-done....
If this doesn´t work I will end up putting a new..
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 5:08pm
Seb I'm not surprised the starter let go again, with the views you showed us in your other post, how can man concentrate!
Sorry to here your news, time to enjoy the views.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 5:00pm

About the carb it squirting uneven fuel while idling...and thus it shut off....under load or at cruise it runs fine...So we adjusted the primary float level but finally could not test it as it would not start again...

Beware its not the evenness that is the main issue, you should not be seeing fuel from any venturi at all, at idle.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 4:43pm
Sorry to hear about these problems Sebastian...
Yes boats are like women. Chantal sometimes calls ours a real b*tch LOL...
But in the end it will all work out, after a few more beers and lots of cursing
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 2:43pm
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 2:06pm
yes some times they are...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 1:35pm
are boats like woman?
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 1:23pm
Stranded again with the starter..It worked fine for the last 3 outings but yesterday we force it a little bit as we were working on the carb...and crank it more than other time..It seems it got hot enough to cause new short...
About the carb it squirting uneven fuel while idling...and thus it shut off....under load or at cruise it runs fine...So we adjusted the primary float level but finally could not test it as it would not start again...So off the starter went again to the shop....

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 1:28am
well went yesterday got the seal out..using the bolt hub extractor system I got the shaft out..

first time I did the job myself..after some attemops with the right length of tube I got it out

took it to the machine shop..and reassembled it.

today I went to do a test drive..it seems its running a little cooler but I still got that noise in the 1800 2200 rpm range..so I might lean I have some shaft to strut misaligment....

boat going to sleeep

another friend boat here....

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 3:48pm
yes I know!!

well I got some input on the shaft seal issue..I spoke with the manufacturer.. It seems its to tight thus making the shaft to rub in the seal..thats why I get the reaised temp and the noise..I will have to take the seal out so he can put it in the Lathe to make it a little bigger....
BTw is the size of the nut that holds the shaft 1" 1/16? As it seems I will need to buy the tube as I don´t have one that big...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 3:01pm
Seb,

That look on your face in the mirror... priceless!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 12:06am
just wanted to say you guys TIM, ALAN, Eric, Pete, Greg, Lucho and all the ccf member for helping me out with my project!!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2009 at 6:24pm
some pics of saturday maiden voyage..I can feel the ride is much stiffer and quiter than ever no noises at all when going thruog wkaes chops etc... stern sits 4" above the surface with the stern seat in place..I will set it as I used to do it to compare..as for the engine I will be abel to tell the diference when I get to use it with ballast or WOT..fro now its runs very good....

I met my friend Hernan who was also In the maiden voyage of this baby..he bought it used with 300 hours last month, but was delivered last week

edelbrock powered

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2009 at 2:14pm
Kap...very cool! I know you'll work out the details on the small stuff. I bet it is exciting for the boat to operate like a boat again. I'm looking forward to that, myself, in 4-5 months.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 8:33am
I guess it will wear a bit and loosen up..as its not adjustable.,it works with 3 o-rings and its lubricated with grease...anyway on monday I will call the manufacturer and ask about the Tempurature if its normal they run hot...if it was not the case it would have toasted and melted the o-rings right away and start driping..thing that in my case didn't happen..not a single drop its comming from the the seal...I can say I have dry bilge..for the first time since I own the boat...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic