Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1974-351 windsor intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974-351 windsor intake
    Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

The beauty of this site is if what you say your are going to do wont get you to what you say you want or if there is an easier way noone will be afraid to let you know.

Yep... That's the good part about this site?!?!

J/K of course...
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 2:04pm
JoeinNY: Thanks for the advise. I really apreciate it.

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 3:39am
Yes Clark some are the type where original is the only correct way and there is nothing wrong with that, probably the best route for anyone who is looking to sell thier boat someday. Some of us, get a little more out there. Somethings are pretty universal like the fact that correctcrafts with very few exceptions should turn right hand props. I have screwed that up unknowingly myself. Fuel injection vs carb.. well for performance only it is a tough sell.. but there is a throttle body injected chrysler around that scoots along pretty good. Of course there are a bunch carbed boats that dont do too bad either. If it is something you have to have dont be discouraged, but if your simply looking or a really quick responding good running boat, then yep thats probably cheaper and more easily achieved with a carb. I am going to launch into a rebuild and upgrade of a fuel injected boat this year, I could just drop a known setup in using parts I already own and I probably would if this was my only boat but since it's a hobby for me I will see what it takes to upgrade the EFI system. At the end of the day its your boat and you can do whatever you want with it, the beauty of this site is if what you say your are going to do wont get you to what you say you want or if there is an easier way noone will be afraid to let you know.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Cslaten33 Cslaten33 wrote:

It seems that some of my ideas catch alot of flack from several people on here for the newer style of upgrades.

Nothing wrong with thinking about new ideas,but if the Boat Doctor, JoeinNY,or TRBenj or ReidP haven't done it,you either don't need it or it don't work   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 5:05pm
Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 5:04pm

Where can I find threads where people have tried to make the switch from carb. the fuel injected?

By doing a search but since it seems you haven't been using the feature for any other issues, here's some help: injection thread

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 4:49pm
Where can I find threads where people have tried to make the switch from carb. the fuel injected?
Thanks Clark Slaten
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 12:24pm
...and while EFI will make your boat start nicer (especially cold) it will do little, if anything, for your throttle response. Replacing a simple, cheap system (carb) with an expensive, complex one (EFI) will gain you no performance benefit, either. You might just want to learn to tune what you have before throwing money at a problem!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 9:31am
Clark,
Yes you can do any upgrades you want. It is your boat as stated but converting to fuel injection can be tricky. Some have tried, failed and went back to a carb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 2:35am
Thats what I thought. It seems that some of my ideas catch alot of flack from several people on here for the newer style of upgrades.

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 2:25am
boats are about what the owner likes and wants, if you sell it then the next person can make their own call. Until then make yourself happy
Brian
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 11:55pm
Well When I have to boat apart I would like to upgrade as much as possible. Do you guys not like upgrading things? Or do you guys just really like things back to original as much as possible?
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 8:28am

better throtle responce in colder weather.

Clark,
You've never mentioned you were building a ice breaker!! I thought you were going to restore the boat??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 2:22am
better throtle responce in colder weather.
Thanks Clark Slaten
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 2:10am
I'm sure someone else will chime in about the fuel injection, but what is your purpose for switching from a carb?
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 12:22am
I think I will just send that engine back and get the right one. Since they did ship me the wrong engine to start with? What do you guys think? while I'm at it I will go ahead and price a fuel injected engine to.
Thanks Clark Slaten
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 4:03pm
and pistons backards
Brian
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 3:41pm
Wouldn't it be better to just convert the new long block to RH rotation? That would just be changing the cam, which he already has?

Maybe the crank seal too?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 11:08am
Clark, If I am assuming correctly,you have purchased a LH 351 long block and your original engine was a RH reverse rotation engine. If this is the case you would need to change the starter to a LH standard rotation starter. You would have to change the prop to a LH prop. You would need to reindex your transmission pump 180 degrees to flow properly and also turn your RWP around to flow the opposite way.The distributor would also have to be changed to a LH. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else but there might be more to do. This can all be done easily but are you sure you want to do it.
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 5:35am
Guys if the new engine wasn't the same rotation what would I have to do to make everything work?????????
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 4:52am
How do you guys know about all of this???
The company that I bought my cam from, do you guys think they will take it back for exchange since it is still in the plastic wrap and box??
Thanks Clark Slaten
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2010 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I believe Reid's baby blue ran more bow-low initially, and it took a lot of grinding to even them up.

Tim - Just curious - what do they grind on the hull? Do they take the hook out?

Correct- the intention of the grinding is to lessen the effect of the hook, or eliminate it completely.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2010 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I believe Reid's baby blue ran more bow-low initially, and it took a lot of grinding to even them up.

Tim - Just curious - what do they grind on the hull? Do they take the hook out?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2010 at 7:50pm
Maybe I'M heavier ???
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2010 at 3:24pm
Gary, those numbers are underperforming for sure. If I didnt know that you had removed all your foam, Id say you were carrying some extra weight! Something is definitely going on there...

Marshall's boat definitely rides bow high. I dont believe its ever been ground- if it has, it was minimal. I believe Reid's baby blue ran more bow-low initially, and it took a lot of grinding to even them up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2010 at 12:33am
No hurry Alan,just sitting here dreaming,since we broke the back of winter
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 11:32pm
Here's one I found with a little more speed,but still looks to me, bow down.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 11:31pm
Gary I'll try to set up a run on your motor, give a day or so as I have to do it on my work computer.

Marshalls boat rides beatifully in that picture, Thats what we all shoot for but few of us get it. You'ld have to ask Reid if they ever took the grinder to it You'ld be amazed at the punny little cam in that boat but it's running some major compression, I believe close to 11:1 IIRC. Another Pinkham Penninsula freak.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 11:26pm
Tim getting back to the cam, there's a module of desktop dyno called Pro Iterator and what it does is take the engine you enter in the system and run test simulations on it based on user input. For instance, I ran a sim of Clarks engine as it sits now with the stock heads, his comp cam and a basic dual plane intake. The program takes his cam lift and then runs simualtions using differentcam event timing and tries to define better specs for torque, HP, torque or HP under the curve.

When I ran Clarks motor the program came up with 11,300 different interations and it found him 29.5 hp using teh same lift on his comp cam but spec'ing new timing events. Only problem I have with it is it's an advanced feature that I have to buy and add on so it lets me use it and shows what I could achieve but won't give me the specs to get there without buying the upgrade.

I also ran yours and it only found 3.2 HP so again cam research is pretty darn close on these things. I'll buy the upgrade soon because it could be interesting and you know if I wasn't working on teh Hurricane the "other" tool box would be out.

With my heads, I find I am really under cammed. Came up with about 16 hp (396 at 5600rpm)and stretched the torque out further to the right. I know this is all speculating but it is fun.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 11:19pm
I hope Clark doesn't mind my hijacking,but I thought it would help him too. Tim, I'm running a Holley 450cfm carb on a Holley Contender dual plane manifold with stock rocker arms.The Federal runs @ 4200 and the OJ @ 4300. With my old prop, 12x13 and old heads it would run 5k but it was 3mph slower. Here is the cam card-

One other thing is this and I'm not really sure you can compare the two because of throttle settings and load,is Marshalls seems to ride further back than mine,what do you think?

See what you get mixed up with Clark ?,it's addicting, and now I'm driving to Florida next month to get a fix
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic