Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USCG approved or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USCG approved or not?
    Posted: November-28-2011 at 7:37am
Floating at chin level sound to me like you are pretty close to neutral buoyancy.
berryla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berryla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 7:12am
I have tested it by exhaling and trying to dive- it pulls me back up to the surface when I try this- but it does not float me as high on the surface as a CGA vest (if I exhale and hold my hands straight up I sink to about chin level).
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 1:42pm
I don't agree with the comparison of boat driver not wearing a vest or kill lanyard with skier not wearing a vest that will float them unconcious. I've worn a lanyard in certain conditions in certain boats, and I wear a vest when I'm boating in cold water alone. Those are different risk level situations. Regular summer ski boat driving is WAY lower risk than skiing or boarding, I haven't been tossed from the boat by many stumps over the years (ok, never) but have taken any number of headers while skiing. Seems obvious to me.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 12:19pm
Is that a double handle?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2011 at 8:35pm
9 out of 10 Veteran skiers prefer the older vests lol,                   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I think the thing that alot of people realize when they start to get older is that it is no longer just about you, its about the wife, the kids, the mortgage, the business, etc.

Mike

Sad but so True, especially the way things have been the last couple of years. I've had to get back into the manufacturing side of my business, if I got hurt to where I couldn't do physical labor I would be in a world of hurt. Even a hard weekend skiing with no injuries slows me down at work for a couple of days and the whole business suffers from it. Responsibility and reality can really suck.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

I always wear my USGC approved vest when skiing.

The problem with USCG vests is the $$ it takes to get them certified. Just because they don't have the certification doesn't mean they will not work.

75Tique and Quinner both rock those when they're on the water.

I think that there are inherent risks involved in everything nowadays so I do what I can to be safe that's all. I will never be good enough at watersports at this point in my life to justify the necessary gains from a comp vest. If others can honestly say that the next advancement in their skills would come from a smaller less restrictive vest than so be it. I think the thing that alot of people realize when they start to get older is that it is no longer just about you, its about the wife, the kids, the mortgage, the business, etc. FWIW I dont feel like a person skiing in a comp vest on a private controlled lake is the same comparison as someone out on a larger body of public water, but thats just me.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 2:58pm
I always wear my USGC approved vest when skiing.

The problem with USCG vests is the $$ it takes to get them certified. Just because they don't have the certification doesn't mean they will not work.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Until you have been stuck underwater, helpless, and concious enough to understand whats happening, but not be able to help yourself will you understand the importance of proper floatation.

Mike

conscious or unconscious both scary as hell.

My wife took a backwards headslam on a powerslide this past August. That was one nasty fall and her bell rung the rest of the day not to mention twisting a knee. Major mental set back as well.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

but when I do fall hard and Float up from it I all way's put my hand up in front of my face.

+2 on that. Same thing but with a kneeboard in my experience.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 1:30pm
I must be falling wrong...

Jody, you've only seen those cool little flashy stars once? It seems like that happens about every other time out for me. Somebody told me once that was an indicator of a concussion, anybody know if that's true?

And Mike, I probably had a half-dozen times this summer where I ended up with my board on top of the water and my body straight down underneath with no idea which way was up. I actually kindof enjoy those, because I can hang there weightless for a few seconds (which feels like an hour), let my body go limp, and know my vest will eventually pull me back up.

Ya'll can do whatever you want, you're grown adults, but with the beating I take, I'll never not have a CG approved vest.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 1:25pm
Even if you do bash your head at least an approved vest (or vest with sufficient buoyancy for you) will keep you afloat so that you can get rescued. The helmet or no helmet argument is very very subjective and down to personal preference. I wore a helmet for a couple of years due to a ear problems but don't wear one anymore unless I am doing obstacles. But its personal preference, I don't think the two issues can or should be put together in the same way.

One of the devices will save your life and there is an enormous amount of evidence to support this, the other safety device will at best stop you from needing stitches, all the other evidence about helmets is very subjective.
Try and prove me wrong about a helmet but I still won't go back to wearing one unless I am riding over obstacles, there is no way you will get me into the water without a good impact vest with good buoyancy though.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 1:12pm
I utilize either a Straight Line or Eagle Non CG approved vest, However in my world very few serious skiers utilize CG approved vest as they ski on private lakes.
Having read many regulations, State and Municipal laws concerning the use of approved flotation it would be in every ones best interest to know what the law's and regs are in their area.

Having been beat up pretty good from time to time taking digger's at 34 and 36 mph I have only had to be plucked out of the water seeing tweety's and Stars once. but when I do fall hard and Float up from it I all way's put my hand up in front of my face. I came up about 15 years ago and as I turned around to look for the boat the ski that had blown off my feet hit me right on the bridge of my nose! ouch! Blood and more tweety's and stars!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 1:01pm
I used to worry about that with the kneeboard too. You can face plant and the board will come right off and still have quite a bit of momentum behind it. I'd usually keep my head down for a second or two after a hard fall.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

He started wearing the helmet after that.

Maybe I should think about that. I drew blood from a minor head wound from contact with my slalom ski after a pretty good tumble last summer. You just never know.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 12:38pm
There's a guy on my lake who's a pretty serious wakeboarder, who wear's a helmet as well as a life jacket. He was doing some sort of trick one time, and somehow managed to catch himself in the back of the head with his own wakeboard. I'm actually not sure if the board was still attached to his feet or what, but it resulted in a bunch of stitches. He started wearing the helmet after that.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 10:57pm
I dont ski so I have no experience with those types of crashes. I had a bad day two years ago on a wakeboard though. It was late in the day and I was kind of beat from riding and being out in the sun all day. We were riding in a nice flat cove on my lake and when the driver turned at the end I decided it would be a good time to cut out hard for a nice powerslide.....done it hundreds of times. Got going about mach 2 and got into the slide, got lazy and stood up. Caught a back edge and hit the water so hard backwards that the lens on my watch broke. I had a USCG approved vest on and did not get knocked out. However, I was under water completely inverted with the board still on my feet. Body tingling, staring up at the sunlight hitting the surface of the water, unable to move any part of my body. As I slowly passed the folcrum and started to float up my buds were out of the boat and swimming towards me. As I reached the surface they were surpised that i was still concious. They had to take my board off and physically put me in the boat. It took me almost two weeks to recover from that crash. Last year I was reading an article Wakeboarding Magazine and Chad Sharpe was writing about the importance of proper floatation. He is a world class rider and experienced the exact same crash that I did and said he has never been that scared in his life. Until you have been stuck underwater, helpless, and concious enough to understand whats happening, but not be able to help yourself will you understand the importance of proper floatation. And I actually had it on. Imagine that same scenario while wearing a comp vest and being spotted by some dudes with a few beers in them that didnt realize you fell till they got 1/2 way across the lake. I'm all set with that. All it takes is a few seconds and it's over. Comp vests are for competitions.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 6:40pm
I just switched from the "most comfortable", slimmest, most flexible USCG vest I've ever found to an Eagle Comp Vest.

It floats me but definitely not to the same height/degree as the USCG equivalent. It's not one of those super-thin ones- it has some meat to it. To me it seems like a good compromise.

However, the performance difference, weight difference, comfort level, etc. is NIGHT AND DAY. It's running the slalom course with at least 10 less pounds of wet foam on my upper body.

So, everything is a risk. Getting on the ski is a risk. Boating is a risk. Will I make every set of this sport less pleasant, to a considerable degree in comparison, for the difference in buoyancy in the off chance that I fall in a certain exact way where the delta from one vest to another might be the ultimate reason I die (out of the 5000 other factors contributing to the death)? Right now probably not. If the comp vest wasn't such a big difference then it would be an easier decision to make. Next year I'll try to do some tests out of curiosity.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 1:59pm
Fixed link

Im a floater, always have been, probably always will
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 1:48pm
I have a Hyperlite Indy.

The year I have is a little less bulky/cleaner looking than this one, but close to the same look. It's USCGA and not very bulky.

I know from lifeguard classes that I sink like a rock with lungs empty and not paddling... to the point where people never wanted to pair up with me for rescue drills. So I probably wouldn't mess with non USCGA.

DieselCash View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselCash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 1:41pm
It may just be me and my bad luck but, I prefer a USCG vest. Because if something bad is ever going to happen, it will be me. Being alive is 100% better than ever being dead.
1992 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 1:01pm
something that I have found that works, is that if your vest is a little loose, cumbersome and bulky, if you gain 15-20 pounds, it fits real snug.
Tom351 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Problem is you dont know until you are in the water.

Exactly- this is the only comparison test that I have been able to find:
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/findings/50/page6.asp
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 11:27am
Yes, I think the problem is that the information that is readily available on vests while buying them is that it is either cga or non cga. There really is no buoyancy ratings or at least its harder to find. So you dont really know what you are getting until you get it. I have seen some vests like the A-10 which look like they provide little flotation while other non CGA vests definitely look bulkier, I am sure there are many differences. Problem is you dont know until you are in the water.
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 8:30am
This site is not the normal internet forum for boat owners as most of you guys are older and more experienced than a lot of the people posting on forums out there. We will all have (should have) enough experience to know what can happen and how to mitigate risks. If you feel comfortable in a non approved vest and KNOW it will float you in an emergency then go with it, if it wont float you then you are putting your life in the hands and hopefully quick thinking of the guys/girls you are riding with.

Oh and don't forget the difference a wetsuit can make to buoyancy, last time I was diving I had to carry an extra 14kg of weights to get the correct buoyancy due to the 12mm of wetsuits. If a comp vest floats you whilst wearing a 3mm will it do the save if you are just trunking it?

That image isn't very `office` friendly I will need to have a second look at this thread later.
Tom351 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 8:07pm
+1 on the calendar

After seeing this:

It would be interesting to get out some weights and compare my Oneill Assault (CGA) to Outlaw (Non-CGA) in floatation- My guess is that the CGA vest is around 20lbs and the Non-CGA is around 8-10lbs.

And MD- I think you make a good case for using the A10 in your situation- there is a big difference between tournaments or show skiing (or people with that much experience going wakeboarding/skiing together) compared to the average person wakeboarding in an A10 with an inexperienced friend driving the boat.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 7:53pm
+1
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 7:47pm
calendar ^^
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 7:46pm
Some in our boat choose to wear the non traditional front bobber vest. I tend to prefer these over the other.

IMAGE deleted so this thread is SFW.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 7:44pm
Those vests are unsafe, they should not be wearing them.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic