Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! prop shaft hard to turn.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! prop shaft hard to turn.
    Posted: August-16-2012 at 3:18am
MattPetes a Stoner. Thats not his adams apple you see when he is wearing his turtle kneck. Its his one hitter.

Waldo
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:44pm
BRUTAL!!

I somehow missed this thread but have just caught up on it and I have to give jo-e90 the thumbs up for his persistence and for getting the job done (fingers crossed it is all done now). Joe made a mistake and missed some things when he bought the boat but he is doing stuff himself and learning and you can't fault somebody for learning even if they do make a few mistakes along the way. I am sure I am going to make a few mistakes along the way its just a good job there are guys like you out there to give support when needed.

Fingers crossed you will be on the water soon joe

Pete, I am going to send you some weed in the post so you can sit back and relax a little and maybe get that blood pressure of yours down...I am probably going to need your help in the future with something so you need to stay around a while longer

Disclaimer: I don't actually have any weed and I don't think the postal service like it being sent anyway.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:38pm
0.003 is the best I can get it.
Just glad the tranny coupling is ok.
turns with 2 fingers,
got a little 5200 on the shaft in the cutlass area as I installed the strut with the shaft in it.
1997 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 10:01am
Originally posted by jo-e90 jo-e90 wrote:

So with the shaft back in and aligned I seriously have to wait 7 days for the 5200 to cure before a lake test??
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

does it spin with 2 fingers now?

How did the strut alignment go? Did the shaft turn freely when it was centered in the log? How close were you able to get the shaft to engine alignment? Less than .003" difference between the coupling flanges top to bottom and port to starboard?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:02am
Joe - If you spray some water on the sealant, it cures faster. I'd give it a few days cure at the least. Congratulations on getting it back together - does it spin with 2 fingers now?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 12:40am
So with the shaft back in and aligned I seriously have to wait 7 days for the 5200 to cure before a lake test??
1997 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I am talking about the 2 bars, not the bracket itself.
It just seems that the whole bottom part of the bracket should be flush with the hull instead of just the 2 slabs of aluminum touching the hull.

No, If the hull isn't perfectly flat as in a machined surface, the bracket would rock. The flat bar has been added to give the bracket a two point contact with the hull.

Exactly. Struts don't require backing plates. Boats without brackets for the clamp tube only get nuts and washers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 10:34pm

It just seems that the whole bottom part of the bracket should be flush with the hull instead of just the 2 slabs of aluminum touching the hull.

No, If the hull isn't perfectly flat as in a machined surface, the bracket would rock. The flat bar has been added to give the bracket a two point contact with the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 10:24pm
1997 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 10:15pm
There were several years that CC used a bracket off the strut bolts to hold the steering cable torque tube.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 9:51pm
Lennox sawed the coupler off. Shaft out and bent.
Preparing all surfaces and even filed the little bugers I made on the Transmission coupling from the air chisel so that the surface was flat for the alignment process.

On another note:
Is this normal? having 2 welded bars on the bottom of the steering bracket that holds the strut? Trying to clean it up before I get the 5200 out.
The interior fiberglass surface where the 4 holes are, seems a little uneven by some gray jb weld stuff that is on the 2 bracket bars also.

1997 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 9:41pm
Where are you with this project? Since you are asking about bolt torque, I assume you strut is straightened and you are bolting it back on the hull?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 10:55am
proper prop install

Torque specs can be found on line. I'd suggest doing a search for "SAE torque". Keep in mind that bolt/nut grade and material needs consideration. Also the material you are bolting to. I sure would not be cranking down on the glass hull like I would when torquing a head.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 12:40am
What is the torque on all 4 strut bolts, the 4 outer coupling bolts, and the prop nut?
1997 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 9:18pm
D/N.G.,
I see you last visit was today at about 1pm. I'm curious, are you looking for parts or just alternates to the already suggestions made by many here on CCfan?

What are your plans? Any parts ordered yet? Please, fill us in as we do not what you to make a big mistake in the direction you seem to be going. We are here to back you up but, you must listen to all our suggestions.

BTW, I did talk to Billy today and yes, he loves the slide hammer trick for pulling a heat shrunk coupling off the prop shaft. He swears by it but I still question potential damage to the tail end of the trans. DO NOT use it on your PCM!!! Yes, as mentioned, Eric has stated that the tail ends of the PCM's will get torn up. He as well as Billy confirm that it's cool with the old Velvet's since they are cast iron but NOT on a aluminum case PCM.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 3:01am
Aw come on Joe,
tell us how this purchase happened.
even though you have tried peoples nerves(can you not see why?)these guys will still help you fix it right.
get those 4 parts as has been said and suck it up and fix it.
This is the life
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 1:16am

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Even a man in the business once told me, "some people just shouldn't own boats"

WOW!!!! That's a great one!!! Yup, it's very fitting.

I am starting to see how it is here.
1997 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 12:22am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

WOW!!!! That's a great one!!! Yup, it's very fitting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 12:06am
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:59pm
Sometimes being a boat owner sucks but it builds character. [<:o)]
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:49pm

Watch, if he does get the boat out on the lake with a trashed coupler, shaft and strut - the trans blow out is next. It doesn't seem the basic concept of a engine to shaft alignment is being understood. He certainly needs big time help.

if its not bad already....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

The seller HAD to know it was bent, if they kept that info from you that is some deception there. I'd go back to them. Demand some money back and tell them you'll sue them in small claims court for the cost to repair the strut and other components.

While it is buyer beware you might get a sympathetic judge to grant you a judgement of some kind, maybe not all your $$$ back but some...better than nuthin.

You certainly could have had a mechanic check it out before buying it. So you do bear responsibility to inspect before you buy.

OR- the cost of tuition in the school of Learn As You Go in this case is around $800 or so.

Andy,
Your post pretty much sums it up but really doesn't address all the time we spent way back when N.G. was looking for a boat. I feel the bottom line is he reacted in a "gut" purchase and now is in WAY over his head. Unless he heeds to our suggestions, he will be in DEEP sh**t. Watch, if he does get the boat out on the lake with a trashed coupler, shaft and strut - the trans blow out is next. It doesn't seem the basic concept of a engine to shaft alignment is being understood. He certainly needs big time help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:01pm

The strut is bent 1-3/16" starboard.
I know it can be fixed but that is really wacked out as the bottom is twisted too.
So dont take the coupling off and just replace the strut?
Is $320 the cheapest price for an S-19 Strut?
Is this normal with the keyway sticking out?

Air chisel would get it off there now, if you got the angle right.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 10:57pm

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Billy aka the boat doctor is a regular here and Karen his wife the boat nurse own this.

Billy says dont use the socket and long bolt method to remove the shaft coupling or you will ruin it.
So I am holding off on removing the coupler for now for fear of ruining it on removal.
I think he wants to sell me an A.R.E.but I am way over budget
hum

Joe....

Who cares about the coupler and shaft?   It is already junk, right now as you are looking at it, in the boat, now. Junk.

So is the shaft. Junk, right now.

We have been saying it is junk.   It;s junk, they both are. Junk.

Get it out of there, they are both junk.

Replace the shaft and coupler.   Period.

Along with strut and cutlass bearing. 4 things Joe.

Strut, cutlass, shaft and coupler.

Start pricing them and getting them ordered.

Anything short of those 4 and it won't be right. You'll end up spending the cash and labor again, maybe even lots more.   

If you fix just the strut only, you will never get the alignment right with a loose coupler and keyway.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 10:44pm
The seller HAD to know it was bent, if they kept that info from you that is some deception there. I'd go back to them. Demand some money back and tell them you'll sue them in small claims court for the cost to repair the strut and other components.

While it is buyer beware you might get a sympathetic judge to grant you a judgement of some kind, maybe not all your $$$ back but some...better than nuthin.

You certainly could have had a mechanic check it out before buying it. So you do bear responsibility to inspect before you buy.

OR- the cost of tuition in the school of Learn As You Go in this case is around $800 or so.

This is the life
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 9:11pm
Hang in there Pete, success is coming.

Keep in mind that very few first time new owners who only just found out what a strut is last week, have ever, ever attempted driveline and rudder repair, steering cable, wiring speakers in coaming pad, carb., trailer brakes, etc. etc. while wanting to be on the water yestarday.
1997 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I highly recommend you start at the beginning of this thread and read through it several times trying not to let your ADD get in the way.

Crap, I though you were the one with the ADD, now I'm really confused!! LOL

Keep smiling Pete, You can only do so much to help. I would not let this one frustrate me one bit.

Alan,
I'm smiling but, it's hard. Yes, it gets confusing but at least I know I'm on the correct track! We all have tried very hard on this one but without much success.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

hey Pete, you´ve been talking to 79nautique lately? got some of his mood huh?

Seb,
As mentioned, yes I think I'm stupid to keep trying. Yup, the old attention span is getting so short that it's tough to maintain and not do a "79" on this one!   

I haven't talked to him or exchanged emails in quite some time with Chris. It's threads like this one that he would absolutely go wild on!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 8:40pm

I highly recommend you start at the beginning of this thread and read through it several times trying not to let your ADD get in the way.

Crap, I though you were the one with the ADD, now I'm really confused!! LOL

Keep smiling Pete, You can only do so much to help. I would not let this one frustrate me one bit.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 8:31pm
hey Pete, you´ve been talking to 79nautique lately? got some of his mood huh?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic