Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The latest and greatest in shoreline destruction!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The latest and greatest in shoreline destruction!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The latest and greatest in shoreline destruction!
    Posted: January-08-2013 at 4:47am
I am fortunate to have lakefront property. I'm on a 6800 acre lake about a mile wide. It has some protected areas for birds by way of slow speeds. Otherwise, it's wide open use. Well...slow speed inside of 100' of shore and spotter required.
Yeah I tube what'r'y'gonna'do!? :) The point is to have fun on the water people. I'll enjoy a free-ski slalom run on the glass in the morning if I beat others to it. I've learned here to slow to idle speed to turn around to pick up so as not to send rollers down the lake. When the lake wakes up then I might take others for a tube out in the middle of the lake. Or I might go for a sit-ski also further out. I also think towers are fugly but hey it's your money.
I firmly dislike boats plowing by close to shore. Cruising by fine...just not plowing. I use mooring whips to keep the boat away from the dock and they work well but I sure don't like the wild ride it gets. That's why I plow around further out. Golden rule and all that (not derived from religion incidentally). Plus the waves settle down by the time they get to shore.
The shore is pretty much rocky gravel. There isn't a lot of sensitive area other than the protected areas. I agree, though, that really...the constant battering a good storm will do to the shore I think far exceeds what the odd boat plowing by might do.
When a little slow cruise is wanted then I putt along at maybe 1000 revs. I wonder if the wake is too big...

Respect for others shared enjoyment of the lake is all that needs to be kept in mind. I think the surfing concept is pretty cool but I don't have the right boat for it and I don't want to weigh the thing down so much. And I certainly couldn't afford to upgrade. Keep it out in the middle and no one's going to be bothered by it.

Well that got way too long...anyway...my $0.02
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

But I would ban every boat with a tower in an instant and kill it with fire. I'd rather have bird flu than have a tower on my boat...or any boat for that matter.

Very ignorant statement, please explain to me how a tower is the culprit for large wakes, wtf???

It's not. Never said it was.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 4:56pm
Good post Joe. You said what I'm sure a lot of people are thinking.

Your's truly,

-Day Boater
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 4:35pm
I am also of the opinion that one good storm, or windy day does far more "damage" than a whole season of surfing on our lake. My wave only hits a couple times per pass. It is not continous, nor does it hit the same place every time like a stiff wind.
I play the Beach Boys or The Trashmen, not gangsta rap...
Mike N

1968 Mustang

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 3:42pm
Reminds me of life on Cape Cod. There are signs on the dunes behind the beaches to stay off the dunes, lest your feet destroy the sensitive ecosystem. Yet one average storm and the face of the dunes can be changed to the point of being unrecognizable. But still, I concur with the sentiment above. I can control the feet thing, I can't control the weather.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 3:38pm
i'm with joe...except it's a north wind for me...and ice does even more damage...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Be respectful of the property owners. If you piss off the wrong group or even an individual enough they will get on their soapbox and rally together a lynch mob and the next thing you know you will need to be at idle in your big expensive wakemaker if they even continue to allow it's presence. This is true for any lake or river. Enjoy your toy but don't be an a$$ about it. Otherwise you and your rig will be trailering off to where you can enjoy.

BINGO!
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 3:26pm
Be respectful of the property owners. If you piss off the wrong group or even an individual enough they will get on their soapbox and rally together a lynch mob and the next thing you know you will need to be at idle in your big expensive wakemaker if they even continue to allow it's presence. This is true for any lake or river. Enjoy your toy but don't be an a$$ about it. Otherwise you and your rig will be trailering off to where you can enjoy.
Tide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 3:09pm
I agree with John.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Gee, I wish I had lakefront property to erode........ Some of you are extremely lucky and don't even know it...

Moj

I know it! I am very fortunate to have a "shack on a lake" and I will never forget it. The trouble is, by the time most can afford a place, there are not many years of skiing left.
I also never forget that the visitors to our chain have chosen to come here because they too enjoy it too, and I believe they have every right to. They also have the responsibility to care for it and respect that it is shared by campers, kayakers, fishermen, skiers, boarders, PWCers, divers, sailers, and one of our best known residents in his large electric launch.

I started out as a trailer boater with a dream of someday getting a place to enjoy, and some of those who come for a day or week of vacationing will one day do the same. I believe our chain is friendly to those who like to find themselves at the end of a rope tied to a boat. I enjoy watching the boarders, skiers, and especially the foilers, and always talk to them at the local boat in Tiki Bar over a refreshment. We have a local water ski team, the Skiing Skeeters, and the residents support them.

It is important to know the customs on the lake you visit and try to respect the wishes of the people who have invested much of their life's savings to get a place there. Some lakes are very fragile while others are not. For example, my brother live on Lake Springfield, a 4,200 acre lake in central Illinois. It is another recreation jewel built by the WPA, and serves as the water supply for Springfield. It absorbs the large wake of wake surfing boats very well. Lake residents there are encouraged to take steps to avoid erosion such as rocking the shoreline or building a sea wall. This option, fortunately, is not available to most on my chain. It is managed as a natural northwoods chain. Due to the wakeboard boats the grass is nearly always the greenest within 10' of the seawall.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that recently much of the the conversation on the site has focused on finding fault with others and not respecting others beliefs and opinions. This site is too valuable to ruin over differences of opinion.

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 2:25pm
Not a lot to contribute to this discussion in general.. except to say that not all lakes are the same, certainly the one I live on could support a thousand wakeboats going by a day for the whole summer and take less damage than one day with a good wind out of the south produces. To talk about banning a type of boat or sport because it is not appropriate for all lakes is as silly as saying that a little pond shouldnt be able te regulate what is allowed. Personally I don't turn down a pull or a push on anything, behind anything.     

But on this post, with all due respect to Tim who I consider a good friend.. this I don't agree on..

[QUOTE=Morfoot]

This one just sums it up and is the reason for this long rant. If you don't like it here, the advice we give then please feel free to leave and don't let the door hit you on the way out! Grow a thicker skin if you do want to continue being a member here and bring something positive to this website.

QUOTE]

This is Keiths site, a part of his livelyhood and a part of what puts food on his kid's plate (ok maybe a nautique in front of thier rope). I don't think it is appropriate for anyone else, regular, contributor, grand poobah, adveriser, etc. to invite people to leave. This site lives or dies on traffic, all traffic.. even those who never post or show up to a reunion, or choose to drive a bayliner pulling a tube are important to it's future. A private club of a bunch of guys who already know everything about a topic doesnt make for a very exciting forum, and blasting everyone who shows up with a different opinion on something certainly isn't the way to learn anything.

Tim is definitely not a usual or big offender in this area so I hesitate to quote his post, and he is obviously coming from a place of defending an attack against something important to him, but this wasn't the first person to make these complaints... and you can assume for everyone that chooses to speak up there are many others who just leave and instead of being someone out there who tells people about the site as a postive place they go out as someone that tells people they shouldn't waste thier time. Each one of those people, and each person they talk to is a possible advertiser, regular, reunion attendee, source of parts, future ski budddy.. etc.

It is nice that this site has developed a bunch of regulars that know each other and have become good friends, but that can also make it intimidating to a new poster. It is one thing to have a friendly back and forth with a regular who knows you, but don't assume the person reading your post has any background to know that you're not simply a know it all jerk. If you don't want to take the time to answer a post with a simple question thats been answered before nicely.. then don't answer it. If someone is being a jerk... ask them nicely to be nice, or flag them and let Keith or a moderator decide how to deal with it. If you really need to be a jerk, then be a jerk(not that Tim was being a jerk here, just defending his right to do so should the need arise), but inviting people to leave crosses the line IMHO.

I get, and I am sure others get a lot of emails and private messages from people with questions that they are hesitant to post because they are afraid of the responses they are used to seeing - and not that I mind but I would rather respond in a post where others can see the back and forth and the person could get other opinions. now they seem to It's a new year maybe we call all resolve to make the forums a nicer place.. except the off topic stuff, any newbie venturing over there gets what they have coming.

Yes I know what you are thinking and I have heard it before.. gee we are all adults people should be able to deal with it... perhaps, but why would anyone want to? I for one would love to see the site grow and be active, both so it survives and so keiths kids can end up with a new 200 sport (with NSS) in a couple of years so I can get a ride on it at a reunion. If someone wants to start thier own site for only guys with thick skins, and lakefront property, that drive completely original correctcrafts built before 1989 that have never pulled a tuber or boarder, and have never had a fram filter- feel free but last I checked this isn't it.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 2:16pm
It always amazes me when people troll thru no wake zones or anywhere on a body of water just fast enough that they are pushing huge rollers and have no idea they are creating havok. Get your boat up on plane...

Speaking of rollers, I always stress when you are retrieving a fallin skier that is not hurt (hand signals), return without creating wake... it is safer, better for skier and helps water settle faster. Understandable if you have to hurry back to protect a skier every now and again...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 2:09pm
Boy, after living in a fairly unregulated state, I'd have a hard time with all those rules. I often hear on this site rules that others are subjected to like no sitting on the dog house, gunnell riding and all this stuff that Larry is subjected to, which seem rediculous to me. I live in a state where people move to because it's so beautiful, but then they want to pass rules so it is like where they came from because they did everything so well back there.

People ought to be respectful of each other and work out their differences themselves. I've found the last thing you want to do is complain to your local, state or federal government because you end up having rules. I never saw any place so regulated as Lake George, NY at the 2008 & 2009 NE Reunions. There must have been 4 different police agencies patroling the waters there. Our town just went through a period of graplling with a mooring ordinance which eventually got shot down. One of the major proponents stated need for the ordinance was "derelect boats" on moorings and "undersirable people drinking beer on moored boats", (how many Correct Craft Fans would fit that description?). Forunately, once the locals heard that stuff they figured it was just b*tching by people "from away". Sounds like surf boats are the assault weapons of boating.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

It seems easy to me, prohibit ballasted boats and impose a weight limit of say, 3,500#. Ballast tanks are a source of invasive species as well as excess wake.
Here is the perfect venue for big wake boats.

That will never be controlled, people are taking their 2001 196's and 197's and throwing in portable ballast tanks.

I really don't think there is that much of an issue as you guys think. With us living on the point of Voss' bay we see idiots in 24' boat pulling tubers 10-20x a day in and out of our bay. Voss's shoreline and most of the other shoreline really hasn't changed that much.

I don't think any where else on the chain get's as much abuse as Spider lake does.

I don't think limiting the boats is the way to go, I think allowing owners of shoreline to place in erosion control is the way to go. with big natural boulders or hidden cement walls.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:50pm

Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

On a 56,000 acre lake I can't imagine there is a problem with wake. Even Lake Geneva, at 5,500 acres and Green Lake, at 7,346 absorb the wake with no real detrimental effect I am aware of, but at more than 5 and 7 times the size of our largest lake respectively, it is no wonder.

B

Heck, evev Lake Tomahawk absorbs the waves. What some fail to understand is that on smaller lakes, the waves do not have time to diminish like they do on bigger lakes. I would like to see a 4K-5K pound limit on our chain with expensive permits for those who need a much bigger boat.

I thought there was a limit of 24'(ski boat) on our chain and no Cabin Cuddy's?

1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:46pm

Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

My lake is 56000 acres with over 900 miles of shoreline. I have nearly 3' white caps hitting shore during a storm. Property was purchased knowing that I would be losing shoreline due to erosion. I blame no one but me because I knew the consequences of lake front ownership.

Again you're missing the point.

1. Wave action from a storm is something we cannot control. 2. I don't have 3' waves from storms on my lake. Your lake has had that kind of wave action for thousands of years, mine chain has not. We've had it for FAR less. 3. A wave machine boat on your lake isn't going to make as big of an impact as a wave machine boat on my lake.

We haven't had much trouble with shoreline erosion and we're on spider lake. We've lost a few feet, but that's over 60 years, plus we need to patch out walls we built.

Honestly They need to allow for cement walls to built in the high wake areas, or add in the large rocks that chuck does.
1970 Mustang
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:36pm
Wow, a neighborhood rule book with at least 8 sections in it. Do you live in the lawyers neighborhood?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

But how do you regulate it?

Here is how our lake did. Unfortunately, here, most of the rules are made by old farts that know nothing about boats,boating and the various water sports. For example, these rules prohibit surfing, ropes less than 30 feet and non-factory ballast. So a fully factory ballasted G23 pulling a wakeboarder is A-OK. (there is a 23 foot length limit).

The surfing prohibition came up this summer when a resident complained that waves came crashing over his sea wall and unfortunately, instead of being contrite, the surfer started sassing the resident.

On our little (250 acre) lake, where about 90% of the shoreline is bulkheaded, limiting wake size is probably appropriate, as much as I dislike over regulation. I tolerate all the regulations though as they include "no jet skis" so to me its all worth it.

The bulkheading looks nice, but is tough on skiing. As small as the lake is and with the bulkheads, the lake turns into a wash tub pretty quickly, even with just me out there doing some slalom runs. Early mornings, we'll break the rules and run up and down the middle, rather than the mandated counterclockwise deal and that works out pretty well.

The yellow line approximates the boundaries of the no wake zone and hence the "normal" ski path.

An excerpt from the neighborhood rule book.

8.4.4.9 Non-factory ballasting or weighting of a boat is not permitted. (amended 6/27/12)
8.4.4.10 The navigational “rules of the road” should be understood and adhered to by those who share the use of our lakes. Failure to observe them could constitute reckless and negligent operation. (amended 12/16/09)

8.4.5 WATERSKIING, WAKEBOARDING, KNEEBOARDING, TUBING, etc.
8.4.5.1 There will be a maximum of six boats pulling water skiers/kneeboards/other floatation devices at any one time on Lake Sequoia and a maximum of two on Lake Echo. This does not limit the number of float, powerboats without skiers, electric, or other non-power boats, which may be using the lakes along with the specified limits for boats pulling skiers, etc.
8.4.5.2 Ski boats and skiers on Lake Sequoia must stay within the designated (toward the center of the lake) ski buoy area and must travel in a counter-clockwise direction.
8.4.5.3 Boats pulling skiers or flotation devices must have an operator and observer aboard. The operator must be at least 16 years of age and the observer must be at least 12 years of age.
8.4.5.4 All skiers, tubers, etc. must wear personal flotation devices.
8.4.5.5 Skiers must stay at least 150 feet from shorelines including the dam and 75 feet from floating objects such as boats and swimmers. No dropping of skis is allowed. Ski lines must not exceed 75 feet. No ski rope or tow line may be shorter than 30 feet. There must be a ski rope or line connecting the skier, tuber, boarder, etc., to the boat, until termination of the ride. (amended 6/27/12)
8.4.5.6 No airborne device may be pulled by a boat on our lakes.
8.4.5.7 Skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, etc. is allowed between 7:00 A.M. and sunset.
8.4.5.8 No private marker buoy shall be placed more than 20 feet from the shoreline.
8.4.5.9 Wake surfing is not permitted. (amended 6/27/12)
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 12:41pm

But I would ban every boat with a tower in an instant and kill it with fire. I'd rather have bird flu than have a tower on my boat...or any boat for that matter.

Very ignorant statement, please explain to me how a tower is the culprit for large wakes, wtf??? The frikin surfers don't even use a rope other then on the start.

If you had even the slightest clue about pulled watersports you would know that though.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Gee, I wish I had lakefront property to erode........ Some of you are extremely lucky and don't even know it...

Moj

No crap Dave, how's it feel to be a lowly "DAY BOATER"?

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 12:29pm

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 10:51am
I think someone referenced me living on lake Minnetonka. Again I currently own no lake shore. I live in the city of Minnetonka about 5 miles from the lake. Lake Minnetonka has 50 foot boats, and the middle of the lake would be a very responsible place to run a surf boat and its wake would go mostly unnoticed. the lake also has many small "bays"(connected lakes by channels) and that is where boats often tie up, and skiing, bare footing can take place. That is also where the wakeboarders like to run ballast and the tubers feel the need to be. I believe the bay activity will lead to bans on the whole lake. The lake already has speed limits and special rules for water sports including requiring an observer instead of just a mirror which is the state requirement. It is also no wake for the entire lake during high water periods. Regulations will probably come to lake Minnetonka first because they are good at making them, but It is the 500 and smaller acre lakes where I see the biggest problems.

Most of the cabins where I used to own were built right at the 75 foot from high water. The flatter lots are seeing a lot of erosion and the DNR makes you jump through hoops to make improvements. The people with money just do what they want because the fines top out at about a few grand. Those on a budget had to jump through all the hoops. I had one neighbor with a lot of erosion I would estimate 20'(his own fault for removing all the protective weeds). His cabin burned to the ground and he had it completely removed including the shallow foundation (again his fault). A year later he went back to apply to rebuild and they now considered the lot vacant and unbuildable due to the shorter distance between the lake and the road.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 10:51am

A lot of the wakeboard boats have similar engines and similar sized hulls. Cant say no wakeboard towers or there will be plenty of Nautique owners that will have to rip them off. Alright then that wave making device on the back of that nautique, well thats pretty close to trim tabs. A ski boat and wakeboard boat are too similar plain and simple. So what then, nobody with Monster Energy hats then?

From being apart of this very fight in real life you cant split the groups. Its the same with gun laws, from my perspective, dont blame the machine, blame the handler.

I honestly don't know. I think the only way to do it, would be sweeping "legislation" which would benefit nobody.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 4:09am
It seems easy to me, prohibit ballasted boats and impose a weight limit of say, 3,500#. Ballast tanks are a source of invasive species as well as excess wake.
Here is the perfect venue for big wake boats.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 2:21am

Anyways, from my experience all power boaters must stand together, like it or not. We won by a very small margin. Look up "tread lightly", it includes any type of off road equipment because one turd can close a whole park unfortunately.

That's the big issue. A few pot smoking, dough heads operating a 90K wake machine will ruin power boating for all of us.

I'm all for power boats. The more power the better, the faster the better. But operators need to be courteous. I know my boat is louder than most, so early morning when going to breakfast, I keep the exhaust under the water. It's not hard to think of other people, and it takes just a little bit of effort...

A lot of the wakeboard boats have similar engines and similar sized hulls. Cant say no wakeboard towers or there will be plenty of Nautique owners that will have to rip them off. Alright then that wave making device on the back of that nautique, well thats pretty close to trim tabs. A ski boat and wakeboard boat are too similar plain and simple. So what then, nobody with Monster Energy hats then?

From being apart of this very fight in real life you cant split the groups. Its the same with gun laws, from my perspective, dont blame the machine, blame the handler.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 2:03am

I have the same problems but on a bigger scale. I have 36/38 foot 1600 hp offshore boats running 100 plus mph down my lake. So yes I see big boat erosion too.

This comment shows you have no clue,56000 acres with over 900 miles of shoreline and you say bigger scale? Try the same boats where I'm at with a river 400 ft wide-
"Illinois Fox River Chain O'Lakes is the busiest inland recreational waterway per acre in the entire United States. Only an hour's drive from Chicago, Milwaukee, and Rockford, and with over 7,100 acres of water, 15 lakes and 45 miles of river"
Their answer for everything is more no wake areas. If surfing wakes become a problem,then they could add to to no wake areas which affects everyone except the kayakers   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:45am
The truth is, Vic, we ARE the government. Our local government will do what the people who pay taxes in the jurisdiction and the lakes association want done. Just like any boat with a cabin has been outlawed, and 4 wheelers have been outlawed, it is just a matter of time until our lake association is fed up with disrespectful people who believe nature is theirs to destroy. If you believe that the wave action on lakes of less than 1,000 acres is similar to wave action on a 56,000 acre lake, you are misinformed. We really don't want our lake to become like Lake Hartwell.

Most of us on our chain enjoy nature, clean water, fishing, and a little boating and water sports. We have never found bodies in barrels and seldom have an injury accident.

Lake Hartwell pollution

I don't mean to bust on Lake Hartwell, I am sure many people have a wonderful time there. It is not however anything like the chain I am on.

There is more to life than making water bumpy!

forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:33am
I have the same problems but on a bigger scale. I have 36/38 foot 1600 hp offshore boats running 100 plus mph down my lake. So yes I see big boat erosion too.
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:30am
I think the point he's making is that as the shore line erodes, the water gets closer to his house. And if the house is built at the 75' setback, and now the shoreline is at 60', hypothetically he's no longer able to remodel his property. So yes, the impact of big wakes on the shoreline has lowered his property value. I would imagine that a variance would allow him to remodel on the existing front wall though

I've never been to Minnesota, but it seems like with a buzzillion lakes, there out to be a way to sort it out. Big lakes- big boats, little lakes-little boats, it's not rocket sceince. It shouldn't take lawyers to get rich of off it (so they can buy bigger boats)to figure it out

I grew up in an era when it was all about minimizing the impact on the water. And it wasn't something that needed an EIR. We wanted flat water to ski on, and so we did everything we could to maintain it for us and everybody else. If we wanted to be offensive we went someplace where it wouldn't bother anybody.

If it means giving up my access to the lake I boat on, in exchange for not having to deal with monster wakes, screaming 2-stroke jet ski's, tuber boats stirring up the water, and gansta rap blaring across the lake (even Lynard Skynard), then I'll sell my Correct Craft and buy a sail boat, and a few kayaks, and enjoy the peace and quiet from my deck. I will miss listening to the familiar sound of a V8 inboard motor. The only time a SBF bothers me in the morning is when somebody else has made it out to the water before me and I'm not there :-)

And Fram filters are crap, and I learned it here!
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:08am

My lake is 56000 acres with over 900 miles of shoreline. I have nearly 3' white caps hitting shore during a storm. Property was purchased knowing that I would be losing shoreline due to erosion. I blame no one but me because I knew the consequences of lake front ownership.

Again you're missing the point.

1. Wave action from a storm is something we cannot control. 2. I don't have 3' waves from storms on my lake. Your lake has had that kind of wave action for thousands of years, mine chain has not. We've had it for FAR less. 3. A wave machine boat on your lake isn't going to make as big of an impact as a wave machine boat on my lake.

Wrong. My lake was at full pool for the first time around 1961. And yes storms affect your lake just as big boats do. My point is why dwell on it. Ignorance is bliss you wont stop it. Enjoy what you do have while you can. The government will do the rest. Hence the school shooting problem. Few bad apples and us smart ones will eventually be relieved of our gun rights by the gov. No single person or group will do it the gov will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic