NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SS Mini Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS Mini Update
    Posted: April-24-2007 at 8:29pm
So... I'm still going to grad school next year, but I don't think I'm going to have to be poor to do it. In fact... I've had some success selling articles to magazines and have a few extra bucks to spend on the SS Mini lately.

So, I bought a swim platform for it this morning. I won't be able to pick it up till next Saturday, as I have to drive to Louisville to get it, but it will definitely make the boat more usable. It's very hard to wakeboard on my boat without a platform.

I'm thinking of tearing up the floor this fall, after the season ends. I'll be looking for everyone's help then.

I'll post pictures of the platform when I get it. It's not your typical platform (it's kind of fancy), so I hope it looks good on the Mini.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 7:13am
Thanks Mike. I'll do that.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 9:30pm
I'm happy to help out. And if you find yourself in the area for any reason, let me know.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 7:01pm
Thanks Mike. I've gotten an offer from my dad to store her too, but he's in Dallas, which is even farther away. A lot will depend on what happens in the next 8 months. If it comes down to it, I might just take you up on the offer. Who knows, I might be going to school near you.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 2:09am
David,

I'll be building a 4 bay addition to the soon-to-be "Garage Mahal" this summer. It will be 2 bays too many on purpose...I know it is a little out of your neighborhood (Southern MD), but if it is the difference between holding on to her or not, you can lay her up here when I am done.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 5:55am
That's funny. Yes, I believe it does.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2007 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by dchris17 dchris17 wrote:

Hopefully I'll find a way to get a PhD and keep the SS Mini!

Does this mean "Pile Higher and Deeper" and keep the SS Mini????

Jeff...
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2007 at 8:10pm
Actually, Jeff, I think you and my brother James are helping me think this one through a little better. My first reaction to quitting my job and going back to school full time was that we would be so poor I would have to sell it for the cash. Now that I'm going through the detailed planning, I don't think that's the case. I probably won't be able to afford to run it much, but if I can find a place to store there may be no reason not to keep it.

So... I'm going to cross my fingers. I've been thinking about this a lot this weekend and I've come to the conclusion that I will hold on to the SS Mini for at least one year, and will only sell it if I don't have a plan for storing it after the summer of 2008.

Thanks to everyone who has pitched in over the last two years and encouraged me on this project. Hopefully I'll find a way to get a PhD and keep the SS Mini!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2007 at 7:06pm
     WOW!!!! I havent posted in a while due to work taking over my life, but I have to on this one.
     Dave, I am happy for your going to school, but are you sure you have exhausted all possibilities?? I felt like a fool to ask, but this kills me!! Its hard looking back in the beginning at your first post and seeing your excitement. Im sure it isnt easy, but Im convinced that the SS MINI was your first real "family" boat after the pics of the kids in it. Im sorry if I just made things more difficult for you.
    GOOD LUCK ALWAYS!!!

Jeff...

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 9:59pm
David: Lots of luck. Please keep your C/CFAN friends up to date on how it all goes. I sure have enjoyed sharing your story. Can still remember when you first found this boat at the yard and what you went through to get it home. Still remember the excitment in you post when you got it in the water for the first time. That is the gret thing about this site; the story behind some of these old boats and the guys who care for them. Thanks!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
copcraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 6:54pm
Dchris17

That was a good post! I'm glad I went back and read it all the way through. Since BKH said it was good I knew it would be. I have a vision of what you did with your SS mini for the '74 Mustang I'm working on. Your posts, and Jeff Kostis' input, helped me tons. Thanks and Good luck!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 1:42pm
I'm going to give first shot to my four brothers. They are all boat enthusiasts, and one of them is likely to pick it up. If that fails, I'll post it here. At least that way it will stay in the extended family. I would cry if I had to sell it on eBay.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 1:38pm
dchris, I definitely misread your diary, woops.

Anywho, I definitely don't have the extra cash for another boat. If I could store it I would but I just checked and don't have any of that either!
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 1:35pm
Hollywood,

You have money burning holes in your pocket, you should buy it!

Ken
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 1:35pm
It hasn't been in my family since new. I got it from the son of the original owner. I've only had it for two years. Still, that's exactly how I feel.

No, I don't need a pylon anymore. Thanks though.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 1:31pm
You're going to sell it after it's been in the family since new?

Still need a pylon?
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 1:11pm
David,

I wish you the best of luck in school. Sounds like you've got lots to look forward to with your career. The good news is that CCF.com will always be here. Whether you own a boat or not, keep your posts coming. We'll help you pick out another great Correct Craft boat in 2012. Plus, look at the reunions you can attend if you're available!

Ken

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 12:54pm
It's been a long time since I posted, but since bkhallpa$$ put this post in the list for best of 2006, I guess it's time for an update.

The boat runs great. It's awesome to ride behind, although I have a hard time finding buddies who can get out regularly and who can drive worth a darn. It's very fast - even outran a brand new malibu and is noticed every time I tie it to a dock.

It still needs new upholstery, a new floor, new metal (horn, cleats, etc), and would definitely benefit from a new control. It also needs some gelcoat repair as well.

That's the good news.

The bad news is I'm quitting my job and going back to school full time to get a PhD in 2008. I'm afraid 2007 is going to be the last summer I own this boat, and then it's going to find a new home. I just can't store it for 4 years, unless someone wants to volunteer some free barn space until 2012.

Needless to say, I'm a little depressed about letting the SS Mini go, but it will be worth it when I get out of school and start my new career.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 7:08am
I wish they made one that fit in a standard 2.5" opening. That would be pretty cool.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 6:35am
I don't, but I borrowed one last year and It had .1 mph resolution and updated very fast. It was sure handy when my daughter was on the boom and I'm trying to hold a 'hot eleven'...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2006 at 11:15pm
Hopefully I'll start getting to know this boat better soon. There have been so many kinks getting to the point where we can take it out for a day and not worry about paddling it in that I don't really know the boat yet. And we're still not through all the kinks, but I think we're getting close.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2006 at 1:17pm
    Where we have so many weeds plugging up the speedo, its better to train yourself to listen to the engine, as well as look at the wake. Getting familiar with a particular boat is better to set and maintain speed.

Jeff..
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2006 at 8:25am
Any recommendations for a GPS? It would make a good "featured product" for Keith...
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 8:43am
Yes, a new Morse control, cable, ends, and the right throttle return spring and you'll be able to control the speed by shifting your butt cheek.

However, if you hold the throttle like a gearshifter all bets are off. Its neccessary to rest your wrist on the console or gunnel and hold the knob between the pads of the thumb, index and middle finger and adjust speed by flexing those three fingers.

You boat likely doesn't have a speedo balance tube, hence the bouncing.
Without wrecking the dash for dual airguides a cheap GPS is better.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 7:52am
Finally! I was able to get a solid set of wakeboard runs on the SS Mini. Man, it has a nice wake compared to my previous boat. It was nice. And there was no paddling it back into shore for a change!

JBear is right - these are the coolest boats around.

I did have one mishap. Forgot the bilge plug - there was five inches of water in the boat when I realized what I'd done. Thank goodness for bilge pumps!

A couple of things I've noticed:
- The ammeter is wired backwards. It goes negative when the RPMs increase.
- The speedo doesn't kick in at lower speeds and bounces a lot once it does kick in.
- The control requires a soft touch. It takes really small adjustments to get it to the right spot for boarding. Will that improve when I replace the control with something newer?
- The boat takes off like a rocket when it gets on plane. Holy crap! It's fun when you're just messing around, but when you're towing somebody you have to watch it.
- I love this boat, but it turns like crap. It needs a fin or two.

Anyway, had a good time. We didn't tow it to Texas after all - it would have been awesome to ski the cliffs at Possum Kingdom, but maybe next year.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2006 at 1:00pm
Dave: That is one of the best things about these boats, what happens on the ramp. I never take the '80 to the water without getting some kind of comments. Feels pretty cool huh, knowing where your boat came from?!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2006 at 8:49am
Yes there is. And the iron pylon worked out okay. It had a little play side to side, but otherwise it was fine. I need to put some kind of spacer around the old ring pylon I put in it off of eBay. It's too short to ski from, but it is good enough for sliding the pipe onto.

I also had my very first "Man, what do you have in that little boat?" experience. That was pretty gratifying. My M17 really looks good in the water.

I still don't have the ammeter setup right. I'm going to keep working on it this week and go skiing again on Friday.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 11:48pm
good news. That was a easy fix. As for skiing..theres always tomorrow.
Scott
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 9:41pm
Turns out it was nothing - just a spark plug that had wiggled loose. What a relief. Too bad I wasted my morning not skiing!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 8:57am
Big sigh. We got in one wakeboard run in this morning. The water was beautiful and the wake that my little boat puts out is freakin' awesome. On run #2 though, there was a pop from the motor and the valves started clicking. Fortunately, someone towed us in. I haven't pulled it apart yet so I don't know what is wrong yet.

Bummer. I'm feeling a little depressed.

At least the wake was beautiful. Gosh.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic