NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

voltage surge??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: voltage surge??
    Posted: June-03-2013 at 12:51am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Larry,
The pictures showing the condition of you engine sure don't match the condition of those cables! I think you missed something when you did the engine!

Nobody sees the cables.

And clean that spark arrestor. Really!!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Larry,
The pictures showing the condition of you engine sure don't match the condition of those cables! I think you missed something when you did the engine!

Nobody sees the cables.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 9:29pm
Larry,
The pictures showing the condition of you engine sure don't match the condition of those cables! I think you missed something when you did the engine! I'm impressed with your Autozone. Yours must be a different corporate!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 11:29am
Yes to all your questions, except the positive cable. That's in pretty good shape but is on the to do list. Pete will appreciate this: I hunted around for the proper (most importantly 2 gauge) wire and found it on Advance auto's website but when I got to the store, all they had was 4s. Autozone is right across the street so I went over there and they had the exact cable I needed, correct ends, gauge, length. I am lucky about one thing, I have an Advance, Napa, O'Reilly and Autozone within a mile of my office....can usually find what I need on my lunch breaks. Except the espark of course. When I had to order that last sunday my family was joking with me about where I could go to get it. I told I could just run up to the Dollar Store.

Tim and Pete, thanks for your help. Especially Tim for returning my call last sunday.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 10:40am
Yikes... hopefully you replaced the cable (2awg or larger) with a proper soldered on terminal and adhesive lined heat shrink? And you replaced the positive cable as well, right?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 10:26am
I am happy to report my diagnosis was correct and after about a 30 minute espark transplant last night, I am up and running again. I did also change the ground cable. I don't know Pete, it could have been the culprit and I was just lucky it started and ran prior to it dying.

The engine end fell off before I even got to loosening the nut and at the clamp end, the wire fell out as I was loosening the clamp, even tho I had recently tightened the two screws holding it. I knew it needed replaced, just didn't get around to it. Lost 4 days and $70 for procrastination....lesson learned.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 7:47pm
Chris,
Yes, disconnecting the battery will cause a spike but I don't think that's Larry's problem. It sounds like Larry still has enough wire left to maintain the connection and I assume still start the boat. I'm glad he's replacing it though.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:29am
Hope that's it Chris, this VR is pricey and has to be sent away for....I want to be on the water TONIGHT
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:21am
Pete - Didn't I read from you that unhooking a battery during operation will cause an alternator to go full output?

If so, maybe the fraying ground connection is the culprit here.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 10:23am
I did find a match Pete, unfortunately not at any stores,(OMC 383440 or Prestolite 8-339) so I have to mail order that too, if its a problem. I won't know till tonight. Hopefully I'll be up and running this weekend. My Espark should arrive today, I'll get it in and check my volt meter to see if I have any issues. My crappy, fraying ground wire on my battery has been intermittent lately, so I bought a replacement for that yesterday. We'll see.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 9:55pm
Larry,
I keep forgetting you have the OMC and don't have the "regular" Ford type voltage regulator. keep searching and maybe take the model # off yours into a good auto supply.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 10:46am
Pete, I am guessing this is my voltage regulator.

Not sure how I would go about testing this. One wire is ground to block, other disappears into harness. Don't know where it goes. If it is bad, this is the closest I could find, yet mine has no "ignition" terminal, as does this one. Any ideas?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 9:48pm
Larry,
I suggest cleaning up all the wiring terminals/connections and harness plugs especially any going to and from the alternator and voltage regulator. If you don't find any bad connections, then I would suspect the voltage regulator has some issues. You probably still have the old style black metal box. Open it up and clean up any contacts you find inside.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 11:58am
I am 95% certain my espark croaked this weekend. (figured it was either that or my coil and with my diagnosis guidance on my laptop in my boat and TRBenj on the other end of my cell phone I am pretty comfortable with my diagnosis.) So I ordered a new one. Of course this has to happen on Memorial Day Weekend Sunday, but fortunately, after my morning runs. The diagnosis article says one possible cause is a voltage spike. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but earlier, when my son was pulling me, he asked what does it mean when the volt meter pegs. I figured it was just a 37 year old gauge acting up and didn't think much of it. But now the pieces fit together, that I might have actually been getting a warning. Anyway, question is: What would cause a voltage spike? I don't want to fry my new espark as soon as I put it in. I have been very happy with my espark - flawless for like 5 years now. But here is one instance, when hearing Tim or Pete say, stick with points, its a $10, 10 minute repair if/when they go, it makes sense. I could have picked up a set from Autozone on sunday afternoon (or have a spare with me) and been on my way. Not so simple trying to get a new espark on MDW Sunday. And even now, I am drydocked till Thursday or Friday - just as the weather finally hits consistent 80s.

Fortunately, I did get a run in Monday morning behind my neighbor's Excel.

Only fair tho, as I was getting ready to pull a friend of his when my boat croaked, and as we all know, its the skier's fault when a boat croaks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic