NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Prop install question ...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
damonwells View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damonwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Prop install question ...
    Posted: August-15-2013 at 3:25am
THANKS everyone for the excellent suggestions ... cheers, John
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Couldn't you just put a pair of vise-grip pliers on the head of each coupler setscrew and let the handles bear against the bottom of the boat? Or put a large C-clamp on the coupler in such a way that it locks up the shaft.
It's a boat, not the space shuttle!
Art

I have clamped a couple pieces of wood on the shaft. Remember if a ARE shaft is installed, it does not use the big sq. head set screws.

No, we aren't building the space shuttle but, a proper taper fit is a basic mechanical engineering principle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

He says, "It helps if you have locked the gear box into gear."
Steve

This only works with a manual trans. Most here have hydraulics which need the engine running to develop pressure to lock up ether of the clutch packs.

That's right, Pete, I forgot about that.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 3:59pm
Get a buddy and one of those rubber style wrenches around the shaft or coupler?

Pete is a lapper guy.(Not that there's anything wrong with that! Seinfeld fans haha). I am a if it is smooth when I install it then its fine kinda guy. If shaft run out checks out and a vibration is still present with a new prop lapping would be something I would do.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 3:37pm
Couldn't you just put a pair of vise-grip pliers on the head of each coupler setscrew and let the handles bear against the bottom of the boat? Or put a large C-clamp on the coupler in such a way that it locks up the shaft.

Just remember to remove it before you go to run the boat!

It's a boat, not the space shuttle!

Art
"Art"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damonwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 3:18pm
YUP, in gear and engine not running, shaft spins !
Perhaps I need to invest in a strap wrench, Rigid Tools looks like they make a nice one.
Thanks again, cheers, John
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 7:33am
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

He says, "It helps if you have locked the gear box into gear."
Steve

This only works with a manual trans. Most here have hydraulics which need the engine running to develop pressure to lock up ether of the clutch packs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 5:46am
Sorry, John, I forgot about the article below, which I had reviewed. He says, "It helps if you have locked the gear box into gear." As baitkiller said, there's not a lot of torque involved in lapping the prop.

When you tighten the prop nut, you want to use a block of wood or a strap wrench.

Lap Fitting A Propeller To A Shaft

btw, you said, "until there isn't much grit left to the compound". I don't think you need to do that. I needed 9 or 10 lapping revolutions to improve from about 66% contact to 85% to 90% contact (checked with Prussian blue). See this thread. The lapping compound I wiped away at the end still felt gritty. As it says in the article, you don't want to overdo it.

Steve
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 8:06pm
Take a short line and tie a figure it around the shaft coupling and across 1 or both mounts. Its not allot of torque. i have a shaft zinc on my boat so that gave me some purchase with a pipe wrench.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damonwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 8:00pm
Thanks Steve ... I have and used that article, excellent. Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see anywhere in there a good suggestion on how to keep the prop shaft spinning while lapping ? Cheers, John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 7:07pm
btw, I lapped my prop onto the shaft and I'm happy I did. Really improved the contact on the taper, which is what transfers all the propeller force to the shaft.

Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 7:05pm
Many common questions are addressed in the: CCF FAQ.

This thread covers prop lapping.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 6:42pm
Maybe I'm a careless boat mechanic, but I betcha over the 49 years that I have messed with inboard boats, I've probably installed a thousand props, and, except for an unlimited hydro (9000 RPM) I've never lapped a prop to the shaft. I have occasionally used Dykem Blue to see whether there is a high spot if there was a vibration problem.
Art
"Art"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damonwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 5:14pm
I just installed a new prop and hopefully properly used lapping / grinding compound. What is a good trick to hold the shaft in place without spinning while rotating the prop back & forth with forward pressure until there isn't much grit left to the compound ? Thanks, cheers, John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic