Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 Ski Nautique 2001 Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 83 Ski Nautique 2001 Problems
    Posted: May-21-2014 at 10:47pm
New damper just came in the mail. Heard back from Fantastic Finish and they got the transmission all taken apart. Apparently the oil pump went bad and the oil pump gears ground into the front cover of the transmission, leading to the leaking oil... whoops! Price went up, no surprise there. Needs a new oil pump and front cover, plus the rebuild of course.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2014 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

The very end of each "wing" of the damper. Right next to each bolt that bolts the damper in place. It'll stick out over the edge of the flywheel a little bit. Trim off each "wing" so the starter doesn't make contact with it. It's only about a 1/2" or something like that. It isn't much. A dremel tool works awesome to cut it off.
I really don't know for sure why they need to be trimmed but everybody has to do it. I can only guess it's designed to fit a variety of different diameter flywheels but again purely a guess. Not a big deal.

I actually found an old splined shaft to fit the center of the plate, cut it off, drilled a center in the lathe then I scribe the radius. I cut them off in the bad saw and do the final trim on the belt sander. I don't want to throw the balance off!!

Yes, there are 7 different hole patterns in the plate to fit a multitude of flywheels.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2014 at 10:36am
Maybe you want to replace the rear main seal while you have it apart. Cheap insurance.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2014 at 1:05am
ordered the new damper, should be here mid next week. UPS shows that Fantastic Finish received my transmission at noon today. They said it was a 2-3 day turn around time period on the rebuild. So if all the stars align perfectly, I might just have this thing back together next weekend in time for Memorial Day.

Anything else I should attend to while the boat is this far taken apart?
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2014 at 10:56am
If you dont want to trim it yourself, there is also a pre-trimmed version available for $10 more:

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/ALTDA-106A/ALL3G

Eddie is correct- these dampers are transmission specific (Borg Warner Velvet Drive) and are "universal" in that they are made to fit a number of different engines. For example, a 72c bolted to a big block Chevy uses the same damper, (no trimming needed).
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2014 at 10:31am
The very end of each "wing" of the damper. Right next to each bolt that bolts the damper in place. It'll stick out over the edge of the flywheel a little bit. Trim off each "wing" so the starter doesn't make contact with it. It's only about a 1/2" or something like that. It isn't much. A dremel tool works awesome to cut it off.
I really don't know for sure why they need to be trimmed but everybody has to do it. I can only guess it's designed to fit a variety of different diameter flywheels but again purely a guess. Not a big deal.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 11:18pm
so this exact damper plate?

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/p/ALTDA-106

and can someone describe "trim" off a little? what exactly am I trimming?
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 10:43pm
I know of others that have purchased that Damper Plate that you need to trim off just a little. That is the way to go.
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 10:23pm
Ok will order a new damper plate for sure then, I wasn't 100% sure of what its exact purpose was until reading Eddie's description.

Well I hope everything works out with Fantastic Finish, they seem very good and on top of business so far. Every email I have sent them has been promptly responded to. I will be sure to report back any updates from them! Looking forward to getting this back out on the lake
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Originally posted by Mike26 Mike26 wrote:

Mailed off my transmission to fantastic finish marine yesterday.

Wish I had seen this a little sooner, I may be in the minority, but I did not have a good experience with the post-Eric Lavine FFM. I had my transmission rebuilt by them two summers ago and when I got the boat back it didn't run at all. The transmission wasn't the problem, so you may be ok if you only sent them that and not the whole boat, but they "fixed" a whole lot of stuff on mine that wasn't broken and ended up retarding my timing in the process. I live 40 minutes from them and they'll never see my boat again. Just my .02

Not one to be a basher but I sent my friend there with his Century, $5000 later the boat hasnt been usable since. Beware
Brian
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 2:18pm
I believe this is the damper you need, you have to trim the edges if I am not mistaken.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 1:24pm
ebasicpower has damper plates about half the price,Tim B will know for sure I believe he gets his from there
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Don't argue. Just do it.
Eddie's not ever a guy you want to argue with...not only is he always right about engine issues, he's the only guy I know who has "part time bouncer at the roadhouse because he beat Dalton at arm-wrestling" on his resume.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 1:20pm

Mailed off my transmission to fantastic finish marine yesterday.

Wish I had seen this a little sooner, I may be in the minority, but I did not have a good experience with the post-Eric Lavine FFM. I had my transmission rebuilt by them two summers ago and when I got the boat back it didn't run at all. The transmission wasn't the problem, so you may be ok if you only sent them that and not the whole boat, but they "fixed" a whole lot of stuff on mine that wasn't broken and ended up retarding my timing in the process. I live 40 minutes from them and they'll never see my boat again. Just my .02
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 12:50pm
The cooler doesn't have to be replaced unless you know it's leaking water into the tranny fluid. That requirement I'd presume is coming from whomever is rebuilding the tranny.

The damper plate is bolted to the flywheel and what the tranny input shaft actually mates up to. It provides the vibration dampening between the tranny input shaft and the crankshaft of the engine. Every time you go in and out of gear, the damper is doing it's job. It does this with a series of springs that become brittle and/or weak over a period time and eventually, they'll start breaking and sending pieces of the broken springs and the damper plate itself all over the inside of the bell housing. At that point you'll hear this hellatious noise from what you'll think is your brand new freshly rebuilt tranny grinding itself to a horrible halt.
Our standard recommendation is to replace the damper whenever you remove/replace the tranny. The ONLY way to replace the damper is to remove the tranny and it's easier seeing as it's easily accessable now and you have no idea how weak those springs have become or the last time it was ever replaced.
Inevitably, anyone who doesn't replace the damper after a tranny rebuild will just end up going through the hassle of removing the tranny a second time within a few short hours of a fresh rebuild.

After everything else that you've had to replace and/or repair in this endevour, the damper plate was the last line of defense in the entire drivetrain that probably saved your crankshaft from complete destruction. Do yourself a favor and get a new damper. Don't argue. Just do it.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 11:34am
Contacted Joe but it appears that he is all out of transmissions and I never heard when he might have new ones ready to go. Mailed off my transmission to fantastic finish marine yesterday. UPS guy didn't look all too thrilled when he attempted to pick up the box...

So, going onto this damper plate. Just out of curiosity, why is it necessary to replace the entire unit when pulling the transmission? All the warranty information I see about rebuilt transmissions says that the cooler has to be replaced but makes no mention of the damper plate. Looks like Skidim has them for a little over $200, unless someone knows of a better avenue to take.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 8:40pm
Joe is a great guy and very honest. If you send him your core, most ship these in an old Milk Crate. I believe you use plastic pull ties to install a wooden lid. You put your shipping info on the wooden lid.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Joe in NY has one of these tranny's already rebuilt and ready to go.   looked like a nice price too. Check the for sale section and I bet you'll be out the door cheaper and quicker than a tranny shop can help you in this season.

This Thread?
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 3:33pm
FFM
Eric no longer works there but they still have very capable people that know what they are doing. Still highly recommended by guys here.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 3:09pm
Joe in NY has one of these tranny's already rebuilt and ready to go.   looked like a nice price too. Check the for sale section and I bet you'll be out the door cheaper and quicker than a tranny shop can help you in this season.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 10:49pm
Wow, I gotta tell you that you're taking this really well. I had to reread the whole thread to remember what was going on. It's been one thing after another for you but you've been doing great at getting everything repaired. Learning a lot along the way too. Well done!!!!

However, yours is a classic example of what happens when a prop striking an object can damage anything along the entire drivetrain as you're quickly finding out. There's no doubt in my mind that this is still a result of the strike.
I can't help you with where to take it in the DFW area but you do need to make sure that you replace the damper on the flywheel. Any time that you remove/replace the tranny the damper should be replaced. If you don't, there's no doubt that you'll be pulling the tranny again after you get it rebuilt.

Eddie
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 8:19pm
So got the new cooler installed on the transmission and took the boat out on the water yesterday for a test. No more milky transmission but still lost all the fluid.... lots of transmission fluid in the bilge of the boat. Luckily we took plenty of spare fluid out with us so we just floated the boat in a cove and floated for a few hours before bringing the boat back in.

After doing some reading last night, it appears it is not that uncommon for the transmission seal to leak the ATF fluid out and it appeared that the fix involved pulling the transmission. A friend and I successfully got the transmission out of the boat in about 2 hour this afternoon with proper rehydration brakes here and there. It appears that the transmission was leaking into the bell housing.

So who can recommend someone to send this thing to? DFW area? I saw mention of Eric Lavine on the forums specializing in rebuilding these. Hoping to not be out of the lake game for too long. Thanks for any help!!

'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 11:10pm
Just a quick update, finally got the boat put all back together and got to test it out on lake Lewisville north of Dallas this past weekend. The new 542 prop is awesome behind the boat. Everything went great until about 7pm the RPMS started shuttering up and down so I turned it off. Come to find out the transmission leaked all of its fluid out and what little remained inside it looked like a milk shake. Figure its the oil cooler leaking fluid into the fresh water, so a new one is in the mail thanks to SKIDIM.

We were able to get a tow from a very friendly gentlemen in his nice new Super Air Nautique. It was a little sad to have to get towed back after such a great day on the water, but we should be back out this weekend and hopefully will make it out AND back under our own power!

shot of a buddy behind the boat on Saturday

'83 Ski Nautique 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:48am
The shaft log hose that SkiDIM sells is fine. There was nothing special about the original hose- it was pretty thin, not wire reinforced, etc. You do want the 1.5" and not the typical 1.75", as they mention on their website.

I cant tell exactly how damaged the keel is on the aft end of the strut base, but it doesnt look serious. The hull is very thick, that damage isnt a structural concern. I would rough up the area in question with some sand paper, clean it with acetone and then try to reshape the strut recess using some thickened resin. Follow with gelcoat if youre concerned with cosmetics.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 4:13am
Can you let me know where you will source the shaft hose from please?
I ordered some from skidim a while back and it and it was no good, wrong id, not wire reinforced, only 3 ply
'82 Ski Tique
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 1:43am

Just an update. Picked up the repaired strut last week, James Propeller in Dallas did a great job on it. Got it nice and strait and installed new bearing inside it. Cleaned up very well with some slight pitting (figure that is normal for 30 years).

So I now have the new ARE shaft, new 542 prop and redone strut with bearings. I am ordering new shaft packing for the shaft seal and a new hose for the shaft seal.

Now before I put this all back together, I need to address the damage done to the underside of the boat when the strut was vibrating around under it. In the pictures you can see the enlarged bolt hole for the strut hole. There is also damage just behind where the strut mounts. I am trying to see what the best method for fixing this is. Do I need to grind it down and apply new gelcoat to it? I am not very concerned with how it looks cosmetically as it will be under the boat, so color match is not a concern. I just want to make sure it is fixed and not going to lead to more problems.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2014 at 12:30am
Fit tolerance was never mentioned. He just showed me where inside of the strut there are two bearings and that one of them had moved forward towards the other bearing and come off the set screw (figure this is most likely do to the "incident")

When I took the strut to the prop repair shop, the owner took a look at it and said it was slightly tweaked to the side but said there was no sign of stretching or compression. Hopefully he will call me back with good news!!
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 10:14pm

well the real cool part was when they told me when you push the bearing out of the strut, it removes a layer of metal and then new bearings just rotate inside the strut... they said they recommend replacing the strut anytime it requires new bearings inside it...

WOW, what are they smoking at that dealer? I have NEVER EVER heard such BS!! They must like selling struts!! Did they bother or even know what the fit tolerance is?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I took the strut over to the Nautique dealer and they looked at the strut and said it had a very slight bend and that once they are bent they are not repairable... I then took the strut to the prop repair shop and the owner is quite confident he can repair the strut and replace the bearings inside of it.

Of course they are going to tell you it's not repairable. Guess what, I have a feeling they wanted to sell you a new strut!! This is only one reason that going to a dealer should be your ABSOLUTE LAST option!!

well the real cool part was when they told me when you push the bearing out of the strut, it removes a layer of metal and then new bearings just rotate inside the strut... they said they recommend replacing the strut anytime it requires new bearings inside it...
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I took the strut over to the Nautique dealer and they looked at the strut and said it had a very slight bend and that once they are bent they are not repairable... I then took the strut to the prop repair shop and the owner is quite confident he can repair the strut and replace the bearings inside of it.

Of course they are going to tell you it's not repairable. Guess what, I have a feeling they wanted to sell you a new strut!! This is only one reason that going to a dealer should be your ABSOLUTE LAST option!!

Indeed mine was bent like a banana before I sent it over to the US for john to fix
'82 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic