Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

secret squirl head quarters, 351w build

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: secret squirl head quarters, 351w build
    Posted: June-24-2014 at 2:46pm
I originally checked the carb height with the alignment not set and it was close. I ended up putting a 1.5 inch carb spacer with that manifold combo . The other problem was the throttle bracket, so I cut and just lengthend it or say brang it up the total rise of the new height and everything's starting to lign up. Also ended up putting the coil on the left side . Then with the chainge in carb height a new fuel line had to be bent up again.
1989 nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2014 at 10:52am
Carb looks like she's standing pretty tall hope it fits under the hood.
Nice work.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 8:38pm
Looks Great!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 6:32pm

Manifolds on and time for some wiring. hopefully get the carb and timeing set next
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 6:22pm

little more progress, the engines back in and the alignments done. just have to finish up the exaust manifolds and start making plug wires

1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 6:17pm

The engine and trans got shot with a gun all together. it looks awesome, and with all the bolts and washers painted their should be no rust.
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 6:11pm

all new rubber for the mounts, blasted and painted.
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 6:08pm
all together and epoxy primed   

1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 6:03pm
hold a about the same and clears the blige with no problem.

1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 6:00pm

one piece oil pan gasket,new pumps on and a new pan. the biggest oil leak was from the cast dip stick mount that's riveted to the pan. theirs a cork gasket, that probily could of been replaced and then bolted back up. I went the new pan route though.
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 5:48pm

epoxy primed
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 5:32pm

new carb spacer drilled and taped for the pvc valve.   
1989 nautique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2014 at 11:25pm
I'm going to have to agree, you're passing up some easy hp in the gt40p's and looking for a smaller gain with the timing that could potentially destroy the motor if it's not right.   I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but I certainly would have a really good idea about where I was going, and if it was safe or I would put it on a dyno first to find out.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2014 at 10:49pm
I agree that Marine knowledge is needed for your advance curve.
I have seen many pistons with the piston rings fractured, head gaskets blown out and even piston heads with holes burned in them from a little too much advance curve. If it is detonating things break. In the dyno lab a perfectly running 350 Chevy will make 600 psi in the cylinder at wide open throttle. Add a little too much timing introducing detonation and that cylinder pressure can jump to 3,500 PSI or more.
This jump in pressure is what breaks parts. When timing is advanced a little past perfect the chamber gets hot, when it starts to glow red it can ignite the fuel charge early, this early lite off is Detonation, it tries to blow that piston back down in the hole with 7 other pistons pushing it up, creates extreme force on the piston, rings and head gasket. More timing can make power, too much will cause problems.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 5:41pm
Automotive usually has it all in by 2000 rpms. I think mine is all in around 3500 if memory serves me..

Joe and Tim have more performance tuning experience with stock stuff so they will weigh in correctly if I am wrong. Detonation ruins everyone's day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 5:18pm
What's the recommended rpm for the advance weights to kick in with out causing detonation?
1989 nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 4:11pm
The gear for that one isn't anything special, but you should be a little concerned about the springs. I would get those direct from pcm or the distributor manufacturer. You need to take into account the constant high loading of a marine engine when you get into curving that thing. Even a very good automotive shop could screw it up if they don’t have much marine background. It’s not rocket science and you don’t want to be too conservative but I have seen more than once where too early of a peak advance creates persistent heavy detonation.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by inglesideshawn inglesideshawn wrote:

Im going to have it put on a machine and set up to advance around 2k. Weather it gets new springs or not I guess depends on how it does on the machine

I had a shop work on my dizzy too - they extended the guide slots about 1/8 inch to give me more total advance. Doesn't look like rocket science but having a machine to verify is good thing.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 12:49pm
Grease and is their a kit that has springs and a gear?
1989 nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 8:06am
Shawn,
I don't have any use for WD40! After it evaporates, it doesn't leave much lubrication. Try LPS #2.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 4:30am
Should say its difficult to actuate the weights. Its got the wd40 treatment before. Now its getting fully disassembled and glass beaded and sutch. Im going to have it put on a machine and set up to advance around 2k. Weather it gets new springs or not I guess depends on how it does on the machine
1989 nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2014 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by inglesideshawn inglesideshawn wrote:

Is their room to put a drain?

Don't think "ball valve". A pet cock is pretty short.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2014 at 3:47pm
Shawn,
The two different size springs on the distributor advance is original. Just lube up the mechanism and see how it works. Why are you saying it's difficult to adjust?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2014 at 2:09pm
Original went out the window when I did the stringers. Now its more of improving on a design. Ide like to put a remote oil filter on to, just not quite sure were to mount it that would be a better location than were it currently is. or say cleaner    
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2014 at 1:57pm

with the weight of those springs it shall be interesting to see when the distributor was actually going to full advance. im thinking this was not stock.   
1989 nautique
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2014 at 1:54pm
I might have to put a 90 degree elbow on it. I hope so. I think the filter is kind of dumb if it's hard to drain. I would have fuel all over my hands. I'm gonna try to put that valve on it. It's a small one. I thought about doing what you are doing but like to keep things original if I can. Not that it's always a good thing.
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2014 at 1:49pm
Is their room to put a drain?
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2014 at 1:46pm

The old filter housing cut off.

new style spin on filter.   
1989 nautique
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2014 at 1:42pm
I've got my fuel filter housing out right now. I thought I would clean it up and paint it over the winter. I plan on putting a pet cock valve on the bottom to drain the thing periodically over the summer. Does anyone else have a quick drain on theirs?
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2014 at 1:37pm
For a "low hour" engine its got considerable amount of cylinder wear (ridge). the rear main leak to a oil pan with a pin hole in it,was drinking a quart of oil at each check, for a 20 year old engine kind of acceptable .
todays project is a spin on fuel filter, and the distributor. looks like theirs two different springs in it and is quite difficult to advance. the housing is going to get bead blasted,the weights are getting new springs set up on a machine.       
1989 nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic