Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Engine Dies around 1/2 tank of gas - Help Needed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Dies around 1/2 tank of gas - Help Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Dies around 1/2 tank of gas - Help Needed
    Posted: August-24-2015 at 3:04am
Well done.   You'll continue to be amazed at how well the 351W HO runs on "old school" systems.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 12:27am
Awesome you got it all set up and running good
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 7:43pm
Update - Switched the PORTEC out today and hooked up (I helped someone who actually knew what they were doing) the PCM RETRO KIT. After much advice and several discussions regarding cutting wires, timing, timing curve and a lot more stuff I know nothing about I made the choice to to with that unit. Mainly because it is OEM, I can get support if I need it and it is a "known entity" That being said thanks for all for advice and problem solving you guys provided. This is an awesome community. Now the good part -

Boat Ran Like a CHAMP!!! It hasn't run this good since I bought it. I just didn't realize how bad it was running. It sounds like a sewing machine under there now. Starts up quick, temp stays good (Used to say it was running hot - PROTEC?) IT screams out of the hole and the acceleration is awesome.

The install was pretty painless - Note: The person who helped me also builds drag cars for a hobbie. Start to finish was less than three hours and it took about 15 seconds to set the timing and we were done.

Issues - The only issue we had was the cover (Where PROTEC used to be - covers ballister, 50 amp etc...) didn't want to go over the wires and fuses and stuff. Slight mod and good to go. I can post some pics but they are pretty uneventful. Looks like a normal engine..

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 7:51pm
Also, JQ is correct the "I" terminal is 12Vdc key switched on the Protec motors.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Swapping to the DUI is a good idea but if you want to try something while your waiting for parts. Locate the 12.5 amp breaker on the aft of the engine near the coil pack. Turn on the key and measure the voltage. It should be close to battery voltage, 12-14Vdc. If it's lower than say about 10Vdc it may be that the Protec unit is not getting sufficient operating voltage and intermittently going into limp mode. I had this problem a long time ago and was able to fix it with some wiring changes. My Protec is still working at 1500hours

Thanks. I will check that out this evening.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 7:33pm
Swapping to the DUI is a good idea but if you want to try something while your waiting for parts. Locate the 12.5 amp breaker on the aft of the engine near the coil pack. Turn on the key and measure the voltage. It should be close to battery voltage, 12-14Vdc. If it's lower than say about 10Vdc it may be that the Protec unit is not getting sufficient operating voltage and intermittently going into limp mode. I had this problem a long time ago and was able to fix it with some wiring changes. My Protec is still working at 1500hours
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 6:07pm
It can't.

I wouldn't bother with a new harness unless you need a new harness. The protec has extra sensors/switches but will not harm anything to leave them be. Neither harness will give you the exact wire/connector needed for the DUI. It is easy to add/modify in either case.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 5:56pm

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

The DUI positive input is wired directly to the "I" terminal on the starter solenoid / switch...

I'll concede that it's basically owners choice with how you want to do the wiring. I guess it's basically time saved, vs. money saved. Clearly the harness is not mandatory.

I still hold that the harness would save some time, and also give you brand new wiring and connections. If the factory wiring is still un corroded and in good shape, the advantage of the harness would be dimished somewhat.

There is however one question about the description posted above. How can the "i" post on the starter solenoid be used as the positive source for the distributor? To my understanding, every post on the solenoid is either energized constantly, or energized only during cranking. There is no post that is energized by the key being turned to "on."

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Originally posted by 91NaughtyQ 91NaughtyQ wrote:

Bri8g2001 - Does that harness allow me to skip cutting any wires when installing the DUI? ...

Thanks.

Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

The DUI doesn't use a wire harness. It only requires a hot and a neutral.

...And, NO, the harness on skidim is not designed for the DUI /HEI unit, but rather for an external coil & distributor unit (like the Mallory).

JQ

Everyone is correct (including me).

Yes, that wiring harness would allow you to skip cutting wires.

Yes, the DUI only requires a hot and a neutral. But, you still need:
*to get a positive (red) feed to the dash
*a switched (purple) feed from the dash (key) to the ignition
*ground (black) to the dash
*distributor signal (grey?) to the tachometer
*oil pressure sender signal to the dash
*water temp sender signal to the dash
*alternator output to the battery
*ignition voltage to the alternator for the exciter line if you have such an alternator
*trouble light alarm signal to the dash (works of oil and temp switches)
Did I miss anything? I'm not sure, there's a lot of wires

Yes, correct, this harness is not specifically for the DUI. It is closer to the correct one for an electronic distributor and coil (non ballasted) setup. But, it provides an ignition source for the dizzy, and takes care of all the functions I mentioned above.

Hmmmm...When I swapped out my ProTech AND my Throttle-body Fuel injection, I yanked everything off that had to do with ProTech and the TBI. I took all the ProTech wiring and associated breakers off. Gone. I did keep the sensors in place -- just removed the wiring.

As I recall, there was no need to re-wire a bunch of systems that were related to the ProTech. Here is what I did:

- positive (red) feed to the dash - This comes in from the main wire harness into the 50 amp breaker and starter switch / solenoid

- ground (black) to the dash - This comes in from the main wire harness and I ran a new wire to the block and joined to the existing ground wires.

- distributor signal (grey?) to the tachometer - This comes in from the main wire harness and I ran a new wire to the DUI tach terminal. You are correct, it is a gray wire.

- oil pressure sender signal to the dash - Is not affected by the ProTech wiring harness and connects directly to the main wire harness. (Oil Pressure sensor for ProTech was left in place, but wire was disconnected)

- water temp sender signal to the dash - Is not affected by the ProTech wiring harness and connects directly to the main wire harness. (Water temperature sensor for ProTech was left in place, but wire was disconnected)

- alternator output to the battery - Is not affected by the ProTech wiring harness and connects through the 50 amp breaker and then to the main wire harness.

- ignition voltage connects to the main wire harness.

- trouble light alarm signal to the dash (works of oil and temp switches) - This alarm no longer functions.

CC even put the unused positive and negative wires for the electric choke in the wire bundle. All I had to do has hook 'em up.

The DUI positive input is wired directly to the "I" terminal on the starter solenoid / switch. I used 12 gauge wire with an in-line fuse.

I've slept since then, so some of the details are a little fuzzy...     I can double-check when I get back to the garage.

JQ

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

It's a simple 3 wire hook up. No other wiring changes needed to keep all the functionality you mention above. If it were my money, I'd skip the wiring harness. The wiring portion of the swap is pretty simple and straight forward.

Thanks JPASS
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 3:00pm
It's a simple 3 wire hook up. No other wiring changes needed to keep all the functionality you mention above. If it were my money, I'd skip the wiring harness. The wiring portion of the swap is pretty simple and straight forward.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 11:10am

Bri8g2001 - Does that harness allow me to skip cutting any wires when installing the DUI? ...

Thanks.

Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

...And, NO, the harness on skidim is not designed for the DUI /HEI unit, but rather for an external coil & distributor unit (like the Mallory).

JQ

Everyone is correct (including me).

Yes, that wiring harness would allow you to skip cutting wires.

Yes, the DUI only requires a hot and a neutral. But, you still need:
*to get a positive (red) feed to the dash
*a switched (purple) feed from the dash (key) to the ignition
*ground (black) to the dash
*distributor signal (grey?) to the tachometer
*oil pressure sender signal to the dash
*water temp sender signal to the dash
*alternator output to the battery
*ignition voltage to the alternator for the exciter line if you have such an alternator
*trouble light alarm signal to the dash (works of oil and temp switches)
Did I miss anything? I'm not sure, there's a lot of wires

Yes, correct, this harness is not specifically for the DUI. It is closer to the correct one for an electronic distributor and coil (non ballasted) setup. But, it provides an ignition source for the dizzy, and takes care of all the functions I mentioned above.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 11:16pm
Thanks Johnny quest. Appreciate all of the help.!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 11:14pm
I would be cautious with total advance of more than 32 degrees at 3,000 RPMs. More than that could produce some detonation (pinging). You could also increase the octane rating if you want to run a little more advance. My High Output is set at 10 degrees at idle and right at 32 degrees at 3,000 RPMs. Very strong. I love the advance curve on the DUI.

JPass has had good luck with his at 12 degrees and 34 degrees, so you could try both and see how the engine runs. JPass did a very nice write-up on the DUI installation. Great place to start. Print up a few pictures and take 'em out to the boat with you.

And, NO, the harness on skidim is not designed for the DUI /HEI unit, but rather for an external coil & distributor unit (like the Mallory).

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 10:00pm
JPASS - So with no distributor I would have it sitting on TDC for number 1. It should look similar to the pics. Got it. After that then install the DUI and advance or retard to get it to 12 degrees BTDC at idle and it should also be 34 degrees BTDC at 3k RPM. When that is achieved tighten up recheck and if all is good I am set?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 9:56pm
Johnny Quest - Thanks for the part info. Calling in the morning.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 9:33pm

JPASS - Sounds great. I think I am going to order the live wires with the DUI. I do have one question as to the timing. With the DUI it is my understanding that I want to set the timing at 700 RPM on the DUI and that should do it. Please take a look at this pic and help me understand what that should be and where I initially set it before I crank that motor.

Super newby to the timing stuff so I am asking a ton of questions..

Timing should be 12 degrees at idle and about 34 degrees at 3K RPM. You may have to make some slight adjustments, but that should get you close.

Notice the position of the cap in the pics in the install thread. If you're at TDC on cylinder one and install the new DUI, yours should be similarly positioned like the ones in the thread. If it's way off, you may want to double check things.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 9:25pm
Johnny Quest - Thanks for the part info. Calling in the morning.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 9:24pm
JPASS - FYI

I printed out your instructions and have been reading up on the process. Thanks for posting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 9:23pm
JPASS - Sounds great. I think I am going to order the live wires with the DUI. I do have one question as to the timing. With the DUI it is my understanding that I want to set the timing at 700 RPM on the DUI and that should do it. Please take a look at this pic and help me understand what that should be and where I initially set it before I crank that motor.

Super newby to the timing stuff so I am asking a ton of questions..
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 9:13pm
While you're waiting for your parts to arrive, I'd go check the wiring harness at the coil pack and trigger plug at the current dizzy.

Read the wiring portion of the instructions and confirm your hot, signal, and ground wires. If you have questions, post pics. That will help us help you.

I would get some dielectric grease for your new wires. If you need to make your own, don't worry, it's way simple.

Maybe pick up some wire organizers too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 8:56pm
Thanks Orlando 76...
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 8:27pm
Please support The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1993 Ski Nautique purple and black 351 HO PCM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 8:09pm
Bri8g2001 - Does that harness allow me to skip cutting any wires when installing the DUI? Any tips on that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 7:46pm
Does anyone know if the wiring harness on skidim makes it "plug and play"?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 7:45pm
KROUNDY - Will do!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 7:45pm
If in stock I will not worry about the color. Tried to take the boat out again today (I know it is a roll of the dice) and it died again after a bit. Odering DUI tommorrow.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 6:53pm
DUI Was out of stock for 4-6 weeks on lefty distributors when I did mine. Summit had a few in stock and got it in 2 days but had to settle for blue cap.... Kinda like the blue cap. Swapping to the DUI was so easy, any Hillary Clinton can do it.
Please support The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1993 Ski Nautique purple and black 351 HO PCM
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 6:40pm
I'd recommend that while you are installing the DUI, and adding new plug wires you put in a fresh set of plugs. Be sure to gap them per the DUI instructions. You will need a timing light to do the job. You can buy one or borrow one. If you lived closer to Washington I'd come help you. I found the DUI job to be a lot of fun and relatively easy to do. Follow the instructions in that link precisely and you'll have no problems. I actually printed them out and had them right there by my side.

It takes some time to get your DUI. I think it took about two weeks for my order to arrive. At the time they were backed up and they build and test every unit. It is high-quality stuff. My engine fires and runs with some real gusto now. I think you'll find this to be a good choice.

At the end of the job be sure post a photo and add your name to the list of guys who have done the DUI swap in the DUI instruction thread.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 3:01pm
DUI Part Number for the HEI distributor: M35820RD (The "RD" is for a red cap. If you want black, then substitute the RD for BK)

The DUI Part Number for the Live Wires: DUI-C9059RD (you may need to verify that these "over-the-valve -covers will work around marine exhaust manifolds).

If you have the PLD engine, recommended Spark Plugs are Autolite 24. If you have the PLP engine, then use Autolite 764. (You should be able to increase the plug gap with the High Energy Ignition on the DUI unit).

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic