NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical problem on '81 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical problem on '81 ski nautique
    Posted: September-24-2015 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It would be a good idea to consider a new set of battery cables.

There you go suggestion just replacing parts without testing first, lmao!!

Chris,
Aren't you supposed to be working on some clients project??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 3:04pm
Will do, thanks again!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 3:00pm

It would be a good idea to consider a new set of battery cables.

There you go suggestion just replacing parts without testing first, lmao!!

Agree with PD the clamp style battery terminals are garbage, if the cables all look fine otherwise NAPA has soldier style replacement terminals available with the solder already in them. If you do replace this way just be sure you get the correct + and - terminals as they are different sizes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 2:42pm
Hugh,
It would be a good idea to consider a new set of battery cables. The bolt on "repair" cable connections are't good at their best. If you do get a set, go with a heavier gauge cable. Also, whenever you connect a cable to a battery, always use a brush type terminal cleaner on both the battery stud and the cable connector. Then some dielectric grease will ensure a longer good connection.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 1:36pm
I'll set a reminder to have Brian remind me in 4 years.

Electrical connections rarely "look" bad. You really gotta get in there closer.
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 1:34pm
God help me get through those years..... Thanks for not shaming me, you can make fun of me elsewhere....
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by hughman hughman wrote:

She is one of those 14 year old's...

I'll have Siri remind me to recheck this thread in 4 years

That's battery connection is a relatively odd one, so no need to feel bad you didn't think of it first. Just good you found it and fixed it
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 1:11pm
She is one of those 14 year old's that looks much, much older. No pics, sorry--
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 1:10pm
sorry, my 83 has amp meter set up.   Could have been upgrade. volt meter set up is way cheaper.

im keeping it as an amp meter as well.   
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 12:58pm
irrelevant, and no
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

and when the boys see her, it is easy to get a tow back!

pics

Kevin,
Didn't you just get married?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 12:51pm

and when the boys see her, it is easy to get a tow back!

pics
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 12:45pm
Ok, I checked the fuses, they were fine. Went back to the beginning with all the suggestions I had gotten on here, starting at the beginning. with all the electrical connections. So I rechecked the clamps on the battery terminals, they were tight. But this time I noticed the connection of the wire to the clamp was loose.on the positive terminal. So I took them all off, wire brushed all of it and reassembled. Now when I turn the key, the gauges come on an stay on. So that was my problem. I will now slink away with my tail between my legs. Thanks for all your help, everyone!
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 4:59am
On my 78, every single contact and wire clip behind the dash was a nice shade of green.....
Took a while to clean them up and put some electric grease on them....I gained some ignition circuit voltage by doing so.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

if its an amp meter then ck connections. i believe everything runs through it.   

By 81, I'm 99% sure CC had gone to volt meters. Besides, there's not much that will go wrong with an Amp meter. It's simply has a heavy conductor from terminal to terminal with a current transformer wrapped around it. When they fail, it will stop reading the amps but will still carry the current through it. If you have an old one around, take it apart and see what's inside.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:43pm
Thanks! When you pointed out where the fuses were, it was a literal head-slapping moment. If that is (hopefully) the problem, it will be hard to be honest about it with my daughter, I might get some additional (deserved) head slaps from her. She wanted to ski that day very badly when this problem developed.... She is real good at pathetically trying to row the boat towards where we put the boat in, and when the boys see her, it is easy to get a tow back!
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:42pm
if its an amp meter then ck connections. i believe everything runs through it.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

there are fuses just to the left of the helm (round caps). One of them is specifically for the ignition circuit & I would focus on the wires coming to & from that one. Your fuse could be corroded or the contact inside the holder for that matter.

I agree.. Get that VOM to work!!

Hugh,
I've seen some pretty bad connections on the .250 sta-con quick disconnects. They were frequently used for connections on fuses. Take a look on the back side of your helm (dash). I've even seen them split open since the bronze used gets brittle over time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:03pm
Hugh - I am not familiar with the '81 dash but from your picture it looks like there are fuses just to the left of the helm (round caps). One of them is specifically for the ignition circuit & I would focus on the wires coming to & from that one. Your fuse could be corroded or the contact inside the holder for that matter.

If you can't make heads or tails of it, then this may be a case where a boat mechanic would be money well spent. You don't want to be out on a great lake with a marginal electrical system.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:00pm
Yes. Off the top of my head, not sure which, but there is an electrical gauge on the dash..
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 2:24pm
is boat set up with volt meter or Amp Meter?
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 11:58am
Ok, I feel very stupid. Why couldn't I see that? Guess it was just too obvious. Now I REALLY am waiting for 5 o'clock to hurry up! Thanks so much! Fingers are crossed I am closer to a solution with all your help--this site is awesome!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 11:50am
Hugh,
Have your battery load tested at the auto supply. Hopefully it isn't a deep cycle! It also would be a good idea to have the alternator and regulator tested. It looks like your fusing is in the dash to the left of the helm wheel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 11:25am
I only use the Garmin depth/fish finder, and the way it is wired, I have to remember to turn it off when I turn the boat off. Have not used the radios in so long, I do not remember if they are the same.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 11:15am
I guess I would tend to be somewhat suspicious of the add on electrical accessories. Especially since the basic dash wiring of these boats tends to be just robust enough to do what it has to do. Not much room for anything extra.

Of course, if this problem is just turning up now, after 7-8 years, I guess those things are less suspicious.

Now, do those accessories rely on the key switch in order to be able to turn on?
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 11:04am
Thanks, that is what I was thinking about the breaker, but was not sure. I have not found any fuses at the helm. Would they be in-line fuses? Or a "fuse board"? Not sure what I am looking for, sorry. The battery is less than 2 years old, and I keep it charged up periodically throughout the winter, I assume it is good. As far as the wiring, I am not aware of any changes, especially within the last 7 years. As a gift, I was given the radios, and the fish/depth finder 8-9 years ago. I had them installed by a "boat guy". I actually never use the radios, but a safety thing if I plan on going out on Lake Michigan, Huron, or Erie, which the boat has been on all 3. I use the depth finder to find fishing spots on lakes I an unfamiliar with, and to help keep from hitting the bottom. And yes, there is lots of skiing....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 10:34am
Hugh,
Something tripped the main breaker. Are any of the fuses at the helm blown? Yes, the tripped breaker does indicate a problem since they don't trip by themselves. Now, the issue will be to find out what did trip it. What condition is your battery in? The main breaker typically is between the alternator and the battery. Has anyone done any changes to the wiring?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 10:25am

Here is the dash picture I promised. Thanks so much for the troubleshooting advice. Now I just have to count down the hours until I can get home and play with my baby again. Are there any comments on the circuit breaker button? Should it have been pushed out like that? Does that indicate there was a problem there? Did I do the right thing pushing it in? Wish I had checked it again after it was still having the problem. Hurry up, 5 pm !
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2015 at 11:18pm
One thing to keep in mind, when you are dealing with the key switch, you are dealing will all positive side voltage.

-Switch your voltmeter to 12 volts DC,
-Put the black wire in the ground side on the meter, and
-Put the red wire in the positive side on the meter. Use the red hole one designated for 12 volt dc testing, sometimes they go in different places depending on what you're testing.
-This is where either alligator clip test leads, or a helper come in handy. (Also, why I prefer a test light for quick and dirty basic testing, they come with an alligator clip.) You want to solidly attach, or have the helper firmly probe the negative terminal on the battery, or other known good ground with the black probe and hold it.
-Now, use your red wire to basically poke around the key switch. The wires going in, and the wires coming out. You can't hurt anything, unless you actually puncture a gauge with the sharp probe
-One of the posts should always show voltage, whether the key is off or on. This is the battery input post
-One of the posts should consistently show voltage with the key on, and none with the key off. This is your ignition post.
-One of the posts should show voltage only when the key is turned to the start.
-Now, back to the always live post. See if you can hold the red probe there, and start giggling your suspect connections. If the voltage reading waivers, you are getting close to finding a problem.
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2015 at 10:33pm
Thanks so much. I pushed the "red button". It pushed in and stayed pushed in. I thought that meant it had been pushed out through a short, and was all set. Started it up, and it ran an even shorter time before it started shorting out. Bought a volt meter, read the instructions, and was dumbfounded how to use it. Looked under the dash, saw no fuses. I will go out and take a pic of the dash and post tomorrow. Thinking it is above my comfort zone. Thanks for all the help! Will do some wiggling tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic