NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not starting-redux

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gravyleg pirate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not starting-redux
    Posted: July-17-2017 at 6:58pm
Quick update, I started from the beginning and secured everything from the battery on back. Charged the battery overnight with a new charger just in case it wasn't fully up. Brand new starter installed after it failed the bench test miserably. took off both ground wires and scrubbed them for a better connection.

something worked. don't know what but the whole thing fired up and ran like a champ for about twenty minutes on the lake. Then it died, with no restart whatsoever.

Turns over really well but no catch at all. Had to be towed back. Will be starting a new thread to share the next big repair project!
GLP
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane"

2000 Air Nautique 216 (for 19 years)
2005 Air Nautique SV211 (2 months and counting...)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2017 at 12:11am
Are you getting power the start relay (solenoid) I terminal and is it engaging? If so, check the voltage in from the battery and out to the starter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 11:44pm
Update>>> The shop i took the starter to had a marine starter in stock for $100. Couldn't pass it up and has to be better than the old one full of rust. Installed it, checked all the connections and.... Nothing.

I get a faint "beep" to the right from under my dash and that's it. Nav lights come on, blower works, but horn only clicks.

Any thoughts on where to go from here? I was convinced the starter was shorting something out, but now I'm at more of a loss than before!

GLP

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 7:02pm
My starter is a bottom mount. Have to lie on my side with my arm under the block to about my shoulder to get that thing off!

Thanks for all the info! There is an amazing amount of knowledge just floating around here!
GLP

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 6:49pm
I'd go with a Marine Starter from Skidim or Nautiqueparts. Should be easy to find since yours would take the same starter as an Excal, since it's small block Chevy based.

There seems to be a few variations depending on top or bottom mount. I believe this is what you need, but you might want to confirm with a phone call before ordering:
http://www.skidim.com/STARTER-GM-LH-305_350_454_60L-Top-Mount/productinfo/RA122009/
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 6:21pm
Learn something new everyday! Had no idea about the battery and didn't realize there were so many threads on that very subject....

Just heard from the automotive electric shop that tested my starter and said it was nearly completely full of rust and it's too far gone to rebuild. So, is it better to get a new one from skidim, or NP? Or is an automotive starter ok here? I'm not sure if I have the GM or Ford engine.

It's a 5.L PCM, 275hp
GLP

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by gravyleg pirate gravyleg pirate wrote:

The battery was from our local battery shop and is a deep cycle. where would I find a starter battery? That type doesn't ring a bell to me.

The deep will work for now starting the engine but don't expect it to last long. They are made for long low amp loads like a trolling motor or accessories which is the exact opposite of cranking an engine. There's nothing "marine" needed for a starting battery. All that is needed is an automotive battery rated for starting. Evidently the guy at the battery shop needs his "bell rung"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 4:36pm
The battery was from our local battery shop and is a deep cycle. where would I find a starter battery? That type doesn't ring a bell to me.
GLP

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 4:35pm
OK, I jiggled the throttle and it appears to be in neutral, the lanyard is attached and when I remove it the button drops quite a ways so it feels ok.

All the breakers look and feel unpopped under the dash. I'll try reprogramming the keypad when I get home to see if that helps. I like the idea of using just one side. Right now I'm only using 2's and 3's.

Thanks for all the replies, this is half the fun of boat ownership right?
GLP

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 12:54am
[QUOTE=gravyleg pirate] How do I check the main breaker box under the steering wheel? QUOTE]

Under the helm, your breaker box has maybe twenty buttons that should be soft to the finger touch. Touch each one and if it is hard then it needs to be reset. You reset it by pushing them in. There also are breaker buttons on the back of the engine near the EMC box. Right above the transmission. Look for tripped breakers there too.

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 12:42am
You stated you purchased a new battery. What type of battery did you buy? Was it a Starter Battery, Dual Purpose Battery or Deep Cycle Marine Battery.   Starter Battery is the correct answer.

Is your throttle in neutral? I giggle my throttle before I start my 2002. Is your emergency lanyard in its proper place? If not it will not allow you to start.

If the keypad is bad, you can reprogram to take the combination out of the system. Some have reprogramed their pass key with just using the numbers on one side of the pad.

I hope this helps,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 11:27pm
Thanks for the thoughts! I pulled the starter completely out and did a quick bench test on the driveway with my wife's car. Seems like it is ok, but going to run up and get it tested by the pros.

I have some lights on my keypad, but am not sure how to go about testing it. I'll read that other post tonight and see if it makes sense. Sounds like skido might be the place for a replacement.
GLP

fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 10:19pm
I do hope it is not the key pad, Nautique parts was out of the key pad a couple weeks ago and did not have a date when they would be available. Hope they are in stock now.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 9:16pm
Here's that old thread
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 8:48pm
I believe that mdvalent (mike) went through a keypad issue with his 2000 sport, and the solution was to buy a new key pad.   I know your probably some troubleshooting distance from that happening, but you should probably keep it in mind, the keypads are not bulletproof, they do go bad. I was unable to find the thread, but suspect it was ~5 years or so ago
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 8:43pm
Do your gauges respond when you turn on the power? If not you need to find the 20 amp fuse that powers the dash. The fuse may be in the positive loom near the battery or ?. I heard they did a modification to move the fuse to a better spot but do not know where. I had to replace my fuse holder this year it was shot. Hope this helps.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:24am
OK, did that. Took my dremel tool to the connections at the battery and looked at the main ground to the engine block. All looks good, no corrosion. How do I check the main breaker box under the steering wheel? Any chance that is getting shorted out somehow?
GLP

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 12:34pm
Start with your battery cables and connections. Hit them with a wire brush and reconnect.
Then re-check.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 12:23pm
Hey all, I'm a frequent lurker and haven't had much cause to post, but now I have something way over my head.

I have a 2000 Air Nautique with a brand new battery. The other day I went to fire it up and I get one click, then the power shuts off completly. Have to re-enter my code on the keypad and try again with no luck. I seem to have power to the solenoid atop the starter, but after that I'm lost where to go next. Electrical systems are like spanish to me. I understand a little but not much.

I've read a boatload of posts on this similar thing but couldn't track down the one that matches exactly. It seems it could be a variety of issues, any thoughts on where to go from here?
GLP

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic