NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Casting plug replacement trick

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Casting plug replacement trick
    Posted: July-19-2017 at 3:31pm
Maybe unhook battery 1st, then pull starter.   I bet someone has done that backwards & had a few sparks!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
ceruzziracing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceruzziracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 3:30pm
Or in the case of that one, you could utilize a proper casting plug insertion tool. That way you don't lever against anything and concern anyone.... They run about $75 online
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by WinterTurtle WinterTurtle wrote:

Good to know it's possible! I have a 10+ year old dry rubber stopper I need to replace with one behind the starter. No idea how accessible (or not) it is but surely an adventure!

just pull the starter... its two bolts and a couple of nuts for the wires.   Pulling the starter will save you an hour of futzing to get the two plugs to line up correctly so you can lever the plug in using something you shouldn't pry on
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 11:43am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Don't worry Larry, Pete will come along with the answer

Ken,
I trust Larry's intelligence to be able to figure this one out by himself. He certainly doesn't need me to confuse the issue!    

Good answer Pete
WinterTurtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 11:37am
Good to know it's possible! I have a 10+ year old dry rubber stopper I need to replace with one behind the starter. No idea how accessible (or not) it is but surely an adventure!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Ken,
I trust Larry's intelligence to be able to figure this one out by himself. He certainly doesn't need me to confuse the issue!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 11:14am
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 10:51am
Does this work for freeze plugs, too?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 10:39am
Tenacity is a virtue, well done

However, wedge a smartly cut 2/4 under the exhaust manifold to take the pressure off, one can take the mount right off.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:57am
Great tip!

Where there s a will, there's a way.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
ceruzziracing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceruzziracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 6:52am
I had been scratching my head trying to figure a way to get to the four casting plugs behind the engine mounts w/o having to pull/lift motor. Finally came up with a solution that worked for me on my '97 176. Photo may be hard to decipher but this is what I did. Prepped the openings per usual with sandpaper and ran film of Permatex around inner edge. Placed new plug in block and, using an old plug and small pry bar, pressed the new plug in using engine mount for leverage. Had the old plug with concave surface facing block and levered new plug into seat. Takes some trial and error, and would be great to have smaller hands lol.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic