Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

looking for help - polishing 101

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for help - polishing 101
    Posted: December-23-2007 at 3:38pm
Sounds good. As always, thanks for the help.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 12:08pm
I was told by the body man that painted my boat to toss the pad in a bucket of 50/50 water/bleach after using and let it soak for a few hours. That's what I do and it works very well. I then rinse it ans To dry it I just spin the water out of it and hit it with a flat blade screw driver like you do to clean the dried compound out. Same pad for 2 years now and still looks pretty good.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 11:59am
I always clean my pads by hand with a mild soap and warm water. I dry them with the buffer. Dont store them wet.

Ive heard of a few people getting discoloration at the waterline on certain lakes- probably due to the mineral content cf the water. I always wax and have never had a problem- its the only thing protecting the gel from UV. Collinite 925 has held up very well for me, and gives a great shine. I think you can get it at NAPA now.
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 3:01am
Any tips on cleaning wool polishing pads? I think I've gotten as far as I can with a spur. Clean by hand, or will it hold up if you throw it in the washer?

Also, any recommendations on wax once I'm done polishing? I seem to remember a post recommending not to wax the sides of the boat - something about discoloration. Is that mostly due to how polluted the lake is?
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 2:38am
Finally started work. Pictures are terrible, but you can see the condition of the gel. Thanks for the advice here and to TRBenj earlier this year for the compound/pad recommendations. I'm most of the way done now with the heavy duty compound and the results are better than I expected. I'm surprised to see how touch the gel is - I've been laying into it pretty agressively. In the pictures, it's pretty obvious where the old pinstriping was. I've been able to get back most of the original color with the blue. The grey is still somewhat yellowed, but overall, looks much better. Anxious to see what the end result will be once I get past the second and third passes with the polisher.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Our guys do this professionally and they tend to use the.... they are green in color...im having a mind block, for some reason mitsubishi keeps popping in the head and i know they are not mitsubishi's, bosch maybe?
first the eyes now the memory. they also use a white paste instead of the tan stuff and they swear by it and also use wool pads, keep in mind these guy's do this everyday for a living and dont want to work any harder then they have too.

Aren't Hitachi tools green, I went the way of the wise one and bought a Milwaukee.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 11:40am
Our guys do this professionally and they tend to use the.... they are green in color...im having a mind block, for some reason mitsubishi keeps popping in the head and i know they are not mitsubishi's, bosch maybe?
first the eyes now the memory. they also use a white paste instead of the tan stuff and they swear by it and also use wool pads, keep in mind these guy's do this everyday for a living and dont want to work any harder then they have too.
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 2:29pm
I buff out lots of varnish so I decided to go all the way with a Milwaukee buffer and I have several 3M 2+2 pads. The spar varnish is not very forgiving.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 1:08pm
Smart Shopper

This is a link that TRBenj provided in a previous post about polishing gelcoat. I took his advice and bought my 3M products here and also bought thier cheap buffer. It works great for the occational use I give it.

ATD #10511 7" Electric Polisher $59.95 It's variable speed also.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Aemmer Aemmer wrote:

I would like to buy a buffer (or put in a request from Santa)this winter. Any suggestions on brand/model to buy.
Thanks,
T

I bought one a year and half ago, and decided to go with a serious rotary just for the boat. I bought a Dewalt 849- everything I read indicated that its built like a tank and will last forever. Its a little heavier than some other models and its not cheap (~$200), but I felt that it was worth it. If youre looking for a cheap unit, Ive heard Harbor Freight has some models for under $50.

If you want something thats safer to use on a car, consider going with a random orbital. Automotive paint isnt as thick or hard as gelcoat and the rotary might burn the finish in the hands of an inexperienced user (like me). I bought a Porter-Cable 7336 (same as the 7224) for the car. I got the same size hook&loop (velcro) backing pad for it so I can use the same pads for both.
Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 11:42pm
I would like to buy a buffer (or put in a request from Santa)this winter. Any suggestions on brand/model to buy.
Thanks,
T
88 2001
Angolafw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angolafw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 1:18pm
TR- On the contrair,.. I highly recommend wet sanding/buffing. I was meerly pointing out the facts. Once you sand/and or buff gel, it opens up the poors of the gel, thats all. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone. I just thought I would give my two-cents worth on this discussion. Everyone has a different way of working on fiberglass/gel coat. When I restore a boat for a customer, that doesn't mean that my way is the only way to do it. I've been doing fiberglass work for over 27 years, and it would be silly for me to think I know it all, I don't, and always welcome different methods/ideas. Not only from factory reps, but individual do-it-yourselfers also.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 2:56am
[QUOTE=TRBenj] Im just a first-timer hack.

Not sure that to many guys on here would agree with your self description Tim.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Angolafw Angolafw wrote:

Right,.. you can get back to the original color and get rid of the yellowing by wet sanding and buffing. But once you start buffing, there's no turning back. Even on a new boat, once you comprimise the original luster, it will never be quite the same. The sun will work on that repaired or just buffed spot more than if it wasn't buffed.

Im still not comprehending...

"No turning back." Huh? Are you suggesting that its better to leave a chalky, oxidized gelcoat as-is rather than repair it? Obviously once you wet sand the gel coat, you reduce its thickness. Youre removing the bad gel so you can see the good stuff underneath.

I dont understand what you mean by the sun "working harder on that buffed spot" either. I just dont see how the sun would give a sh*t whether my boat was buffed to a shine or not! Regardless of the condition of the gel and whether its been wetsanded at all, it needs to be adequately shielded from the sun (waxed, covered, etc) to keep it from deteriorating.

If you do a good job restoring the gel, it can look as good as it did from the factory. After restoring the deck on my 17 year old boat, I had my dad wanting me to do his 4 year old boat next- and his has always been waxed and covered and could nearly pass for new- and Im just a first-timer hack. Im confused why you would want to discourage someone from tackling such a project. Its not very difficult if you do your homework.
Angolafw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angolafw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 11:21pm
Right,.. you can get back to the original color and get rid of the yellowing by wet sanding and buffing. But once you start buffing, there's no turning back. Even on a new boat, once you comprimise the original luster, it will never be quite the same. The sun will work on that repaired or just buffed spot more than if it wasn't buffed.
Sorry, this is just getting too involved. It's just that I have worked on hundreds of boats and we could nit-pick this topic to death. It sometimes comes down to the type of buffer,type of compound, and the skill level of the operator. I think the key is just take your time buffing and don't be affraid to lean into the buffer. IF you do burn it, all you need to do is wet sand the burnt area and buff.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Angolafw Angolafw wrote:

If you have a buffer with a speed selector,keep it fairly slow for gel coat that is very oxidized. As the shine comes back in your buffing stages, increase the speed of the buffer, that will increase your luster.Just remember,once the gel coat gets oxidized, it will never get back to original without re-gel coating or clear coating.

Not sure if I agree with that. While I certainly recommend keeping the buffer speeds slower when first starting out, Im not sure it will remove oxidation more effectively. The faster the speed, the more heat it generates, which should cut the gel faster.

Also, if the oxidation doesnt extend all the way through the gel, then you can certainly bring back the color and shine without regelcoating the boat. Ive seen many boats restored to like-new. My top deck was significantly yellowed from the sun, and I was able to bring the color all the way back to match what was underneath this original sticker:

Angolafw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angolafw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 10:38pm
Dont' worry too much about the graphics. You can buff them, just don't press too hard. If you are using an aggressive compound, just take it easy. We always buff the decals before any boat leaves our shop. A little advice, after using an aggressive compound, wipe area with cloth, then use a less gritty compound, like the polish for clear coat paint. That makes the shine pop! If you have a buffer with a speed selector,keep it fairly slow for gel coat that is very oxidized. As the shine comes back in your buffing stages, increase the speed of the buffer, that will increase your luster.Just remember,once the gel coat gets oxidized, it will never get back to original without re-gel coating or clear coating.
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 12:08am
Thanks - appreciate the replies. I'll get into it and see how it goes.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 12:06pm
No need for additional pressure. Let the pad and material do the work. Id say move the pad about 1-2 ft/sec. Concentrate on a relatively small area at a time- maybe 2'x2'. It helps to spread the material with the pad over the area youre working before turning the buffer on- this will help avoid slinging it everywhere. Keep working the same area until the material is pretty much used up. Follow the RPM setting recommended on the bottle of each material.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 11:25am
Dan, I think it is more of a acquired "feel" that you will need to get from just going at it and starting to buff. It is very hard to describe in words.
Fiberglass is pretty hard to "burn" so don't worry about that
I mask around graphics with blue painters tape. It doesn't need to be exactly on the edge if the gel isn't that faded, just so the tape covers up the graphics.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 2:07am
Finally getting around to the project that I didn't start in the spring...

I'd appreciate any advice regarding the basics of polishing (high-speed rotary):

- how large of a section at a time?
- best way to apply compound/polish?
- motion/how fast do you need to move to avoid burning the gelcoat?
- how much pressure?
- how many passes/how long for the compound to break down?

Also - any advice on taping off/protecting graphics?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic