NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop shaft removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
ethyl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ethyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop shaft removal
    Posted: May-05-2008 at 5:09pm
I have checked the forums but have some questions. My 65 Am.Skier needs new packing and a new piece of hose between the shaft log and stuffing box. I removed coupling bolts and set screws but can't get the coupling apart. Do I need to heat the flange? Also the shaft is not cenered in the log but seems to turn ok. Should the shaft be centered in the log? What sort of hose should be used between log and box? Thanks in advance for any help. John.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 5:23pm
Eric uses a Really Big Hammer and a Cold Chisel.........No dont do that .....
Just pulling Erics Chain.....TUG TUG ,,,,,,,,

Boat dr
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 6:28pm
John,
I made a puller from a piece of flat bar stock.Roughly 1/2 inch thick by 1-1/2 wide by about 8 inches long. Drill two holes that line up with two opposing holes in the flange. These holes should be to the end of the 8 inch dimension. Drill and tap a third hole in the center of the other two. This should be a fine thread like 1/2-20. Bolt the bar to the coupling and run the center bolt in against the shaft, using the the offset end of the 8"dimension as a lever that you can get a wrench on or block it to the hull. If you block it to the hull, put a good sized chunk of 2X6 under it so you spread the load.
I can't help with your other questions.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by SUNAPEE CROW SUNAPEE CROW wrote:

John,
I made a puller from a piece of flat bar stock.Roughly 1/2 inch thick by 1-1/2 wide by about 8 inches long. Drill two holes that line up with two opposing holes in the flange. These holes should be to the end of the 8 inch dimension. Drill and tap a third hole in the center of the other two. This should be a fine thread like 1/2-20. Bolt the bar to the coupling and run the center bolt in against the shaft, using the the offset end of the 8"dimension as a lever that you can get a wrench on or block it to the hull. If you block it to the hull, put a good sized chunk of 2X6 under it so you spread the load.

That's a good idea. Probably a lot easier on the coupling than the bolt and socket method.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

John,

That's a good idea. Probably a lot easier on the coupling than the bolt and socket method.

I'm going to disagree on this. I do not feel that only using 2 of the 4 holes on the flange is the way to go. Too much pressure and your chances of bending the flange are twice as likely.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 8:14pm
Pete, wouldn't the 8" of steel stabilize the flange? I'm surprised no one's ever made a decent tool for pressing the shaft out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 10:13pm

Pete, wouldn't the 8" of steel stabilize the flange? I'm surprised no one's ever made a decent tool for pressing the shaft out.

Bruce, No - the 1/2" by 8" steel is only bolted on in 2 spots and pulling on the coupling on those two spots.

Here's you puller: coupling puller

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 10:50pm
Gotta agree with Pete, Sometimes The Easier Way Is Simply WRONG.........Boat dr
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 10:58pm
That coupling puller is the ticket.

Boat dr, that engine stand is too short. So on with my plan to build a stand. I did buy an engine leveler today to hook to my come along. One of the lifting rings is right next tot he carberator. I'm hoping I don;t have to remove it when I haul the engine.
ethyl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ethyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 2:17am
Thanks for replies. if I can get the coupler parts apart I will try these methods to extract the shaft. Now how do I get the two parts of the coupler apart???Thanks.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 2:58am
I used a 2" chissel and a hammer and gently tapped it, rotating the shaft and it eventualy split, but Boat Dr implied that's not the best way. Your thread is back on track, maybe someone chime in with a better way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 2:59am
I am going to pleasantly disagree with Pete on the Buck Algonquin tool being the best answer! There is no provision to prevent rotation of the shaft/puller while you tighten the center bolt short of using a pipe wrench or some other elaborate appendage that could bolt to the coupler and prevent it from rotating. Also, keep in mind that the Buck Algonquin is CAST IRON! The puller itself needs the four point attachment to keep from fracturing. In my approach , the bar stock is snugged up with two 3/8" bolts across the face of the coupler and there is very little probability that you will distort the coupler. Every one that I have ever worked with has been steel and not cast iron.
Additionally, if the puller I describe won't do the job without a whole lot of effort, you have a bigger problem like a twisted or rolled key. Keep in mind that these fits were intended to be about a .002" press fit. Nuff said... it worked great and it cost NOTHING!
I'll bet the Algonquin cost four 30 packs ($65.00)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 8:44am
Rick, I never endorsed the Buck Algonquin puller. Bruce asked if one was made and I provided a link.

With your long bar method, you do have the advantage of stopping the rotation from wrenching on the center bolt.

Sounds like you don't like cast iron!! It's yield strength exceeds all hot rolled steels and is roughly the same as most cold rolled. Are you sure that the designers of the puller put 4 attachment points on it to keep it from breaking?

I also never said your method wouldn't work. What I did say is pulling on only 2 points the chances of distorting the coupling are greater. I'd rather pull on 4 points and not worry about calculating out the stress's of snugging up a flat bar to the face to overcome pulling on 2 points.

Eric chucks up the shaft with the coupling and trues up the face. (I sometimes feel he does this because he gets rough with the removal!!!!) It's not a bad idea especially on a new coupling because you never know how true the bore is to the face. I have done it but only after setting up the shaft/coupling in V blocks and running the dial indicator on the face to see how true it runs. Did you check yours?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 10:21am
Pete i do it because of others, im doing a pair off of some 1.5's and the guy beat the hell out of them, i ask what happened and of course he blamed it on someone else, the couplings were still attached to the transmissions and the shafts were pulled out.....slide hammer maybe?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 10:24am
What's the best way to get the flanges apart if they are stuck?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 11:12am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

slide hammer maybe?

Very interesting!! I was just talking about the use of a slide hammer with someone yesterday. My comment was that if the shaft and coupling are a good interference fit I really didn't feel a slide hammer would do it. You need the constant and heavy pull of a puller or the bolts. Comments Eric?

So, You have never gotten mad at a problem coupling and hammered on it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 11:14am

What's the best way to get the flanges apart if they are stuck?

Bruce, A chisel and hammer just like you did it. If you nick the face a little, a couple of strokes with a flat file will clean it up.

Edit: A old wood chisel works well because it is ground to the fine edge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:10pm
never ever Pete, even on big 12 inchers, I'll cinch a come along around the shaft and grab something on the back of the boat and come along it, the only thing i will ever use a slide hammer for is to remove gimble bearings and ocasionally a case bearing. other than that it hangs on the wall. i have a ground heavy putty knife to seperate the halves and a very small hammer. i can use a hammer cause i also can clean the coupling too. lol

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:11pm
yes a wood chisel does work well, but dont let Greg know that
ethyl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ethyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 11:11pm
Sounds like you guys have tried everything! I really thank you for the ideas and hope one of them works. These boats are so cool and I would hate to see mine sink due to a foolish mistake on my part. Thanks again.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 11:46pm
If you can seperate the coupling from the flange, try the socket and bolts method- think of it as a psuedo press.
-Brad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 11:58pm
I almost hate to volunteer how I got mine apart the first time but here we go. Pull the prop, pull the rudder, make a plate that you can get onto the taper of the prop shaft and run a sacrificial nut onto the shaft to hold the plate on the shaft. I have a slide hammer that as best I know was made to pull rear axles from '55-'57 Chevys. You will have to drill a couple of holes in the plate to match the puller. Hook them together and hammer away. It took two blows ! Everything was free and no HAMMER marks. By the way, if you own an inboard and don't have a prop puller, go buy one or make sure that you have a friend that owns one. I can only anticipate that ther will be several comments that I took the long way around... but the rudder needed to be repacked anyway!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 12:14am
slide hammers are a gray area, in the wrong hands they can be deadly... i plead the 5th from here on out.
I will eventually take a picture of a PCM 1.23 and post it, it is a great example of what can happen to one of these transmissions with a slide hammer in the wrong hands, the back end is broken off from the main case because the guy was using a slide hammer to get the shaft out of the coupling
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 7:43am

Keep in mind that these fits were intended to be about a .002" press fit.

Rick, If you were able to use a slide hammer, then I will say that the coupling was fretted due to bad alignment. Just as Eric has stated, it's not the recommened proceedure.

If somehow you got a .002" (.0005" is enough) interference, with the through bore surface area of the coupling, you will rip the threads off the tail end of the prop shaft before the coupling comes off using the slide hammer. I don't feel you would even get that coupling on the shaft with the .002" under. With heat and dry ice you will not get enough expansion/contraction. With a press, you will shear the fit. A couple weeks ago, I was down in the tool room and saw what happened when one of our less experienced tool makers tried to press a 3/4" dowel pin into a die block that he had reamed .002" under. Not good!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 10:21am
heat smear Pete?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 11:02am
Was the original point of the slide hammer to just separate the 2 unbolted flanges, held together by a lttle rust? no one would try to pull the shaft out of it's respective coupler using a slide hammer, would they?

I had just cut my shaft in half to get it out. Was going to use the coupler over again - but couldn't get a gear puller to reach the hub (didn't want to use the flange for pulling nor could find a shop that would press it for me). So I iced, heat & beat until one angry hammer blow came down & smashed the pilot. Next AM I called General Prop & ordered a new coupler that they reamed to fit my new shaft. It went back together very easily.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 11:44am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

heat smear Pete?

Eric, In the case of our tool maker pressing the dowel in, it split 15K worth of die block. Hard pressed into hard there is no place for the materal to go. With a soft material being pressed together, yes, it will shear the fit. (it also blows any trueness of the coupling face to the shaft) With a .0005" shrink to fit, there isn't any shearing.

Chris, The slide hammer was used to pull the coupling and not just separate the coupling halves. With a known bad shaft, cutting it like you did sure saves some time and frustration. When you ordered your new coupling, did the fit come up?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 10:11pm
Yes,I used the slide hammer to separate the two halves of the coupler. The puller I described was used to get the coupler off the shaft. Pete, you are right about the fit. I should have used the phrase interference fit and I was too lazy to pull out my Machinery Handbook. Eric, any tool in the wrong hands can be disasterous but you would have to have a really big slide to pull off the back of a transmission. Although I can see that if you are trying to pull a gnarled shaft out of the coupling it might happen. In order to use a come along, to what and how would you hook it up in a ski boat? Please keep responding as am finding what I thought were proven methods can be improved. I already have the stock to make a Buck Algonquin version with a handle.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 10:25pm
Pete - I had ordered the shaft by itself thinking I could reuse the coupler - this was against Boat Dr's advice BTW. (I'm cheap)

My coupler was so stuck to the shaft that it certainly would have distorted the flange using the 4 bolt method. I only moved it 1/8 inch with all my swearing.

General Prop aims to please so they had sold me the shaft alone. When I called back to order the coupler they recommended I find someone to ream the coupler to fit. It was only $17 to ship the shaft back to them & at that point in my frustration I thought it was well worth the shipping it to have them take care of this, as they do this everyday.

Just another example of knowing when to let a professional take care of something.

For installation I heated the new coupler up on the barbie & it slid right on.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 11:35pm
Rick, Sorry I thought you pulled the shaft out of the coupling with the slide hammer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic