NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop puller?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop puller?
    Posted: March-15-2004 at 3:41pm
Do I have to buy a "prop puller" to swap props? I removed the nut and tryed gently tapping on the hub, but it won't move. Is there an "easy way"?
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2004 at 8:19pm
You need to have a pulled otherwise you will damage your shaft. I just bought one off Ebay for $50.00 shipped. The guy was really nice and shipped it fast. I think he makes them or something so it was cheaper. I popped my prop off no problem. If you need some to fix your prop, check this guy out.. He is awesome, very straight forward guy. He take any prop you have and change the pitch of it.

http://www.marinepropellers.com/

Tommer
84' Nautique 2001
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2004 at 2:29am
Sometimes, if you use a board ,2-3 C clamps and some imagination the prop will come off. Extra hands are good for this.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2004 at 2:40am
for those of you that have never pulled a prop, be sure to just loosen the nut ONLY a couple turns. it can be pretty violent when they come off.

follow the proper procedure on the re-install to make sure the prop is seated.

tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2004 at 2:43am
reinstall procedure? I thought you just had to push the prop back on and it should seat itself.. (when lined up correctly) is there something special to mount it back on?

thanks!
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2004 at 3:28am
I know this is going to sound crazy but remember to lightly grease the shaft before you put the prop back on. This will make it alot easier to pull next time.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2004 at 11:36am
put the prop on without the key first and tighten. mark the shaft at the strut side of the prop with a felt tip pen.

remove the prop and re-intall with the key. make sure the prop bottoms out and is flush with your previous mark.

the fit with the key is tight tolerance fit and sometimes tightening the nut will not bottom the prop on the taper.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2004 at 8:31pm
Thanks for all the great advice.

Any recommended nut-torque for the re-install?
Nauti Girl
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2004 at 8:35pm
actually, I dont think you have to torque the nut because it is brass and it also has a key that needs to be re-installed. Make sure you have new cotter key or if your cotter key looks good, reuse it.... but I have seen keys fall off from rust, etc. (unless you have stainless cotter key)

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2004 at 12:59am
There are no formal Torque specs. I agree with Toomer12 Tighten untol the prop reaches the mark you made without the key Then align the nut so you can get the cotter key in. Repplace the coter pin each time you replace the prop. Use a stainless pin. Why lose a $300 prop to save $2 on a pin.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2004 at 1:42pm
i use a nylon lock nut and no key on the '72.

double nut with a cotter on the '60.

the prop on the '69 will bend the stainless ironmann puller.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2004 at 4:45pm
I borrowed a BIG 3-prong gear puller from the "loan-a-tool" at the local cheap parts store we all hate. It worked GREAT!
Nauti Girl
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2004 at 2:38pm
a three pronger got a little to close to the blades for my liking, but i guess it depends on the prop. are you going to get a new one or get yours fixed?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2004 at 4:37pm
I sent my 12X15RH1.0 to O.J. for repair with instructions for them to call me before they begin. Since I am turning that prop over 5200 RPM, I have some doubt that it is ACTUALLY 15 pitch. I have been advised that my 351 Commander 4V should not be able to turn that prop that fast, so it might have been re-pitched lower (or maybe my engine has more-than-stock power?).

I would also like to buy a new (re-conditioned) prop of the original size, but at this point, I'm not sure what the original size is.

I called Southeast CC, and asked them what the original size was They were really nice, but they seemed to be guessing - by the time I got off the phone they must have told me 3 or 4 different sizes that it could have been
Nauti Girl
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2004 at 7:35pm
see if your transmision has an id plate. if you have a 1:1 go with woodys recomendation of a 13x13. if you have a reduction tranny 1.23:1, the prop your turning sounds about right. have oj add some cup if it checks out if you want to get the rpm's down.

you might compare your tach to a dwell meter with a high rpm scale. it might be off a tad. my old teleflex petered out at 3k, but yours might be set on 6 cylinder or something.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2004 at 11:53am
I DO have a 1:1.

I have sent in the prop sizing inquiry form to Michagan Wheel. I'm waiting for their reply.
Nauti Girl
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2004 at 4:54pm
here is the test to see what pitch you need.. if I got this right.....

You should be able to near redline on your boat when it is wide open. If you can not, that means your pitch is off. Not all boats should have the factory pitch.. for instance 13x13... it may be after loading it down with 1000 lbs of weight 13x14 or something like that.... I do not completely understand it, but there is a huge impact on what your pitch should be after you weight the boat down. I posted a guys name that explained it to me earlier... Scott can go more into detail and actually adjust your prop for proper load, etc.   
Ken-Aus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Aus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2004 at 9:38am
I have always been told to use a brass key at the prop end and a s/s key at the coupling end. This is to ensure that if something does go wrong you can shear the key.
1987SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 8:07pm
I made a high quality prop puller, similar to the commercial models, for about $25.00 and two hours of my time. Start with a 4" C-Clamp. Cut off the screw and the stop (the screw on a standard 4" clamp is not strong enough). For the stop, I used a 1" steel pipe cap from the plumbing isle ($0.95). Cut the cap about a 45 deg angle and grind out the radius. Weld that to the back of the clamp. I welded a 5/8" threaded rod adapter onto the opposite side. Use a 4" long 5/8" threaded bolt and you are in business. I welded a nut on the inside of the bolt and left a gap to cap the end of the drive shaft.
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 10:55pm
I've been reading all the posts for pulling a prop - potentially a pain, but seems straight forward. How difficult/what's involved in reinstalling the prop with the key? Thanks
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 8:39am
1987 please send us a photo of your fabricated (homemade) puller, would be of great intrest to those that won't spend the money but want the tool..........boat dr
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 10:45am

Looking from left to right: The end of the puller that "pulls" against the back of the prop is made from a 1" steel pipe cap. I ground a flat edge and welded it to the end of the cut down clamp. Then I cut out the cap so it would fit on the shaft between the prop and strut. I welded a 5/8" threaded adapter to the other end. You could weld two or three nuts together instead if you wanted. (be sure to put the bolt in first to keep them aligned). Use a 4" long 5/8" bolt. I put a nut on the inside of the clamp and left several threads open, then welded it to the bolt. That allows the nut to "wrap" around the end of the shaft so it will not slip off. I filleted all of the welds, buffed, and painted it. Workds great. All together cost less than $25.00.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 11:07am

Here is another angle of the prop puller. Better explains how I cut out the pipe cap. Hope this helps.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 12:04pm
thanx mucho for pix and info,anything to do with boats is too cool. just could not envision how to build one out of common stuff in my shop...........boat dr
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 4:27pm
very Mcguyver, nice piece of work.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 4:40pm
Is it thin enough to work on 4 blades?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 7:32pm
I tested it on both 3 and 4 blade props and it works just fine. I was wrong about the price. I built another one for my buddy and it costs less than $15.00.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 10:45pm
If you built for your bud, how about some of mech-challenged guys?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 2:06pm
jbear,

Any skier is a friend of mine, especially a Nautique enthusiast. You can email me at the link below:

I have learned (after building quite a few of these dumb things, recently) that many "C" clamps are not strong enough to withstand the force of pulling a prop. I have switched to using 1/4" solid steel instead of a "C" clamp (although there are some strong "C" clamps that do work). Something else I found out is that the angle of the bolt in relationship to the end of the puller is critical. If it is out of tolerance, the puller does not work.

I still believe, if you have some welding skills and a few hours to spare, you can make a quality puller for less than $15.00.

Ski well.

contact me1987 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 10:38pm
This is my homemade puller I made about 15 years ago after I had a problem with the "C" clamp style having too much spring in it. I do have a 4th bolt and the plates are drilled and tapped for it to be used with a 4 blade. It was up north and I just remembered to bring it home.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic