NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

primer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 8>
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 11:56am
yes they are. It's an 82 2001. Love the boat. I'll search for a picture of it.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 12:04pm
Not one of the better pic's, but it works.

I want the Mustang to match the middle red on the stripe and white.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 12:10pm
that should be easy to do, did you decide on paint yet? was that you i talked to last year about the wolmanized wood somebody repaired your boat with? im trying to put a voice to the face
"the things you own will start to own you"
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 12:14pm
Michelle,

Good looking rig (well and the 82').. You have two ways to go with refinishing.
1. Patch and paint, which may or may not last and be resistant to punishment..
And
2. Re-Gel which you'll have to remove what's on the boat now (bringing it down to glass) and spray the new hardcoat.

Re-gelling will basically give you a completely new, durable surface, as if you left the yellow in tact.. It's more time consuming in the prep and more expensive as a finish, but it's the ultimate way to go..

If you're going to paint, then each and every crack needs to be routed out, and filled. Paint will not mask the cracks..

I have a 76 and 77' CC's and neither one had a blister anywhere.. Boats hulls are just like that.. Best of luck with whatever you decide..

Moj'

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 12:14pm
No, not I. But when searching for stringer wood for the Mustang, one of our local boat shops suggested wolmanized. I even knew better. Maybe that's the reason I ask for all opinions and advice. It's easier to sort through everything and make choices rather than listen to 1 voice.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 12:22pm
[QUOTE=Mojo] And
2. Re-Gel which you'll have to remove what's on the boat now (bringing it down to glass) and spray the new hardcoat.

Moj',
Why can't you re-gel over existing gel? Because of adhesion?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

[QUOTE=Mojo] And

Moj',
Why can't you re-gel over existing gel? Because of adhesion?

Michelle,
The way Dave worded the statement is confusing. No the gel doesn't need to come off the existing. BUT if the prep work is extensive (lots of blistering cracking) then it's easier to remove all of the bad original gel. Routing, filling and sanding is the same as paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Michelle,
The way Dave worded the statement is confusing. No the gel doesn't need to come off the existing. BUT if the prep work is extensive then it's easier to remove all of the bad original gel. Routing, filling and sanding is the same as paint.

Yeah, what he said...
Pete, at what extent do need to prep the old Gel for good adhesion for new Gel ?

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 1:02pm
ok. Thanks for explaining that. I went over the Mustang last night with a careful eye. There are no cracks, just blisters. I can tell you that I am now leaning more towards the gel. I'm pretty good at painting, but have never had the opportunity or desire to work with gel coat until now. My friend has all of the tools I can utilize,as he owns a body repair shop, but he doesn't have experience with gel coat either.

I will await your answer to Moj's question and will head in that direction.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Michelle,
The way Dave worded the statement is confusing. No the gel doesn't need to come off the existing. BUT if the prep work is extensive then it's easier to remove all of the bad original gel. Routing, filling and sanding is the same as paint.

Yeah, what he said...
Pete, at what extent do need to prep the old Gel for good adhesion for new Gel ?

Dave,
If you have thousands of blisters/cracking/checking then is easier and takes less man hours to just remove all the old gel and then level/fair the hull. Gary's (farmer) boat is a good example. His was so bad that he removed all the gel. Remember he even made the removal tool out of a 4" right angle grinder. I'm going to have to do a search for that thread.

If you only have a few bad spots (let's say around 100) then routing and filling the spots isn't going to take that long.

BTW, this prep work is the same for gel or paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 1:43pm
I found Gary's thread but the pictures have been removed.
paint shaver pro

Gary,
Can you find your blister pictures again?

BTW, regarding the pictures - I found out the hard way one day when I was "cleaning" out my photobucket account that when you delete pictures they no longer come up here on the site. Being the computer geek I am, I never realized that photobucket posts are actually links to the pictures!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 2:07pm
Pete, I read through the thread.

Wow, you guys are pretty much split regarding painting or re-gel. Maybe I better wait till I make my repairs before I decide.

Eric, if it weren't for the expense of re-gel, do you think you would choose that over paint?

Since we have no boat (body) repair shops in Beaver County, by the time I learn and complete my project, I'll be able to take others on as a side job.

Seems silly, but one of my main concerns is adhesion. When I think paint - oil and latex do not mix well. If you cut a piece of wood it would be silly to repair it with plastic.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 2:32pm
thats a loaded question, if i have a guy with a ton of money and he said spare no expense,i would gel it. i would estimate it at twice the normal paint job because it is labor intensive. I would go to town with a big smile.
its not a hobby for me so my opinion is not very valid in this situation. as I said earlier Ive painted boats 10 years ago and they still look good to this day with single stage paints such as acrylic urethanes and so on, even with bc/cc its a good durable looking paint job, but with bc/cc you dont leave the boat in the water and you take care of it, you wipe it down when your down, you wax regularly....there is alot of variables
its up to you and your budget.
make a list of what your intentions are with the boat and then decide, include is it going to be a boat for show or is it going to be a boat that you use all the time and so on, weather is also a factor, how much you use the boat is a factor
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 2:34pm
that picture didnt last long, what happened?
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 2:36pm

I had a nice long talk with him (as it's not a "her" Mustang) and he and I are both very happy with the color change decision. I am going to reverse the colors of the Nautique for the Mustang.
Chelle'

AH-OH, Are you seeing colors? Is the boat taking back? check for open paint or solvent cans in the garage. Get some air circulating in there..
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 2:36pm
LOL...I went back to a burly, flannel boat lover.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 2:38pm
While you do not need to go down to the bare glass before re-geling I think it would be better to do so. Adhesion of the new gel coat would be as good either way assuming similar surface prep, and better than even the best paints discussed above. However gel coat is essentially uv stable colored polyester resin. Poly resin with no reinforcing fibers is brittle. The thicker that gel is the more apt to develop stress cracks. Removing as much of the old gel as possible will allow you to get a good thickness of new gel down without worrying about it. Thats the way the logic has always played in my mind anyway..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 2:39pm
And there's my good ol' buddy skinaut.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 2:57pm
worried about you girl, talking to 'things', spending the nights in the garage, posting pictures of yourself on the internet. Dont make me come up there....
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 3:07pm
ROFL...I removed the picture. I thought "Oh no, Lee will be on here and he will reprimand me"

When you're in a garage working on your boat all by yourself, you would be amazed how you start talking to yourself.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 3:10pm
Michelle,
I'd like to add that re gelcoating is relatively new (within the last 10 years or so) and there are lots of people out there still not familiar with the process. However, it's no different than spraying a heavy viscosity two component paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 3:28pm
No reprimand, just careful. you could draw some stalkers. I know all about talking to yourself, remember I live alone, I have 2 boats, 2 bikes, an old car and a truck to work on.

They say talking to yourself could be a sign of mental illness............you know me

skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 3:39pm
I like the old original colors. It just adds to the antique feel of the boat. I know it takes some getting used too but it grows on you. Look at both of my hulls= harvest gold? and gray on the ski. I really like them now, and it makes the boat stand out as something special. And will even raise the value of the boat to a collector. But a reverse version of JB's boat would be cool too. I guess you just have to go with what you really want. If it's in the budget and you find someone that can do it right, gell is the way to go.$$$
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 3:52pm
Hey Skinaut,
Cool old Centurion.. What's the scoop with her? V-drive.. Lets see some pics...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Hey Skinaut,
Cool old Centurion.. What's the scoop with her? V-drive.. Lets see some pics...

Moj'

yeah, sb chevy v-drive. I will start a new thread and post some picks of her when I got some more time. dont want to hijack sanitys thread
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 4:14pm
[QUOTE=skinaut] I like the old original colors. It just adds to the antique feel of the boat.

For as much as I love antiques and old "things", you would think that I would be set on keeping the original color.

Yours is different. The colors (plural)look great on the boat.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 4:16pm
Go ahead, Lee. Post away. I would like to see it again myself.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 4:22pm

[QUOTE=skinaut] I like the old original colors. It just adds to the antique feel of the boat.

For as much as I love antiques and old "things", you would think that I would be set on keeping the original color.

Yours is different. The colors (plural)look great on the boat.

It was different alright, I think the white diamond interior just really set it off. It feels like your driving an old chevelle or 442 olds.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 4:32pm
I need to start a few threads anyway, I owe Kevin some pics of the folding tongue job on the cc trailer. Just not enough time in a day. I will get around to it. Need to run for now, its in the upper 70's today so I will run errands on the hog.....in a tee-shirt..Ha!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 4:39pm
Rub it in Lee. The fatboy sits in the garage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 8>
  Share Topic