Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4160 carb??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 8:53pm
Actually you are wrong.Mine is uglier That is the best news I have had all day! I have been waiting for almost 2 weeks and when I got it and cleaned the numbers I was pretty bummed! This thing looks and feels like it was outside a bit but I will clean and rebuild and see what happens.At least I have the pcm rebuild kit for it already.Thanks for the good news!
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 9:24pm
Ok I installed the ebay carb today(before the rebuild) just to see what happens.I had to buy a new inlet nipple with a 45 degree bend so it would clear the intake,no problem.It ran pretty crappy but I expected that.I just wanted to hear the old girl come to life again. My question is about the electric choke.I see from pbrainards wiring diagram that the positive goes to that block on front of the motor where the alt. exciter wire goes.no prob. and the ground goes to the intake ground lug.Can someone please tell me do these chokes close when powered and open with the airflow? It looks as if mine is not working and I will need to fix when I rebuild the carb.Does anyone happen to have the part number for a holley electric choke rebuild?T
kevinindy
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 9:51pm
On the wiring diagram that I created, its a schematic. It shows the electrical connections- you can make the physical connections wherever its convenient.

The choke works with temperature. Its closed when cold and open when warm.
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 11:45pm
trbenji another question.When I was wiring the choke I found a cut wire in the wiring bundle.When I put 12volts to this wire it sounded the warning buzzer under the dash.Does this hook up to the temp and oil sending units or just the temp?? The guages are still hooked up and working they apparently just unhooked the buzzer.Thanks again!
kevinindy
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 10:16am
Kevin,
Here's the wiring diagram from the early PCM manual. Basically it's the same as the one Tim drew up but there may be some more details. A warning buzzer (did you actually find a buzzer?) would have been a add on by a PO in a 74. Sounds like you may want to consider re wiring the whole boat and I even think I recommended it before!!

The choke: Quite honestly I don't know how it works exactly! Internally there is a bimetallic spring (coil) that gets power from the ignition circuit. I've never really investigated why it will open up the choke butterfly as the engine warms up. I'm sure someone will chime in and explain it. Doc? I'd like to know too! Skidim does have the coil assemblies for about $35 if you need one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I've never really investigated why it will open up the choke butterfly as the engine warms up. I'm sure someone will chime in and explain it.

The choke opening is not dependent on engine temperature with this system. It is just a matter of the time power is run through the choke coil (more time = more heat).   As an example, if you key the ignition up without even starting the engine, the choke will slowly begin to open after 30 seconds or so.... the length of time required to open the choke can be adjusted by turning the choke coil housing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I've never really investigated why it will open up the choke butterfly as the engine warms up. I'm sure someone will chime in and explain it.

The choke opening is not dependent on engine temperature with this system. It is just a matter of the time power is run through the choke coil (more time = more heat).   As an example, if you key the ignition up without even starting the engine, the choke will slowly begin to open after 30 seconds or so.... the length of time required to open the choke can be adjusted by turning the choke coil housing.

Thanks Mark! Well that sure is simple and logical!! Now I know.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 11:24pm
Thanks from me too Mark!Now I know what to look for.pbrainard are you sure that none of these came with a buzzer? This thing does look stock.Or at least it looks as old as everything else I know that it is pretty darn loud! If I knew how to post pics on here I would to show you guys. I think that you are right and it was added for some reason but I will not hook back up if not stock! If anyone has any good tips for rebuilding these carbs I am all ears! I know to make sure it is straight and clean but I have not rebuilt a 4 barrel in at lest 15 years. I am sure that it will be good but if anyone has any tips I will be happy to listen! Thanks
kevinindy
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 11:46pm

Kevin,

I bought one of these from summit

#HLY-45-258
Holley Replacement Choke Caps
Choke Cap, with Gasket, Holley, 2300/ 4150/ 4160/ 4010/ 4011, Each $23.95

Works great.

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 7:40am
Kevin,
Now you have got me curious about the buzzer! The wire you found that was cut, one end goes to the buzzer, where does the other end go (the means of switching the power on)?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 10:04am
alot of times they will go to the trans temp sending unit which normally has 215 degrees stamped on the side of the sending unit
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 10:47am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

alot of times they will go to the trans temp sending unit which normally has 215 degrees stamped on the side of the sending unit

Eric, I've never seen a trans temp/warning buzzer on a 70's boat. Do you think like I do that a PO may have added it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 10:13am
i think if he added it, it would of been operational...what else could it of been from? I dont know, your right though, too early of a boat to have one
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 11:04am
Eric,
I really don't know what else!!! The only thing I remember in the pre early 70's boats were the combustable gas detectors before the advent of the bilge blowers. They always had a small control panel mounted in or under the dash. Of course we don't know if it's really a buzzer yet ether!

Kevin,
You've got to figure out how and post a picture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 11:29pm
ok I found these directions for rebuilding and tuning a 4160 if anyone else needs.4160 rebuild instructions
kevinindy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 10:30am
Originally posted by kevin719 kevin719 wrote:

ok I found these directions for rebuilding and tuning a 4160

Kevin,
Did you find the site instructions on posting pictures? You're driving me nuts with the buzzer mystery!! Where does the other end of the wire go?? (the one that was cut)

Posting pictures: First click on the icon above of the tree with the arrow. It will take you to a window to browse your computer files. Find the picture you want to post and click "open". If you get a message that the file type is wrong or too big, try using the Photobucket method:

picture posting using photobucket

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 9:50am
I will take some pics of this buzzer and trace the wiring soon.I have been working 14 hours a day this last week repairing drill rigs. We have all rigs drilling for a windfarm from sunup to sundown 7 days a week and they are breaking a lot of equipment! I just got around to tearing down the carb last night! Long week! But plenty of money for boat parts :)
kevinindy
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 12:25pm
Great industry to be in!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 5:04pm
Hey pbrainard send me your email and I will send you the pics and you can post.This buzzer has two wire spades on it its a small metal box with the number 283 on it.One wire which I assume is ground goes to the fuel guage.The other is orange which is the same wire that was cut off in the engine box area.
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 5:10pm
I forgot my question.Does pcm sell only 1 rebuild kit for the 4160? My needle and seats for the float bowls are different than what came in their kit.Also the kit did not have the sec. diaphram in it?The little metal tag on the carb reads motocraft e8jl ca   a8f16    and the choke horn says e8jl-9510-ca list 50463 1688.Thanks
kevinindy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by kevin719 kevin719 wrote:

Hey pbrainard send me your email and I will send you the pics and you can post.This buzzer has two wire spades on it its a small metal box with the number 283 on it.One wire which I assume is ground goes to the fuel guage.The other is orange which is the same wire that was cut off in the engine box area.

Kevin,
My email is in my profile but here it is. pbrainard@wistool.com
Hopefully the firewall won't remove the pictures!!

A orange wire if original is the main positive feed to the dash! I asked about the other end meaning the end at the engine!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 9:27pm
Kevin,
It looks like a relay to me but then should have a third wire on it. Possibly the horn relay. With a low voltage, a relay will buzz because there's not enough power for the coil to hold the contacts in. Also could be a balancing resistor for the fuel gauge. Tracing where the other end of the wire (by the engine)will tell.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 9:47pm
The other end is in the wiring bundle in the motor box.It is orange and was cut off when I bought it. It does not have power but when I power it, that box buzzes pretty loud?? I also can tell you that the dual horns are not working properly so you may be right about the horn relay.I am thinking about pulling the wires under the dash and starting over after I finish the floor and carb. What do you think about the carb kits?I think that I will call holleys tech line tomorrow.
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 9:54pm
Oh I forgot to say that this box is mounted in the middle of the dash,under the step for the walk through window.
kevinindy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:50pm
Kevin, Is there a third wire on it but just hidden in the picture? I know the cut wire is in the engine harness. Trace it when you get a chance and see where it goes.

I'm letting someone else answer the carb kit question. I'm not up on the carbs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 7:34am
Kevin,
I just took a real close look at the other picture you emailed me and it doesn't have a 3rd wire. The orange wire to the fuel gauge, does it daisy chain to the other gauges too? If so, it's got to be a balancing resistor for all the gauges.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 10:08pm
Pbrainard, I know that all of the guages are linked together but I will check to see if they are linked to this resistor. I bet that you are right.It will probably be a couple of days before I can check because I am out of town at the windmill farm repairing the rigs on site this week.I am starting to like this "green power" stuff!
kevinindy
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 1:55pm
Has anyone ever bought from either marinecarburetor.com or nationalcarburetor.com? One of them lists a 4160 marine carb for $258, sounds cheap even for a reman. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with either of them. I also have a 50463 but I think it's been frankenized....
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 5:08pm
talk about bringing a thread back from the brink of the dark ages    I think there are some threads on the newest and best alternative to the holley carbs here recently (quick fuel comes to mind)    you might check out those options too, but there really is nothing wrong with the good old holleys.   Reman vs Rebuilt can be significantly different.   is there a way you can find out what was done to it?    rebuild kits can be around 85 bucks retail, so if it is someone who just does this as a hobby, that might leave enough meat on the bone if you have to send in your core.   I think if you are questioning the quality, you might just have to step up for the real deal, but if your capable of doing your own rebuild in a year, still might be worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic