Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

primer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
Author
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 4:25pm
really I am enjoying this from afar, keep it coming. I am sure you know to keep taking pics and document everything as you go. This will be something you will look back on fondly.
It's kind of like child birth, in time you will forget how bad it hurt and love the process and outcome.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 6:04pm
you must have been feeling sentimental when you put that last post in.

I placed my order at US Composites. I wanted to work on the boat all weekend, but I have a surprise boater friend party tonight, wedding/reception tomorrow and jb wants to go out to watch the steeler game. These things should be done during the week so we have weekends free.

Dogbox is "almost" yucatan. Two very small cracks coming from the handle. Other than that, it looks great.

JB picked more steel wool and gloves up for me. And he also picked up an engine stand. He won't take me shopping at the "tool" stores. I have to give him a list.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

yeah, well ask Tim and Pete what I've been putting them through.

Well, it hasn't been that bad, but with so much emailing back and forth that the forwarding and cc'ing got messed up!! I ended up missing one of Michelle's emails.

I must say however that sometimes things do work out for the better - guess what guys, I understand it is now rumored that someone likes the Yucatan yellow. That's a ORIGINAL color!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 7:26pm
Hey Pete!

I thought you were hiding from me.

Yes, yes, it is true. You will not be offended if I call it yuckytan will you? You're right, it grows on you, it's different and there's not another around here that I know of. Now, yuckytan is a "pet" name.

I ordered from US Composites. They weren't much help with the fiberglass selection and I will need some for backing the drink holder holes, so...I looked and looked and chose 7 1/2 oz E Glass.

Little by little. Just wish people wouldn't plan functions on the weekends. Isn't summer wedding time? And a surprise retirement party. Both this weekend.

Tim, Pete, Greg, Dave, Lee, Riley and everyone else that puts their two cents in -
THANK YOU!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 7:29pm
And Pete...when I put the rest of those steeler colors on the seats and hang my steeler flag - it will look GREAT!

Just kidding!
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 2:59am

And Pete...when I put the rest of those steeler colors on the seats and hang my steeler flag - it will look GREAT!

Just kidding!

Told ya it would grow on you!
that aint a bad idea, black, gry, yellow upholstery and the stars on the cover
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 7:42am

I ordered from US Composites. They weren't much help with the fiberglass selection and I will need some for backing the drink holder holes, so...I looked and looked and chose 7 1/2 oz E Glass.

In talking with US Comp and minicraft during my adventure, I found out that many more people are DIYing it than before. They sold mostly to shops in previous years. Minicraft is doing what they can to make their product user friendly with expanded FAQ's and so forth. US Comp isn't as far along, but if you have square footage and glass type, they can tell you how much resin will be needed.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 12:10pm
who are the squeelers?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

who are the squeelers?

Huh?
1988 BFN-sold

skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

who are the squeelers?

Thats the Pittsburgh cheerleaders
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 12:52pm
Skinaut, really? during the games?
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 10:08pm
well if you hold one down in the right position she will be a squealer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 1:33pm
Back to the original topic of "primers", you have to watch and make sure of a good qaulity and that they are compatible over Gel, the main reason is Quinnering...which means shrinkage. after all done and said alot of times you will see the repaired area and it will look like a big circle under the paint. read the directions and ask the supplier about shrinkage and solvent pop. with primers on repaired areas you spray just the repaired area then on the next coat you bring it out farther and the next coat a little more farther...you are using the primer as a spray filler and you can never use to much of it. if your repair is 6 inches then the primered circle should be at least 12 to 14 inches
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 12:52pm
ok guys, back to boat "repair" now.

I am using the dogbox as a tester piece.

All of the red/white paint is gone and there are very small hairline cracks in two places. Coming from the handle is one. Yes, I removed the handle already.

Once I make the gel repairs, should I reglass the interior of the box - or do I do that in reverse - glass, then gel repair?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:02pm

Once I make the gel repairs, should I reglass the interior of the box - or do I do that in reverse - glass, then gel repair?

Gel isn't structural. It will crack when its base is weak or put under stress. The engine cover may have fallen against the handle at some point.

I would do whatever glass work you want to do on the inside first so that your hard work on the gel isn't wasted. For starters, sand off the inside of the cover where the handle bolts up and see if you see cracks in the glass.

1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:02pm
I think you'll want to repair the glass first, so the cosmetic (gel) repairs last longer. Before making any gel repairs though, try wetsanding and buffing the area and see how it looks. Ive got a good sized spiderweb crack on the deck of my '90 that became MUCH less noticeable after restoring the color to the deck. I had originally planned on repairing it, but now that you have to look hard for it, its dropped down pretty darn far on my list of priorities.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:48pm
Thanks Greg and Tim! Easy enough.

Tim, I'll know it's there even if no one else does, so while I'm knee deep in goop and glass I'll fix it.

Maybe I'll let it go on the "next" project.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:06pm
I hear what youre saying, Michelle. My fear is that a color match may not be 100% perfect, and a repair might be even more noticeable than the damage! It wouldnt hurt to see what how it looks after sanding/buffing before going through the trouble of grinding out and refilling.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I hear what youre saying, Michelle. My fear is that a color match may not be 100% perfect, and a repair might be even more noticeable than the damage! It wouldnt hurt to see what how it looks after sanding/buffing before going through the trouble of grinding out and refilling.

thats good advise S
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:20pm
I know you are right about that. But that's why I'm using the dogbox as sort of a test piece too. There are plenty of repair areas on the hull that I will have to match and/or I will end up regelling the entire hull.

If I see that the matching won't work on the dogbox, it's a smaller area to re-gel and I can practice gellin' away on that.

Is my way of thinking "crazy"?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:26pm
What I think they're saying is that gel is a different animal, But I like your thinking!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:26pm

But that's why I'm using the dogbox as sort of a test piece too. There are plenty of repair areas on the hull that I will have to match

If I see that the matching won't work on the dogbox, it's a smaller area to re-gel and I can practice gellin' away on that.

Is my way of thinking "crazy"?

Michelle,
You're not crazy!! One step at a time until you feel comfortable with a direction.

Have you contacted Minicraft yet for a color matched quart of gel paste?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:27pm
Not crazy, just not sure I agree with it. I dont know about you, but when I use my boat, I spend more time inside that I do outside- at least up close. A slightly mismatched repair on the hull at the waterline would rarely be seen, and probably not be noticeable from a few feet away. On the other hand, the motobox handle repair would be staring me in the face every time I got in!
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:28pm
With out seeing it I would guess the cracks are very small and common for this area. to stop it from spreading back it up with some glass, then try to buff or wet sand it enough to pass. If you gouge it out and patch it it almost certainly wont match and draw the eye to it. Most people probably wouldn't even notice those hairline cracks anyway. If you plan on gel-n the whole hull by all means gouge away.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

On the other hand, the motobox handle repair would be staring me in the face every time I got in!

Yup!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they will have much in that age range. They are pretty sharp though...they might be able to get a close match on a sample? You'd want the sample to be in super good shape.
1988 BFN-sold

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:32pm
Have you contacted Minicraft yet for a color matched quart of gel paste?[/QUOTE]

Pete,

They are sending color swatches for me to match.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they will have much in that age range. They are pretty sharp though...they might be able to get a close match on a sample? You'd want the sample to be in super good shape.

Greg,
They won't have the color in their data (yes, too old) but with a sample of the existing and $75, they will match it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Youre right- but I think Pete was implying that minicraft could match the color based on a sample.

Edit: Pete beat me to it!

Minicraft told me that the sample needs to be about the size of a quarter. Yikes, thats a big hole to drill!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:37pm
Michelle,
The color swatches won't match. You need a custom color mixed up. The big problem is getting them a sample of the existing wet sanded and buffed to match. Off the deck where it's most noticable but can be covered up later!!

Do you have a horn on the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic