NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 13>
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 1:28pm

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 1:31pm
Final coat...wax coat. I took these this morning

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 1:38pm
I don't know where to start! I have alot of sanding to do!
Applying the gel coat was not a bad job. I used the gel gun with a #6 nozzle. I did try thinning a pint at one point and putting through the auto spray gun and did not like that at all. I liked working with the gel "unthinned" with the gel gun. Does it go on smooth? No, but it does go on thick and it does dry quickly. I was more concerned about getting it on and having it cure correctly than I was about it being exceptionally smooth. It has to be sanded anyways.
The only frustrating part for me was that the air compressor could not keep up because my hose developed a leak. I mixed half pints, sprayed it on, unplugged the hose and had to wait for the air compressor to "catch up". Yeah, that was bad!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 1:47pm
I started at 12:30ish and did not finiah until 10:00. I wiped everything down with acetone again before I started. I made the magic mix, suited up and went to work. Being "neutral" gel coat, the first coat did not cover the areas where the repairs were made. I put 4 coats without wax and the 5th and final coat with wax. The gun needed cleaned quite a bit because I had to wait between sprays. By 7:00, the "waiting" for the compressor was frustrating. Then the breaker kept popping. God was testing my patience.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 1:49pm
Michelle,

What grit paper do you start with? How long does it have to cure before starting? You ever wet sand before? Lots more fun to come!
It looks great.   
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 1:52pm
OK, the magic "yuckytan yellow mix".
The neutral gel coat was from Fibreglast.
I noticed that different manufacturers supplied different colors of tint.As long as it was a poly tint, it was compatible with the Fiberglast gel coat.
For 1 gallon of neutral gel coat I used 1 oz. of Maize Yellow from US Composites, 1/4 tsp. of White from US Composites, 3 drops (from an eye dropper) of Red from Fibreglast, 1 drop of Blue from Fibreglast and 2 drops of Brown from Fibreglast.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Michelle,

What grit paper do you start with? How long does it have to cure before starting? You ever wet sand before? Lots more fun to come!
It looks great.   

Thanks Steve,
Per Fibreglasts's instructions, I am to use 600 dry, then 600 wet. Depending on what it looks like after using the 600, I may use a finer grit. It has to cure 24-36 hours. Yes, I have wet sanded. I enjoy that. In the last 2 pictures I posted, you can see the wax. I was told it had something to do with the "cure". I'm curious what purpose it has.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 2:09pm
I think the wax has something to do with keeping the gel from being tacky so you can sand it.

Wet sanding...cant be in a hurry.. crank some tunes and enjoy!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 2:18pm
Can't start sanding till Monday.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 2:20pm
Michelle,
Congratulations on making it over another hurtle/learning curve. Which reminds me, you can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!! Keep it up!

I feel you should start with more aggressive paper. I've started with 320 wet to knock down the orange peel. You'll be there forever with the 600. Just be very careful! Start on the bottom until you get the feel for it. Don't worry if you sand through the new gel in a spot. It happens! And you just have to shoot the spot again and blend.

On any surface close to flat, I find a hard block (wood) sanding block will level better. I also feel I can get more "feel" to stop pressure with the wood. IE: If you know you have a high spot, you can direct more pressure there. With a rubber block I don't get that feeling.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Michelle,
you can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!!

LOL, I like that, Pete! Yes, it'll be sanding time for a while. I have a huge stash on hand in different grits. I am excited. It's on - it's gelled! No major mishaps, just a little frustration!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 2:28pm
BTW, Pete, I sent you a text yesterday. Did you receive or did I text a stranger? LOL
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 2:34pm
Wow that looks great. I really appreciate you posting all the pictures.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 3:05pm
Wow 'Chelle.

You are amazing. I cannot believe your determination on this project.
I just don't think I could tackle that project. Good for you for putting your head down and just doing it.

It looks awesome, keep the pictures coming.
Love the Tyvek shot, too

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 3:16pm
Hi Mike,
Don't short change yourself - you could do it. I am proof that anyone can. Just a "want" I guess.Tyvek? LOL...I looked like a teletubby.
Wacko, I'll keep the pictures coming as I move along. Now, on to step 101!
Chelle'
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

BTW, Pete, I sent you a text yesterday. Did you receive or did I text a stranger? LOL

I didn't notice it in my on line office email. I'll check tomorrow when I get to work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 4:34pm
Michelle,
I "finish" my wet sanding (on car paint) with a paint stir stick, cut to about 4", and wrapped with 1000, 1200, ect, grit. That gives you a light "finger-touch". Altho you probably dont have to get that fine with the gel.

Like pete says, start on the bottom to get the feel for how its going to sand, keep the block parallel to the curvature of the hull, and sand in opposing 45 degree angles, making an "x" pattern. Also, make as long of strokes as possible.(ok Hollywood,jump in here!) I also like to hold the block towards the ends by my finger tips to let it swivel with the curves. You dont need to put a lot of force on the block... let the sandpaper do the work.

Occasionally dry the area and look for shiney spots...those are the "low" areas of the orange peel that still need sanding. When the hull is completely dull ,your there and ready for buffing.

I dont mean to bore you if you know this already....too many people just jump in and sand hap-hazardly. Everyone probably has a little different technique... this works for me...hope it will help?

Good Luck and keep the pics coming!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 10:57pm
Hey Michelle,
   Did you get any type of formula from the gel coat supplier as to how much pigment needed to be used to get the final color?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:37am
Great job Michelle. How about a picture and more info on the gun you used? Check out these sanders- the waterbug 3 models under the heading water sanders and marine
http://www.hutchinsmfg.com/
not sure your compressor could keep up tho and I have seen them for around $250.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 11:15am
Steve,
The instructions for tinting the neutral gel were 1 oz of tint,you can add more, but not less. I added a little more because I added small amounts of red, blue, brown and white to the maize yellow.

Gary,
The gel gun is a G100-6K from Infinity FRP Supply.

I started with a #3 tip and ended up pleased with the #6 tip. The gun came with a #6, but I bought other sizes to try.
I also bought a sleeve of the disposable cups. They were wonderful. Just fill,put on the gun and go.
It did clog up, but not often. I had more issues with the compressor that created more cleaning. I know why they call it gel coat now. It turns into jello before it hardens into conrete. The trick was to clean everything while it was in the jello stage.
You can sandblast with this gun too. They make different tips for different uses.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 11:19am
Steve,
Thanks for the sanding tips. Bottom first. That way no one will see if I screw up.
Michelle
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:01pm
You know your setting the bar kind of high for the other girls?
lets see do I date the girl that can knit or the one who can gel coat my boat....tough decision
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:08pm
Pete's rotary dial office phone takes a few days to process the "text" message.

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Michelle,
I "finish" my wet stick, about 4", and wrapped. That light "finger-touch" you get on the bottom to feel the curvature in an "x" pattern. Also, make as long of strokes as possible. I also like to hold the tip to let it swivel with the curves. You dont need a lot of force.

I dont mean to bore you if you know this already.... Everyone probably has a little different technique... this works for me...
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:13pm
Lee, you are too funny. You know me, my big burly body in flannels with a shotgun by my side. Question...what was I doing the first time you met me?

Hollywood, Steve was expecting you.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:19pm
Chelle,
Way to go !! Looks Kick-A$$... Can't wait to see the pics once sanded and buffed.. You're on your way. Nice job..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:24pm
MOJ',
Thanks!
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

what was I doing the first time you met me?

I believe Blink had brought you to the ski club.
We were having a beer up in the pavilion and you were on the dock fishing. We were admiring your gathering skills. You were gutting fish with your bare hands and teeth. Blink looked at me and said she hunts too. I was like, dude, she's a keeper.......
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:50pm
OMG....I'm going to fall off my chair! Do you have the boat in yet?
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:03pm
Michelle I have been following your restoration and slowly acquiring the supplies to do mine. Just a question about guns. Now that you have sprayed yours would you have benefitted by the 8 quart gravity feed attachment(I have a shop compressor that can keep up) or is that to much product to handle at once.
Still love that colour!!!
70 Mustang project
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:14pm
Doug,
In my opinion, it would be too much. The temp here on Saturday was 60 degrees. I put the smallest amount of MEKP, as the instructions were 1.5 to 2 tsp per pint. I wanted it to cure as slow as it possibly could because I was afraid I would not be able to keep up. It started gelling in the cup 10-12 minutes after mixed. It gets thicker and then "unworkable". If you let the gel harden before putting another coat on the boat, it is recommended that you sand. If the gel is tacky, you can put a second, third coat over. I can't imagine how quickly the gel coat would set up if it were warmer weather.

What color tint are you using? I have a bright yellow that I will not be using at all.

Chelle'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic