NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 13>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:05pm
Michelle, looking VERY nice!!! Are you glad that you stuck with the yucatan now? I figure I better ask before you start sanding...

I agree with Pete on starting with a pretty agressive grit- I might even give 220 a shot to knock down that orange peel. Gel is much harder than paint, so you have to be aggressive!
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:11pm
Michelle
I have 5 gallons of white that I would have to tint slightly darker to remain original. Currently I am only doing the deck as my hull is good. If I went 'yucky tan" then I would want to do the whole boat but that would put the project off until the fall as I'm finishing up a car trailer and have a bug under resto plus a move during the summer.The truth is I'm probably dragging my feet because I want to see your boat done and I'm sure that will sell me on a complete.
I wonder how they get a whole hull sprayed before it jells- maybe air tight- I need to do some research. Thanks for keeping all the fans up-to-date on your project.
70 Mustang project
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:25pm
Tim,
Thanks. I have a collection of different grits. I'll be aggressive, but not too aggressive.

Doug,
The way I was with the gel - I wasn't afraid because you can't really fear trying something that you don't know anything about and haven't tried before. I did the research and tried to learn everything I could, but you can overdo that too. As long as the gel is "tacky", you can spray over it again. There was enough time even when it "gelled" on the hull for me to coat again.
Boat Doc explained to me that the wax is what makes the final coat "air tight" so that it cures properly.
Chelle'
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

I wonder how they get a whole hull sprayed before it jells- maybe air tight- I need to do some research. Thanks for keeping all the fans up-to-date on your project.

Doug,after looking up the gun Michelle used, I found this one
http://stores.infinityfrp.com/-strse-119/Gelcoat-spray-cup-gun/Detail.bok
They mix after it leaves the gun not before
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 5:00pm
Gary,
That is a really nice gun, but I get a case of the "what if's". I liked having control over the MEKP because I knew how much I put in. Do you think it would gel up in the nozzle and clog?

Chelle'
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 6:39pm
Michelle,I have retained almost none of my fiberglass experence of 35 yrs ago when I put back on a front fender on my dune buggy that was removed by another car. I do think tho since that particular gun mixes outside of it,you would not an issue with cloging. The other advantage is that you could stop and not worry about it setting up. Thats all past you now and it's looking good. I am sitting here laughing with you on the compressor hose,it's always something.I painted almost my whole trailer forgetting to turn mine on.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 6:54pm
Gary,

I'm laughing now, but I wasn't laughing then! I had a few other minor issues. I wanted to be able to wake up and head right out to the garage. I went out to start the kerosene heater to knock the chill off. Someone used all the kerosene in the heater and didn't refill it. Of course I can't find the pump, so I use a plastic cup. I filled it up. The wick was left all the way up and it was dry because the heater had nothing in it. I wind the wick down, go to get my long lighter...can't find it. I wound the wick back up and I tried lighting it with a piece of rolled up paper, but every time I put it in, it would go out. At that point, I picked the heater up and carried it outside. I get my gel gun out and I've already looked at it without noticing there was not an attachment for the air hose. So, a trip to the hardware store was needed. By the time I was really ready, it was warm enough outside. It's the little things.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Are you glad that you stuck with the yucatan now?

Yes, Tim. I am very glad. To think I really disliked it, huh?
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 10:46am
Looking good Michelle! There are some cool new products out there for final sand and buff too. We just finished my dune buggy and a corvette at the body shop next door. The final sanding was done with a special wet pad on an orbital sander then a 3 stage buffing compound. I forgot to ask Ron whose system it was, but given the fine 2000 (i believe) grit of the wet foam looking pad I think Im going to try it on the mustang gell this spring to brighten up the white before it hits the water. Left an incredable smooth finish on all surfaces but seems like an ideal way to finish large flat areas.

Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 11:17am
Thanks, Sean. Please find out the product name if you can. Every post on the site regarding buffing states 3M products. That's what I was planning on using.
Chelle'
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 11:52am
Michelle,
This may be what Sean is reffering too. Abralon hook and loop wet/dry pands They are available 180 through 4000 grit. I've used them with great success and after I recommended them to Bill (skibum) I seem to remember he used them.

I put them on my electric (plugged into a GFI) and then with a spray bottle of water in one hand and the sander in the other go at it! The water is hard on the bearing under the sanding pad but is easy to replace.

One big caution here is you must hard block wet sand first to flatten out the orange peel. Steve (62wood) mentioned to look for small shiny spots when leveling. Yes, these are the low spots in the orange peel. If you don't hard block first, then the soft sanding pad won't level and you'll still see the bumps and valleys of the orange peel. Hard block until you can barely see the shiny spots and then go to the Abralon.

Edit: Another caution - Do your outside corners by hand!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:03pm
Pete,
Would I be able to find these at an auto body shop or do you think I would have to order?
Chelle'
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:06pm
Next Correct Craft for you to restore and collect.

1954 correct craft
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:18pm
for some strange reason you guy's like to work hard at things and keep testing different products and rate them....well all the testing is done, I always go to the source when doing something, someone thats been doing it for years, made the mistakes, doesnt want to work as hard as he used too....
Meguiars 85 diamond cut coumpound 2.0

I use it on boats and it cuts quick chemically, and a splash of dawn in the wet sand bucket also helps
"the things you own will start to own you"
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:33pm
Trizact Hookit 3m pads. I stopped back over and looked at the name, should be available at most autobody supply shops. Velcro backed for use on the DA. Really just for the super fine work if your a perfectionist probably but supposedly the more you sand with fine grits the less work it is to polish out. Looks like the same thing pointed out above but 3m.
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 5:06pm
Still sanding.

I picked up 3M compound(s) and Collinite. Busy holiday/function week this week and am looking forward to being able to work in the garage.

Pete, should I wear rubber boots when I plug the electric sander in to wet sand with?

Chelle'

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 5:37pm
Bare hands, bare feet and water on the floor!! It will keep you awake and keep you moving.(just kidding)
I'll be wet sanding and buffing the '85 soon this is all good info.

Chelle' cant wait to meet for a beer and talk about all this crazy stuff we're doing.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 5:46pm
Paul,

I'm going to be a sanding/buffing pro by the time I'm done with the fleet.

What surprised me was the price of the compound.

A beer and boat talk sounds great! I'll have to get the clearance and schedule.

I bet you're like us, ready way before it's time to put the boat(s) in!

My son just joined civil air patrol last night. He can't wait to get those BDU's and "blues"!

Michelle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Pete, should I wear rubber boots when I plug the electric sander in to wet sand with?

All power tools these days are really insulated well and have the plastic cases. The old days of the metal cases are gone. Some are even "double insulated" and don't even need the grounding prong/wire on the cord. The rubber boots are over kill and as long as you have it plugged into a GFI outlet or GFI power strip you'll be fine. I don't even bother with that!! It was Bill who went the extra step and used the GFI. We aren't talking about lots of water. Yes, the floor will get wet but it's only the sanding pad on the random orbit that will be wet.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 6:43pm
Air compressor just isn't cutting it right now. So, I will use the "Pete" method. I can't wait to start on the compound, but there's quite a bit more sanding to do.
Chelle'
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 6:45pm
The tool collection is growing by leaps and bounds!

Compound Question: They didn't have the Super Duty, so I grabbed Perfect It II Extra Cut. The container reads that it will leave fine swirls. Will the Imperial Microfinish that I also bought take care of getting rid of the swirls or should I take it back and get a different compound?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 7:20pm
Michelle, that Extra Cut is probably be the closest to the SD that you'll find, so it should work OK. Looks like it will remove 1000-1200 grit scratches, where the SD says it will do 1000. Sounds like what youve got will be just a touch less aggressive.

I would still do the Imperial Microfinishing compound after the EC, followed by Finesse-It II. Id do at least 2 rounds of both the EC and Finesse-It. 1 round of the Imperial should be enough.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 7:31pm
Thanks, Tim.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Air compressor just isn't cutting it right now. So, I will use the "Pete" method.

It takes a pretty decent air compressor to run a air DA sander especially if you don't want to sand for 1 minute and wait 3 for the air to build back up. I gave up on my DA at home because I didn't want to rewire my shop. We are talking about a 5 HP compressor and this is NOT the BS HP you are finding on compressors these days. These "homeowner" compressors are being rated at "peak" HP which really is meaningless unless you are trying to pull one over on the general public. (that's what they are doing!!) You must go by the CFM delivered at the pressure you need and compare that to the air tool you are using. I just went through this not long ago with one of our members. He was using his DA lots and decided to get a new compressor (just the compressor - he used his old motor and tank) The side of the compressor had the 6.5 BS HP on it so he bought a compressor rated for 5 HP. It was too much for the motor. Asking him what the nameplate amps on the motor was, it really turned out to be just less than 3 HP!! You can't get more HP out of a given amp of electricity before you have a motor meltdown!

Just be careful if your out looking at compressors and don't be fooled by the BS peak HP's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 12:42pm
I am loving electric right now! Last night was the first full evening I was able to spend sanding. I've so many different sanders and grits of sand paper. I tried a few different things. I did hard block first with 320 grit. What I found that worked the best for me was using an electric DA, hard block, then a screened hook and loop that blink picked up in 320. I wet sanded with this and it worked very nicely, as I was able to wash the screen out easily. I sanded till I saw "few" shiny areas left. Then I switched to a 400 wet hook and loop (3M). I went over everything with that. Now, I am starting on the 600 wet hook and loop (3M). I think I've got this figured out.

I was using the 3M in 320 grit before blink picked up the screens and I was going through the sanding pads very quickly.I am very happy with how the screen sanding pads are working. They do not gauge as I feared they would. Maybe using them wet is the key.

I'm back on track!

Michelle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 1:31pm
Michell,
It sure doesn't take very long for you to get a process down to being correct! You always do your "homework" first but most important it never takes long for you to grasp a idea. We all have seen many people come on site without that quality!

Are these the "screens" you are talking about? Abranet disc They are offered by the same people as the Abralon I linked too previously but not in the finer grits. My being a woodworker I frequent Woodworkers Suppy more than I get over to the auto supply for the 3M sanding products!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 1:57pm
Pete,

Thank you for the compliment. You always help to give me the confidence to move forward.

Yes, those are the screen discs.

Sometimes you find things out by trial and error and using different techniques I suppose. I didn't see the screens at the Auto Performance shop that I purchased the 3M Hook and Loop from. Using the hard block like you suggested is something I will now highly recommend too before using the DA.

Again, I love electric.

Michelle
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 12:22pm
Star board side and then hand sanding.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 12:43pm
Michelle, I haven't forgot about those measures/pictures. I've been very busy and yesterday turned out lousy. I'll get them this week.

Billy, talk to you about that boat?
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 1:06pm
Hi Bruce,

Thank you. I know what you mean about the busy. I keep hoping the weather will cooperate, but we are in for 3 more days of rain. Good news is that the garden is tilled and the grass is mowed.

Yes. And I owe the good doctor a phone call. I missed his on Saturday. Lunch break.

Michelle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic