Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
Author
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 3:21pm
Eric, I'm still not convinced. On my 351, I feel good that both manifolds are empty after draining, as the angle of the motor is such that the plugs are at the lowest point. However, the block plugs, the port side is at the back of the block, and with the angle of the motor in the boat, it is lower than the "casting plugs" and most of the water comes out when removed. The starboard side however, the plug is toward the front of the block and, if I remember correctly, is higher than the "casting plugs". Together, with the angle of the motor, there could be significant water left on that side after draining. I always raise and lower the jack on the trailer to get out as much water as possible. Many have said in this thread that there can always be water left in the block after draining. This is the reason, in my opinion, that anti freeze should be added. I believe water expands in all direction when frozen, not just to any available "open" space. Any experts that can confirm or deny my thinking here?
"...gotta keep rockin' while I still can..."
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

noodles as far as I know will not hold water when new as they have some kind of a finish but as they get old and sun does its work, that finish comes off and that is when they really start to take serious water..they still float..

New noodles, coupled with the fact that the boat is on a lift with a canopy and otherwise stored indoors makes me extremely confident using them as a partial flotation alternative to the dreaded foam. There really are no points of intrusion unless I take on a bunch of water in which case, I have bigger problems. Not that that cannot happen, but I have a bilge pump, and primarily use the boat on a very small lake.

I am putting the noodles in the next boat, too.

Lastly, if I see some dipsh*t dumping AF in the lake I am going to freak on them. I would never ever do this. Not in a million years. My Dad copped to this once and he was so embarassed by the ass chewing I gave him he never did it again.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

FYI Pete, I hope you didn't think my post was directed at you, because it wasn't. I meant that everything I did not quote was respectable...the part I quoted Rodger on was the part I was making a point on.

Craig,
Thanks for clearing that up. I actually did think your post was directed at me and It really surprised me. Once again, a good example of putting thoughts down in words and still making the point clear!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It must not be White Lake Marine he works at since they would know the answer going back all the years with CC. BTW, I contest their claim to be the oldest CC dealer. Old yes but not the oldest.

Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Pete, White Lake Marina, NC is the oldest CC dealer. Not the first, but the oldest still in business.

Tim,
Note that I stated White Lake claims to be the oldest CC dealer. Now for a fact: Watercraft Sales sold their first CC in 1949. It's a deluxe double plank Junior and still on the Three Lakes Wisconsin chain of lakes. Watercraft is still around and going strong even with the downturn it the boating industry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by 6strings 6strings wrote:

I believe water expands in all direction when frozen, not just to any available "open" space. Any experts that can confirm or deny my thinking here?

That is correct. Ice is the molecules in the water forming a crystal lattice. They expand out equally in every direction. Better proof than that tho is when I was a kid I put an open plastic cup of water in the freezer. Although the water/ice had plenty of room to move up toward the top of the cup, the ice pushed out the sides of the cup, cracking it open.
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 4:16pm
Thanks Tique! That is exactly why I'm not comfortable with just draining the block....it would be fine if I knew all the water was out!
"...gotta keep rockin' while I still can..."
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 4:32pm
my dis-claimer "drain block fill with anti-freeze"
you do have a point but the experts use thier lift truck on the tongue of the trailer to raise it 6ft and then swing the jack and bring it all the way down to insure the water is out, or with compressed air we will blow the rest of the water out, if. if. if any is left in there.
its a double edged sword, if you are not quite sure that you got all the water out then by all means throw in some anti-freeze, no need to use 5 gallons because it trickles out the back into your driveway. 1.5 to 2 gallons is more than enough in an empty or 98% emptied block. most of all, use common sense on this, raise or lower the boat to get the water out or blow it with air. i do this every year and feel comfortable doing it this way and hopefully not to offend and say this is the way you have to do it because i said...they are mere suggestions to make it easier and make people more comfortable doing it at home by themselves.
Just mentioning the green anti-freeze being dumped into the lake is a valid point, maybe some read that and thought to themselves.....maybe i shouldnt do that
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by 6strings 6strings wrote:

I believe water expands in all direction when frozen, not just to any available "open" space. Any experts that can confirm or deny my thinking here?

That is correct. Ice is the molecules in the water forming a crystal lattice. They expand out equally in every direction. Better proof than that tho is when I was a kid I put an open plastic cup of water in the freezer. Although the water/ice had plenty of room to move up toward the top of the cup, the ice pushed out the sides of the cup, cracking it open.

You are comparing a large volume of water in a plastic container to a very small volume of water surrounded by cast iron. A cup of water in the freezer is an extreme example of a hard cold snap, where the crystals/grains don't have time to grow in a preferential direction. I don't have enough experience with cracking engine blocks to go much further past this.
joe_schindler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_schindler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 5:24pm
One thing I’d like to know from the “fill your engine with antifreeze” bunch is; which freezes first; nothing, or antifreeze?

Not all antifreeze is created equally.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 5:46pm
^^Which is why you drain first.^^

One question I have is when you read the jugs of RV AF I used, they say "guaranteed burst protection to -50* F."   I highly doubt the AF company is going to come across with a new engine, despite the guarantee they offer for all applications, including marine engines.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 5:51pm
and GD, here i thought things shrank when they froze
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 5:53pm
BTW, if I cant drink it straight, its poisen
WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:18pm
Surprisingly enough, the pink AF is cleared for use in food products by the FDA. Interesting. Soon the lake that my marina is on will be pink, edible, and available for use all year!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:39pm
im afraid of the rust additives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:43pm
oh don't worry, im sure the additives would just clean the digestive tract right up
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:43pm
My pool noodles have been in service since spring of '96. I'll reach in grab one, let you know how its fairing.
I suspect they are fine, but I'm sure its a lot easier to renoodle than to refoam.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Thoughts on anything other than stabilizer if I'm keeping her in a heated shop?

Ryan,
I'll fog and Stabil only and not even bother with draining.

Please pardon my ignorance, but how would I fog it(ZR6)? When I was a kid we would just pour some marvel down the carb, but in this case...Should I pull the plugs and just squirt some in the cylinders? I'll likely use it on New Years Day, or down at St. John's at the latest so should I even bother?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:49pm
Would not bother!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

My pool noodles have been in service since spring of '96. I'll reach in grab one, let you know how its fairing.
I suspect they are fine, but I'm sure its a lot easier to renoodle than to refoam.

The ones I checked were used in an indoor pool with virtually no sitting out in the sun. I would try empty soda bottles if I was doing one over.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 6:57pm
Sadly enough, have not used it in a month, should I still not worry about it, and is there any ethonal-free gas in FL?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I'm sure its a lot easier to renoodle than to refoam.

What a treat they would be to remove.

WLS, cleared by the FDA?    I do recall seeing the statement "generally regarded as safe" on the label. Not sure that really means approved for use, or not.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 7:12pm

Sadly enough, have not used it in a month, should I still not worry about it, and is there any ethonal-free gas in FL?

Sadly enough just about everything around here is aat least 10% Ethanol. Before you put it up for the winter use Valvtect Ethanol Gasoline treatment. Should also use it through out the season.
Check out the web site, good stuff! http://www.valvtect.com/
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Your local airport.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 7:20pm
-Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive.
applications:
-As a humectant food additive, labeled as E number E1520

mmmmm good to the last drop
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:02pm
^^wow^^

I will pass.

What in the hell would you add that too, foodwise?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:05pm
I read they put it in animal food and in pills. No thanks!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:08pm
There's three gas stations near me that sell ethanol free, 87 octane. The way I winterize mine, mentioned earlier has worked for me. About 5 years ago we had some unusual cold weather, freezing rain, 2 foot long ice. Here's a pic.

Tim D
imdeeds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imdeeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:12pm
Dont know much about freezing.I build large field sprayers and we have to winterize them.A few years ago we was talking about rv antifreeze and a guy said"a half glass of rv antifreeze will get you effed up".I am real sure he knew for a fact.By the way is this the correct thread to talk about the best oil,Obama,and religion?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by imdeeds imdeeds wrote:

By the way is this the correct thread to talk about the best oil,Obama,and religion?

No, just child rearing.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

[QUOTE=GottaSki] I would try empty soda bottles if I was doing one over.

Do they have Coast Guard approved soda bottles (that's 'pop' west of the 'ol Miss)?

Kidding aside - I really think this is a legitimate idea - would there be risk that these would move around & squeak going over waves? How about material degradation when exposed to oil or . . . A/F in the spring?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
  Share Topic