NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

returning point ..back on track!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Or he has a bad ground. Did you paint the motor and then install the starter? The starter might have high resistance to ground because of the paint

I did paint the engine!! while I was there today I checked ground. So I unhooked the engine ground cable and grinded the sitting area of the cable, so now it sit to the bare metal no paint there...I also grinded the cable terminal
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 3:23pm
I was also curious about the paint causing a poor ground. I am in the middle of painting my engine and am taping off any connection points, or grinding them. Starter, block, etc.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 4:10pm

I did paint the engine!! while I was there today I checked ground. So I unhooked the engine ground cable and grinded the sitting area of the cable, so now it sit to the bare metal no paint there...I also grinded the cable terminal[/QUOTE]

Now we wont know if it was the starter or the ground. Keep us posted and good job your getting close!!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 4:18pm
I know LOL!!! i should have tried the before and after the grinding..But I had the shaft seal out so I could not put her in the water to fired up:..
Anyway starer needed some freshen up!!!
I will also check wire terminal when all set to see any corrosion afecting them...
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 9:20pm
Sebastian - I have heard that di-electric grease applied over connections will keep them from corroding.

You might want to try that on your ground connection after you get it working, to keep it working.

On your alignment - Is the strut aligned with the center of the log? You might want to check for that - see where the shaft naturally wants to be. I had to shim my strut to center up with the log.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:41pm
I´ll check that also...

Last time I was there I also noticed some oil leaking from the valve cover gasket!!! PITA to adjust them the exh manifold need to move out!!!
I might leave it like that until I retoque the cylinder heads after some use...The cork might expand with the use and eventually stop leaking...Just as with the fuel pump leak that It stopped...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 7:03pm
Forgot to menction..hope its not bad: while the engine was idling and with the shaft not hooked to the tranny coupling, I noticed the coupling was slowly turning..very slow i mean...Is this normal?
hope not as I don´t have the mooth for a rebuilt right now..LOL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 8:08pm
Sebastian - I think Eric calls that a dirty neutral. Mine does that too. I am not going to fix it anytime soon.

Ben Franklin
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 9:04pm
I have always heard that the coupler turning very slowly while in neutral and at idle was expected behavior.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 9:09pm
Yes it's common, now when you get the shaft back it wont because the shaft/prop will create some load.

A dirty neutral is when the shaft turns so that it will move the boat.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 6:52am
Mine does the same. Even when in the water, at idle the shaft turns very very slowly. Same comment as SNobsessed: no fix planned anytime soon.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 8:41am
Whenever yall send those dirty neutrals to Eric, you'll be pleased with what comes back!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 5:01pm
Just came from working on the boat..good news I finally alligned..I have .002 diference top to bottom wich according to the manual its within specs...shaft turns freely by hand and evan all the turn...so I guess its done...
Now the bad news I´m still stucked with the starting problem (not ignition related) The starter was freshen and cleaned, the leads were replaced.. but Its still not working as it should. Boat started with some slow turns and was there for 5 minutes until it stopped..then warm impossible to get it started again. Even with two bateries no moves..Engine its very compressed I guess ..clue less. Tried to move the engine by the crak and it was stucked I feared..then removed all the plugs to see if I could move it and yes it turned freely even with the small leverage I had from the wrench.. Tried to crank it like that with the battery and even like that it would not turn...So now I took the starter again for a full rebuilt (re-do the copper coil) also took the cables to have them welded as the terminal are not that tight!! And finally I will get a new battery...
I tried retarding the ignition but did not affect the cranking...
I´m pissed...

Hope I can solve this ASAP...
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 5:14pm
Do you have new battery cables(wires)?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 5:31pm
Nop but might cahnged them..the inner copper in the actual ones looks right,,but tthe terminal were a little rusted..
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 5:36pm
I know I replaced my starter when it would crank really slow. That was it. Good luck!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 6:03pm
I would want to chance it also but the only chance of a new one is have one sent from the US...10 days at least to have it here!!! And I want my boat now!!!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 6:37pm
How much more would it cost to get one from the states than to have one rebuilt twice? You would know then that every thing is new from top to bottom. Just a thought.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 7:05pm
One new sent from the US would turn out costing me around $450-500
I also was quoted from a dealer $830!!
against 80-150 for the rebuilt twice!!
I think i´m choosing the rebuilt..any way In the worst case I can pay that money If I gone that far in the rebuilt that 500 will not ruin the 5k I put in that engine so far...(I should have ordered a new starter from the begining alond with the ignition retrofit).
Now I talked to a mechanic friend that services some PCM engines and he happens to have in his shop a 96 gt40 engine that belongs to the local ski federation. And offered to borrow me starter of the engine while mine is being rebuilt. Only difference it has the newer style starter which is more compact and has a 2 wire hook up.
Just hanged up with Eric about the fit of that one on my engine and he assured me it would go...
BTW NICE TALKING TO YOU ERIC!!!

Now in the case i take that one for testing how should I run the wires to make it provisional until I get the old one?

thaks Kapla
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 7:40pm
Kapla are you sure that engine is a GT40??? last time Vito tried to sell me those he told me they engines were GMs.

There's not sense on getting a new starter, have yours completely rebuild it will end up the same, at least mine did.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 8:15pm
Just for test, you could put an auto starter on it. Don't leave it that way though!!

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Kapla are you sure that engine is a GT40??? last time Vito tried to sell me those he told me they engines were GMs.

There's not sense on getting a new starter, have yours completely rebuild it will end up the same, at least mine did.

I guess they are form gt40, if they were GM I now they won´t fit.

The starter anyways Its being rebuilt but If I could get a borrowed one for the weekend....

Chris:
No cars with that kind of starter around here!!!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 1:27am
I'm sure someone who knows is following this thread, but in the older natiques, what was the difference between a auto and marine starter?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 2:42am
I think reverse rotation is the major problem. I know on my buddy 97 MC I put a car starter but that one was not a reversed rotation.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 7:19am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Whenever yall send those dirty neutrals to Eric, you'll be pleased with what comes back!

As I said to Eric on the phone: if it gets to a point I can no longer accept it, it'll be in a crate on its way to "Fantastic Finish Marine" faster than you can say "I-got-a-problem-with-my-tranny-lets-send-it-to-the-tranny-man-in-ohio!"...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 11:47pm
well I have the rebuilt starter, new battery and new terminals for the cables...going tomorrow to put everything in place..wish me luck...i'll report back...
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2009 at 12:24pm
Good luck kap,your getting real close to done.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2009 at 2:51pm
My bets is if that thing cranks and runs we won't here from Kap till late tonight!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2009 at 3:24pm
She runs!!!!I was there today morning, put the starter the cables, new battery....put her in the water..turned the key...broooomm..like a champ..let it runs for 10 minutes..tuned off...started again..no problem starter now flyies....wow so i went for a ride..boat goes fine...very smooth..anyways I need to adjust some things..but is runing great....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2009 at 3:27pm
Congratulations!!! Merry Christmas, you must feel like a little kid. I know I would.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic