Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nopowerturning.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nopowerturning.com
    Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:01am
Thought you guys might like this

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/745320.html?1257303615   
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:56am
Why? Educate me.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 2:12am
We have a problem with boats powerturning and sending rollers down the lake. On a small lake it can really create problems on the water and on the shorelines.....Plus it's a waste of gas!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 2:22am
If a "powerturn" is what I have in mind, are the rollers any worse than a ballasted wake boat pulling a boarder?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 2:36am
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

If a "powerturn" is what I have in mind, are the rollers any worse than a ballasted wake boat pulling a boarder?

Not going 35-40 and spinning the boat, but slowly banking the boat and churning up the water. On our fishbowl of a lake it gets pretty nasty.

I guess more specifically the reasoning is to keep wakes down on the lake. Some members were trying to alienate wake boats because they made "5 foot tall waves." (2 of 5 mentioned "wake boats" were slalom boats w/towers and an x7 lol)

Our process was to educate everyone on the fact that a bayliner can create more wake than wake boats if they plow water, which many members do.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 2:54am
Thanks for the explanation, I agree although it is fun from time to time, if I knew it caused a problem I never would just being a courteous boater. I could agree that just about any boat can have an effect on shoreline erosion. I have also been known to approach a wake boat or two when they have sent a wave over my bow. I guess the above mentioned sticker / website would be a little less confrontational though.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 3:23am

I guess the above mentioned sticker / website would be a little less confrontational though.

But thats the fun part! It's my second favorite past time...close behind chasing down jet ski's!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 8:39am
Power turn link for Ryan

I don't get it ether!! Everyone on Wakeworld want's the stickers but there's no reason stated why they want them???!!! As stated above, maybe the "powerturn" is different than the ones I'm thinking of. A high speed powerturn does not produce large wave/wakes like a ballasted boat does!!

BTW, a sticker on a windshield isn't going to change non courteous attitudes!! If it did, I'd go non original and have LARGE ones made for the sides and transom of my boats that would state "NO TUBES"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 10:12am
Thanks.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 10:24am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd go non original and have LARGE ones made for the sides and transom of my boats that would state "NO TUBES"

But would'nt that discourage competitive tubing?
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 11:05am

As stated above, maybe the "powerturn" is different than the ones I'm thinking of. A high speed powerturn does not produce large wave/wakes like a ballasted boat does!!

Amongst wakeboarders,The "powerturn" is not the same as what you would consider a powerturn in a ski boat. Powerturns in ski boats is more like doing a spin on a PWC vs. powerturn in a wakeboat being like a turn you would make while towing a tube. Unless your rider is in immmediate danger there is no reason to do it.Slow down,idle boat around and return to rider.Most of the time the roller will turn the boat for you if done properly. I have seen wally skiers do this as well and if done in a ski boat the same way it would be done in a wakeboat, the end result is almost just as bad.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 11:46am
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

As stated above, maybe the "powerturn" is different than the ones I'm thinking of. A high speed powerturn does not produce large wave/wakes like a ballasted boat does!!

Amongst wakeboarders,The "powerturn" is not the same as what you would consider a powerturn in a ski boat.
Mike

So the wakeboarders have got their terminology mixed up. I don't know what they would call it but the powerturn (spin) has been around since the 60's. That's certainly way before the advent of wakeboarding!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 11:56am
Pete, the terminology has evolved. The wakeboarders are right on the power turns. Skiers do them too, when they power around to pick someone up. What you call a power turn is now a "bat turn".
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:02pm
I thought a "Bat turn" was a "Rockford"!!!

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

What you call a power turn is now a "bat turn".

We called them "bat turns" way before the "power turn" was used. I've mentioned it before that it didn't take long after the Batman TV series came out that someone said something like that turn looks like how Batman turns the Batmobile around in the Batcave!!! We still call them bat turns!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:22pm
The problem is not the powerturn,its the people who come into a secluded occupied area and proceed to powerturn while your pulling a rider.Its rude,uncalled for and generally done by people that just don't understand how much there affecting the skier.Last real bad one I had actually waved and smiled at me because he just didn't know any better.I know that sounds crazy to some of you guys(wakeboarders complaining about wakes)but it is possible to be decent to others and own a wakeboat.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

The problem is not the powerturn,its the people who come into a secluded occupied area and proceed to powerturn while your pulling a rider.Its rude,uncalled for and generally done by people that just don't understand how much there affecting the skier.Last real bad one I had actually waved and smiled at me because he just didn't know any better.I know that sounds crazy to some of you guys(wakeboarders complaining about wakes)but it is possible to be decent to others and own a wakeboat.

Now I get it. The last sentence really makes me chuckle, I understand there can be a large difference in the experience generated by careful, courteous, wake boarders and the uneducated drivers out there who do not have a clue. The same can be said of any boat driver.

However, the problem really is with perception. Its unfortunate that the name of the sport is "wake boarding" and not Ski boarding or such, and "wake surfing" is not called "boat surfing". To the pontoon crowd and fisherman on the lake, the act of severely overloading a boat to make the largest possible wake, then plowing down the lake at a speed that creates the largest peak, so someone can surf, is just crazy. I fully understand that grandpa in his 25' sea ray pulling the grand kids at 15 mph in the tube makes very large wakes as well, but the public does not see it as "purposely creating the biggest wake possible".

Educated boaters are the key, this fight is just starting on our lake, and it will get worse before better. The risk with any widespread education project at our lake is: We would call more attention to the problem in the short term, risking bans. The education must take place one on one, boater to boater, creating a environment of courteous drivers, boarders, skiers, and surfers.

Our watersports club is very active at the lake, hosting events that raise funds, we are always donating those funds to the causes at the lake, chapel, playground improvements, lions club, civic club, etc, etc...
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:37pm
On Green Lake, one doesn't need ballast to creat wakes.. Isn't that neat ???? No one bitches haha

Gary, great point.....
We just get up early before pontoon Charley wakes up....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:51pm
I "powerturn" in the slalom course if a skier falls and im more than half way thru the course so it sends the roller from the turn down course instead of back up it the way we came so when I pull back up and drop at the other end the roller is out of the gates and ready to ski. Not really a powerturn just cutt throttle and whip it around between the boat guides.

The thing that annoys me the most on a lake is not following the outter edge counter clockwise rule which greates irratic waves all over the lake. Our lake is 440 acres. Wake boats usually thinkg its cool to go all different directions especially in our smooth cove along with tubers which basically makes it inpossible to do anything other than kneeboard during the day.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 2:10pm
With Zach mentioning the counter clockwise rule, I'm just wondering how many of you boat/ski/wakeboard on waters that you have to abide by the rule. I'm lucky that I don't.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 2:17pm
I think he's kind of got the right idea, but it might be a little too specific, especially since some boaters may not even know what a power turn is (or what kind of power turn he is referring to). How about something a little more generic, like Dontbeadouchebagboater.com. OK, thats a little harsh, how about courteousboater.com. Instead of coming off as a jerk lecturing wallies, just give them a sticker (or business card) with the address. Let em look it up and see what you are talking about. Could include safety, courtesy, ramp etiquete, general tips for being a good boater. I bite my lip many times, especially at the ramp, so that could be a good alternative to "helping" new or rude boaters.

I just got a good lesson in mind your own business at the ramp the other day. Some people were trying to get their pontooner on the trailer, obviously to wrap up the season as it was evident they dont do this every weekend. They were having a heck of a time, so, tying to be helpful, I stepped up on one of the bunks to help guide it on. SNAP!! Oh crap, thats what I get for trying to be a nice guy. I could tell by the way its snapped it was as rotten as could be, and they were very gracious, but I still felt like a dope. Next time, I'll just mind my own business.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 2:32pm
"If you can't beat them, invite them"

Thats what I tell everyone when they complain about somebody. Most people just do not have a clue.

I challenge you to take a stopwatch out next time you ski. The contest is to be back to the skier. You can do it two ways. Full throttle, out of control back to the skier or you let the boat settle in the water and idle back.

There isn't much difference. I always idle back. Only about 10% of ski boat drivers can speed it back and be under control at the point where the skier is. If they are hurt it won't matter how fast you get back to them if you run them over.

I can't wait for gas to be $6.00 again, it keeps the tubers off.

Tim

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 5:38pm
I'm fortunate to live on a large lake. Regardless, it never fails though we'll be tucked in a smooth cove with the boom out and a footer in the water and the biggest damn Mastercrap will come rolling in pulling the weekest damned boarder who simply rides back behind the boat. They'll even make a point to come between us and shore which is pretty close. We use to have somewhat of a echelon were footers had the right of way, then competitive level skiers. Now we're becoming over ran with wake rats and copetition tubers. I enjoy watching boarders do flips and exibition, but is it really necessary to have perfect "butter" or glass to do so?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 6:07pm

I enjoy watching boarders do flips and exibition, but is it really necessary to have perfect "butter" or glass to do so?

This is another topic, and the answer is no but that goes for all watersports disciplines as well.

To avoid the powerturners (turning the boat around under power) I just stay off the water or suck it up and ski through it. 95% idiots out there if I went around trying to educate our local boaters I wouldn't have time to ski myself. It's not worth it, they keep coming. This is exactly why Johnny bought a Barefoot Nautique and not another Ski Nautique.

I'm also no longer surprised by people who can't spell or do simple mathematics, but graduated high school, can't figure out a 4-way stop sign intersection, but passed driver's education. Let's face it, we live in a world predominantly full of ignorants. I at least try to stay out of people's way when I don't know what I'm doing.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 6:15pm

but is it really necessary to have perfect "butter" or glass to do so?

no but..what better sensation than to hear the board edging and cuting that butter style water... kinda like snowboarding in virgin off track snow after a big snowfall, or like getting that 10 foot wave in the pipeline!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 7:42pm
HW really nailed the argument dead on.. Unless you live on a closed lake with a few boats can you even begin to educate anyone, especially in the Midwest and Northern states.. There's no way there's enough time in the day/boating season....
For over 40 years of my young life we got our butts up early and skied and then hung out for the rest of the day until again at dusk. The comments about skiing on butter "during the day", yeah, maybe on a Tuesday afternoon on most bodies of water with pubic access.
The weekend warrior will never change... And lets face facts, the footers and even skiers are rapidly being replaced by riders and surfers.. Got to adapt I guess, or take up golf....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 7:55pm
we get those kinda problems down here also..in our delta not to many rivers are allowed to ski..so the popular ones are really messy on the weekends..only able to find a good set during week days (except fridays) and early until 10 am or past 7.30 pm during the week days...these are 30 minutes away from were most of the marinas are..If you want a good quiet place to ski the week end then you need to cruise for at least 1 hour or so...and plan on taking extra fuel for the return as the only gas station in the middle of the way sell crappy fuel at even worts price 20% up than the gas station on the marinas..that are 10-15% up from the land gas stations!!
I guess all around the worlds Its the same issues with careless no clue weekend boaters....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 9:49pm
Dave,

I'm all for getting up early or staying late to get the good water, everyone on the lake has a right to use it. Any one on the river or the unlimited HP state lakes can board and surf dusk till dawn, part of the reason I don't.   We do boat at a private lake community, the lake is 300 acres, all the coves are idle speed, there is one 1 1/3 mile straight away to boat in, all counterclockwise.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.936346,-83.785601&spn=0.014988,0.026908&t=h&z=15

I'm all for more people enjoying water sports on the lake. I'd really like the lake to become a ski and boarding hot spot. I'm intrigued by the idea of a "courteous boaters web site" maybe with a section for small lake users.

-Maintaining buffer zones for towed watersports
-Discouraging power turns or useless circles figure 8's (tubers).
-Encouraging wake sports to use the middle of the channel.
-Discouraging multiple wake passes in the same area.
-Encouraging the water sports crowd to be the most friendly and helpful on the lake.
-Ramp etiquette.

I'm sure you guys can think of more, this will be a good winter project.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 10:03pm
Yikes...it must be getting close to winter up north...

HW..pass me another Beam please...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 10:31pm
Then there is always the guy on the edge looking for someone to trip his trigger.   I wouldn't be messing with some guy's truck putting a bumper sticker on, he might take it the wrong way!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic