NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SS Mini Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS Mini Update
    Posted: January-28-2006 at 8:26pm
Man, I wrote this really long post and then accidentally deleted it. GOSH!

Okay, so I'm worn out now and I'll recap. Sorry. It's been a beautiful week here and you know what that made me think of: the SS Mini. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I cleaned my side of the garage today and brought the boat home. It was nice to have it back in the garage. I leaned against the boat and rested my chin on the side and just stared at if for a few minutes, daydreaming.

The kids were excited too. They climbed in while I pushed the boat into the garage and pretended to drive. My two-year-old boy screamed when I took it out. He's missed having the boat around too - every time we crossed the bridge over the lake he'd say "Wanna go on the boat."

Anyway, I'm going to disappoint many of you, but I'm not going to launch into a full restoration/refurbishing project just yet. My objective this summer is to just get the boat skiable. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with the boat yet, and financially it's not the right time for me to start the spending spree. So, I'm only going to do the things required to ski through the summer and put off the big stuff till next year.

So here's my to-do list. All advice is appreciated and welcome from EVERYONE!

#1: Probably the most important. One of the engine mounts is off. Everything is intact, but the engine side of the bracket is completely off the rubber washer and the little clip that holds it all together is missing. I need advice on how to repair this.

#2: Replacing the floor. I'm not going to replace the whole floor, just part of it. There was a 3' x 3' section of plywood behind the doghouse that fell apart when I tugged on it. This will be a quick job - I'm just going to replace it with a piece of cheap plywood just like the one I tossed out. I'll replace the whole floor next year.

#3: Ski pylon. The boat doesn't have one. Should I get an old style one (ring and finger) or the new kind? Where should I get it? How much is this going to set me back?

#4: Wire harness. Got that covered - my brother's making me a new one.

#5: Gauges - already bought them on eBay, just need to install them.

Finally, I'd appreciate a favor from all of you. I'm an aspiring writer and I've published one of my stories online. I'd appreciate it if any of you who have time would read it and let me know what you think. Here's a link: Alter Ego

Thanks for all the help and encouragement!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 9:09pm
dchris; Glad to see ya back on. Glad you got that boat home also. Keep us posted.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 8:06pm
    dchris, its great to see you workin on the boat!! I will still keep sayin that Im still jealous of you! For your info, Jbear is the man to get us rollin!! You have a great piece of history in that boat because it sounds like the kids will never forget it! Heck, I wish I could of ridden in the boat when it was on the trailer being moved around!! The funny part is, I was talking to one of my friends about going down Main street this winter with me in the boat and him driving the truck!!
                         Jeff....
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 8:12pm
Jeff & dchris; Used to keep my boat at home in the garage in Ohio just so my son and I could go out and sit in it during the winter. Unattached garage, no heat, Mrs. jbear thought we were nuts. But my son is 36 (how'd he get so old?) and still remembers. Jeff, you know what great memories dchris and his son are making right now.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 8:15pm
dchris and Jbear. when I was a kid, the loudest boat was the best!!!!!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 8:23pm
Well, this one is darn loud. I love the sound of that motor turning. The best sound in my life, aside from the first noise my children made when they came into this world, was the first time I turned that motor over and it started without a cough. I get all choked up just thinking about it...
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 8:34pm
    Dchris, being your first CC, you will prob keep her a long time!! I like loud (not always though in a ski show) and can relate with ours, they just sound like no others being straight piped! I bet you will keep the boat for a long time to let the kids enjoy using it. Its like a part of the family!! When I bought my 76, the sweet mother couldnt watch me drive off with it since the kids grew up with it. She knows though that I take real good care of it and tell her that. It makes her feel better knowing its being cared for!!
                               Jeff.....
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 8:53pm
Guys; # 1 reason I bought the '80 was , the guy (Dixeelegger) advertised it on this site as "no mufflers, but they are avalible if you want". Needless to say, they are still in my attic. Talk about LOUD. Always get noticed on the ramp for more than having the best lookin' driver, Mrs. jbear.

john

PS for dchris; went on your site and read the story, neat. Sent ya an e-mail there also.
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 9:09pm
    Jbear, did I just read a "LOUD 80 SN NO MUFFLERS"????? COOL! Where there dude!! Keep the cold ones waiting!!!   

Jeff...
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 4:37am
Thanks to everyone who's read my story, plus all the boat encouragement. It's appreciated.

Now, can anyone tell me where to get a ski pylon? I'm inclined to get the new kind...

Also, my exhaust hoses fell apart when I unhooked them from the engine. These should be easy to replace, but I'm curious if anybody has any suggestions as to where to purchase these items. Obviously, SkiDIM is one place to start...
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 8:04pm
   Dchris, make sure you get the corrigated type that is extra flexible for tight bends. The straight stuff just doesnt move. Yours should be 3 inch. Also, check the hoses at the rear exhaust thru hull flanges to the copper pipe. Skidim is a good place to get the hose.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 9:06pm
Jeff, is this the hose you're referring to? Do I use the same stuff for the straight section? It's spendy - 1$ an inch. Oh well.

Any tips on the ski pylon or the motor mount?

Thanks!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 9:38pm
dchris thats the hose, it works well. About the pylon, I have no idea on what to do with that. The motor mount parts can be purchased from skidim as well. They have not changed them. My new 350 has the same mount as the old 302 did, just the brackets were different.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 4:30am
Thanks Jeff!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 7:26pm
   Its my pleasure dchris since we have boats that are sisters!!!!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 7:25pm
I know my little girl would like to see some more pictures of her long lost sister, Jeff... Besides, I could use some good ref pictures.

I took off one of the side panel things (what are they called? gunnels?) and fixed re-stapled the vinyl. It looked great afterward. I tried to take the other one off, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the throttle. Any hints, Jeff or anybody else?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 7:47pm
   Dchris, taking the throttle off is a pain in the butt! Its basically the 3 screws with nuts on the back side, and disconnecting the control cables that are tough. I have had them off several times. If yours is original, it might have the teleflex control instead of the morse control. The 74 had the teleflex and it went in the trash. Getting back to the point, you have to stick your head in behind the control to see whats going on. I also have a digial camera that works finally.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 7:49pm
Oh yeah Dchris, I almost forgot, But I am still jealous of your STOLEN boat!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 7:55pm
Agreed: dchris stole that boat.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 8:03pm
Mine's original - should I get the Morse control? What's that gonna get me?

I'm going to install the gauges in the next week or two.

You guys can call me Dave. It rolls off the tongue a little better...

Can't wait to see more pictures of your Mustang!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 8:18pm
    Dave, get the MV3 control. Its built better, looks better and will run for years. The old telefex control looks like something you would see in a fishing boat. The MV3 is little over $200.00 I believe. The only thing I did was disconnect the reverse safety mechanism because it caused more fatigue than it added for safety.
I will take some pics someday for you, its just kinda buried in the back of our shop and isnt easy to get at.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 2:05pm
How's it different from the MV2, which all I can find at SkiDIM?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 9:08pm
Dave, sorry for my brain cramp, but it is the MV2. Properly adjusted those feel nice and the black knob looks cool. I ripped off the little platic safety device under the knob. I know a lot of guys will say that they put it there for a reason, but where no one unskilled drives the boat, it causes more harm than good-especially when your docking. The one on my 76 is the original Morse control w/o the safety, hense I believe thats where the 2 came about in the MV, but cant be 100% sure.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 6:04pm
Cool thanks! I still haven't figured out how to get the old handle off - it has some kind of set screw in the bottom of it, but I haven't worked it out yet.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 6:33pm
   Yes, if my memory serves right without looking at mine, its a allen screw on the bottom of the handle. Loosen it, then it will pull off. The shaft is splined and the set screw just holds it from popping off. Good luck!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 7:56pm
I've been trying to take a picture of that set screw - it looks like a star head. i'm going to have to buy one - I don't have any small enough.

I got a kerosene heater for the garage today. It was nice and toasty, in spite of the cold and snow.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 8:29pm
    Happy to hear that you have heat!!! Also glad youre workin on her!!!! Must of been one of Jbears magical spells!!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 8:39pm
It's jbears job to keep you guys motivated to work on those beautiful Mustangs so all of us here can enjoy.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2006 at 4:02am
Well, my beautiful Mustangs going to need new/repaired stringers eventually. I pushed my finger right through one of the outside stringers last night!

Thanks jbear, and everyone else who's pushed me to work on the SS Mini.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2006 at 8:12am
Motor mount is fixed - just need a snap ring now.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic