NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Health care

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
Author
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 11:36am
Good Morning
This will probably be my last comment on this thread. We all have our own opinion, based on our life's experiences and what we have been taught. Nobody knows what this new health plan will do to the cost and quality of health care. I just feel that with the government getting this level of control, and dictating (rationing) the level of care and cost, it doesn't look good.

Eric
My dad (and mom) started a business 44 years ago. His reason was to have a place where he could make some money for himself, but also have a good place for people to work. He and his partner would pump septic tanks at night, and make concrete septic tanks during the day. Many nights he, or his partner, would sleep in the mobile office on the picnic table. He was able to start hiring a couple of people and build the company. The company grew into a nice manufacturing operation. One of the things my dad always maintained was good health care for his employees. Another was not laying off employees, like many in our industry do. In our industry, employees are sometimes treated like leased equipment; hire when needed, cut loose when times are slow.
My dad made a good life for himself; a house on the lake, a place in Florida, and a nice salary. He also tithed (pre-tax, sorry Phospher), helped start, and volunteered at, a drug abuse program in town, donated money and product to everyone from food banks to the VFW. He was always looking out for those in need.
He fell (he passed away 7 years ago, cancer) into the category of those who "are the root of the evil" as you so eloquently put it.
So no, I am not feeling sorry for the "rich folk". But I know there are many who, without them, this country of ours would be much worse off.

Now my coffee break is over, and I've got to go and grease the wheels of industry.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 11:58am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

one funny thing is the owner of the company always insisted on me asking permission to the Captains, may i have permission to enter the boat, FT! im doing him a favor, he should say please enter my boat   lol

Eric-

Don't you and your brother own FFM?

Its not always money...its smart choices.

Tim

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Eric
So let me get this strait;
If you made $250,001.00 (adjusted) last year, living in Ohio, you would pay $97,312.56 in taxes next month, and that is not enough?
My bad!

I would be interested in how you came up with this number. When I calculated it using an online tax calculator it was closer to 60k and that is before any write offs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 1:18pm
Married
Federal
$209,250 - 373,650... 33%
$250,001 x 33% = $82,500

State (Ohio)
$200,001 and above... 5.925%
$250,001 x 5.925% = $14812
$14,812 + $82,500 = $97,312
I'm no accountant, but that's what I calculate.

'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 2:12pm
Yeah, that's not right. And I work with a CPA who also verified this with me.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Yeah, that's not right. And I work with a CPA who also verified this with me.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm

Phospher,
You're correct. I did not use the marginal tax bracketing. That's why I'm making concrete.
Eric would be paying $75,092 in federal and state taxes, on taxable income of $250,001. (I think)
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 3:29pm
30% of income to income tax. Then add on property tax, sales tax, etc. and he pays out half or more of his income to various taxes. Many of which go into redistribution of wealth programs. The question, as always, is when is enough enough?

If the "wealthy", like this example, decided they were done with it and left or just stopped paying in, what would happen? What would all those dependent upon government help do to take care of themselves?

They wouldn't have a clue. It would be like domesticating an animal then putting it back out into the wild. Government run social programs do not help people, in my opinion. They make them dependent.

Give a man a fish....
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 3:44pm
http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/26/smallbusiness/employee_costs/index.htm

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 3:46pm
I happen to have a doctor in my family. He actually makes just over 250K a year and let me tell you, he is not hurting for cash and when you go to his huge house it becomes quite clear that he is doing just fine. Never once have I heard him complain that he pays to much in taxes. You paint a false picture when you just lay out the cost of taxes like this. You also have to take into consideration all your write-offs and deductions as you can then significantly reduce your tax burden. Again, my concerns are not with the guys making 250K but with the people bringing in the millions. I would also say that I don't think the wealthy in America are going anywhere any time soon. Some of you have pointed out that Canadians come to the US for health care because there's is so terrible. This is not always the case. A LOT of people come here becuase we have the best doctors. Next time your in a Hospital look around and notice how many Indian doctors there are. Why do they choose to practice in America instead of their native countries? It's because they can earn so much more money here and that is a main reason why America has the best doctors.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 3:54pm
So what happens to the quality of doctor when the government starts dictating prices they can charge, affecting the money they can make? Have you also noticed that a lot of doctors come to America to practice from countries that already have socialized health care?

I know a fair amount of people making somewhere over $200K and yeah, they aren't hurting for cash. I think that's good and I'm happy for them. I don't think, however, that they should have to pay a higher percentage of their earnings in taxes than those that make less though.

I'm a fair tax / flat tax kind of guy. I like exise type taxes the most. That was really how this country started out and they way it should have kept going. Progressive income tax will ultimately cause more problems than solutions.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

So what happens to the quality of doctor when the government starts dictating prices they can charge, affecting the money they can make? Have you also noticed that a lot of doctors come to America to practice from countries that already have socialized health care?

I know a fair amount of people making somewhere over $200K and yeah, they aren't hurting for cash. I think that's good and I'm happy for them. I don't think, however, that they should have to pay a higher percentage of their earnings in taxes than those that make less though.

I'm a fair tax / flat tax kind of guy. I like exise type taxes the most. That was really how this country started out and they way it should have kept going. Progressive income tax will ultimately cause more problems than solutions.

I think you bring up a valid point when you ask about the quality of health care. But I also think the doctors pay would have to go way down for this to happen.

I agree, I'm happy for the people who have worked hard and earn that kind of money too.

I disagree about the Progressive income tax. If you set a flat tax, let's just say 25%, I think that the burden of a 25% tax on a family making 40K a year is much greater than the burden on a family making 250K a year. The difference could be that the 40K a year family will not be able to afford to send their kid to college, while the burden on the family making 250K is that they will not be able to afford their 4th sports car or that second home mortgage.

Don't get me wrong, I sure as hell am not willing to give away 50% of my income to taxes either...and I think you have to draw the line somewhere too. I think you hit the nail on the head before when you mentioned we share some of the same opinions but differ on social programs, taxes, and religion. After all, having these differences and being able to voice them is what makes this country great.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 10:43pm
Tim, thats when I worked for Great Lakes Power,

the more land you own, the more tax you pay,

Tull, I think im talking a different category than you, lets say the income starts at a million, those are the guys that should be taxed more and i couldnt explain the burden any better than Phil on the above post.
really the only income obtained in those ranges are CEO's, or in some type of sales...unless you have the ability to sing???? thats the ones im talking about.
with the business i pay i pay i pay and wish i didnt have too, but thats whats dealt and i understand it, and in the grand scheme i knew that going into it and i dont let it bother me because at times it doesnt seem worth it, its enough to buy a new CC, but "tis the land we live in"
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 12:01am
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

I think you hit the nail on the head before when you mentioned we share some of the same opinions but differ on social programs, taxes, and religion. After all, having these differences and being able to voice them is what makes this country great.

And site and the guys on here...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 11:41am
I can only use examples, when it was mandated here in Ohio that you had to have car Insurance, 10 companies popped up creating competion, more were insured and the rates went down....maybe a crude annalogy but, its apples to apples,
Tull, on my personals im in a creative tax bracket and recieve almost all of my personal income tax back, i keep asking the accountant are you sure? but on the business I pay out the ass, real estate, unemployment, workers comp, payroll, state, . The tax system is pretty confusing. but the more you make the more you hide, basic instinct is only aggravated by the more part.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 12:39pm
The exact people who get hit the hardest with this fiasco are the same folks who create jobs(small business owners are a big % here). If I have 58 employees, you can bet I'll whittle that down to 49. If I want to expand, I'll wait and see for now. Big companies(Caterpiller, Sprint, Etc) are already saying how much this will cost them.

And what the heck happened to the stimulus package?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 12:45pm
one thing I dont like is the 30 billion dollar fee from the bailouts would available to loan to small business, just what i need to borrow more money, turn it into grants, spur the fcin economy, been using that word alot lately, hope no offense is taken...hand me 100k and it will be re-invested out into the community....responsibly, might squeeze in a new Mercedes
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 12:56pm
actually, 100k would bring me current, and it would allow me to spur different avenues of business, for instance it would give me capital to buy and sell, possibly hire someone for the office which we use to be able to afford and free up another man...its a shame what has happened the last 3 years. playing catch up is killing the small business guy, it turned everyone into whores (competition) the sht i was doing for 80 bucks an hour 3 years ago turned into 50.00 an hour and is very scarce. alot of accounts we had are supplying thier own parts and the knuckleheads who keep lowering thier hourly rates keep getting the work, but no parts sales. my point of view on that is if you do 50.00 an hour work you will be sought out and will fall into that groove and stay there, and basically all you are doing is maintaining not prospering, our sales are down by roughly half but the business is geared for twice that and i see alot of guys fall in that category, i was talking to the guy that leases space from me, He busted 120k 2 years ago doing flat rate, he is down to 50k but he is personally geared to that 120k, 2 new vehicles which one he traded down to a Toyota and the other is on borderline payments....thats why he is working his normal 8 everyday and working untill 2 in the morning at night...i really pitty him because i know what he is going thru, but he made his bed, and chances are he will never see 120 again....but one thing he is learning is how to run a business and how aggravating it can be and he is starting to understand the bottem line...he is pulling work form 15 miles away only because he is doing it for half price...he is working harder not smarter, but he is starting to realize that he is not making money
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 1:02pm
Stimulus??? Remember the shovel ready jobs BS? With 27% unemployment in the construction business, what happened to the money? How much infrastructure rebuilding is going on in your area? Why not invest in stuff that will help keep our money in the US, like Nuclear plants, oil refineries, etc? I think the stimulus stimulated a bunch of gvt worker jobs, just like the health care bill.....159 NEW gvt agencies! Oh, that is good for the taxpayer. We are on the road to bankruptcy. China is slowing down on buying our debt this week, Moody's is considering lowering our AAA rating. Which means we will have to pay more interest to get folks to fund our debt. Viscous cycle....as more of our GDP goes to debt service. Coupled with more and more gvt work running our economy. Not rocket science!

Nothing will get better until we bring our debt to the surface and deal with it. You cant spend your way out of debt.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 1:14pm

actually, 100k would bring me current, and it would allow me to spur different avenues of business, for instance it would give me capital to buy and sell, possibly hire someone for the office which we use to be able to afford and free up another man...its a shame what has happened the last 3 years. playing catch up is killing the small business guy, it turned everyone into whores (competition) the sht i was doing for 80 bucks an hour 3 years ago turned into 50.00 an hour and is very scarce. alot of accounts we had are supplying thier own parts and the knuckleheads who keep lowering thier hourly rates keep getting the work, but no parts sales. my point of view on that is if you do 50.00 an hour work you will be sought out and will fall into that groove and stay there, and basically all you are doing is maintaining not prospering, our sales are down by roughly half but the business is geared for twice that and i see alot of guys fall in that category, i was talking to the guy that leases space from me, He busted 120k 2 years ago doing flat rate, he is down to 50k but he is personally geared to that 120k, 2 new vehicles which one he traded down to a Toyota and the other is on borderline payments....thats why he is working his normal 8 everyday and working untill 2 in the morning at night...i really pitty him because i know what he is going thru, but he made his bed, and chances are he will never see 120 again....but one thing he is learning is how to run a business and how aggravating it can be and he is starting to understand the bottem line...he is pulling work form 15 miles away only because he is doing it for half price...he is working harder not smarter, but he is starting to realize that he is not making money

And to top it off, the gvt is printing money at a record rate and when inflation kicks in your 50/hr will spend like $30. But, you will have health care reform and a lot of gvt workers to "help" you!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 1:17pm
I do see the signs all up and down the freeway...but no working... funding provided by: "the recovery program"
when you borrow, you need some type of collateral, and our freedoms are the collateral. We keep borrowing with promises, but little by little, a piece of the pie is dis-appearing....who is doing the laughing?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 1:22pm
Im really seeking out hydroponics, even though i dont do that, but it seems to generate income...legalize the sht already!!!!!!
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 1:51pm
What we all need is more people with their own money, so they can buy boats. The poorer Americans get, the less they have to piss away on boating!

Beautiful day today! Going for a mountain bike ride, maybe ski on Sunday!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 1:58pm
What happened to the stimulas? That's the scary part because for however many trillion, we didn't get much. In Maine, our roads, bridges and public buildings are falling apart. We have gotten stimulas funds though.

Portland just got $500k to fight obesity, even though 40 something teachers are being layed off.

Steep Falls, a blink your eye and you're through it old New England village got $60k for a skate board park.

The Absintinean Church, (one of the 1st Afro American churches in the country and a private non profit) got almost $100k for a new roof.

The Irish Heritage Center, (another private non profit) got $100k for their new roof.

And the railroad got $20M or or was it $40M to extend Amtrak from Portland to Brunswick Maine.

None of these projects is a wise use of our tax dollars. But, we're all going to be paying for it for the rest of our lives. I can't wait to see how they spend the health care money.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 2:02pm
Afro American? in Maine? didnt California just lose 21,000 teachers?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 2:03pm
BOAT doesnt stand for bring out another thousand anymore
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 2:06pm
Bruce, Portland got 500K???? what did they did, buy a duct tape factory to tape the mouths shut?
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 2:39pm

Im really seeking out hydroponics, even though i dont do that, but it seems to generate income...legalize the sht already!!!!!!

I happen to agree. We waste way too much money on the drug wars. We can't even keep drugs out of prisons, do they really think they can keep them off the streets? Legalize it and tax it. I think we're well on our way and hopefully California will pass legislation come November.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 2:51pm
I am still confused. Why do people seem to think they deserve to live like the wealthy, whether they are wealthy or not.

The guy who made 120K and chose to spend his money on two new cars. This was his choice. Why wasn't he instead spending the money to ensure that his kids did better than he did?

In my opinion, America offers the opportunity for generations to move forward leaps and bounds over the previous generation. But this only works if the previous generation is content with their own lives, and only if we set an expectation with our kids that they will do better than we do. That's not on the government. That is on every parent of every child. If instead of worrying about their kids, they are instead worried about jewelry, flashy cars, expensive boats, houses that are bigger than they need, etc. then there is a good chance the kids end up in the same spot as the parents.

In my family, neither of my grandfathers graduated high school. One was orphaned at 5, ran away from the orphanage at 15 and lied about his age to join the Navy. He did 30 years in the Navy, and another 20 in Naval shipyards. Retired with 2 pensions and lived another 30 years. He was able to ensure that niether of his kids bore financial burden for him, and left behind a modest home, fully paid, as inheritance.

The other grandfather came to California in the Oklahoma dustbowl. Straight out of the Grapes of Wrath. He worked at whatever it took. Driving Trucks, Auto Mechanic, whatever.    My Father graduated at the top of his high school and was accepted to Berkeley. No money so he went to work. His only sister was 17 years younger. By the time she graduated from High School, there was some money, and she was able to go to college.

On to my generation. When I went to college, there were 4 kids, and my Dad made a wopping 28K per year as a Service Manager at auto dealerships. I paid for college myself. I did take 20K in loans which I paid off-on time. I worked for 5 years and went back to law school. Our benevolent government made me spend my 401K retirement savings before I could qualifiy for loans. I still borrowed another 50K to get through law school, and worked nights in a grocery store stocking shelves while doing it. Still, I made it through 2 college degrees, paid for them myself, and paid off every penny of debt. There was never any other choice. I had been raised to do better than my Dad.

All three of my siblings went to college. Only one of three graduated, and frankly, she struggles more than the rest. Still, these were their choices. They had the opportunity. No one else should pay for their choices.

I have done well, not great, but well. I fully expect my daughter to do better than me. When I went to college, I went to get a better job than my dad, and that is exactly what I got. I had no guidance, no examples. I have since realized that other students had parents who had already gone to college, had already acquired some wealth. They understood that college was not just about getting a better job. It was about networks and relationships that would make them wealthy. I fully expect my daughter to benefit from my experience.

If people would spend less time worrying about what others have, less time trying to take from others, less time trying to keep up with Joneses when they cannot, and more time trying to take advantage of the opportunities that they have, we'd all be better off.

Free thoughts from the soap box.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 2:53pm
I have to say, I tend to agree with Eric and Phospher (boy, that was strange). There is something behind that idea. Legalize it and tax the heck out of it, like booze.
I was in Amsterdam, where it is legal (I did not partake). One of the friendliest cities I've ever visited. The only bar fight I saw was at booze bar. Everyone was too happy at the "coffee" bar.
One of the costly problems I foresee is having to add a minimum to all speed limit signs.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 3:02pm
Tull,the girls or the hemp,
Bk, good ole boy from alabama...nothing against him but he has no conception what a 401k is. he is slowly coming around to ericnomics...dont have a great month and blow it on stupid sht, set it aside for the bad months, if it was salery thats one thing...flat rate is too unpredictible..and i do remember him bragging and showing his pay stubs to my guy...and my favorite saying....how ya like me now?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
  Share Topic