NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1 wire alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 7:45pm
   Jim, you certainly are taking the batton and running with it! Good job with the last post! I am glad we are both keeping ourselves on our toes! Im sure Jbear will be passed out on the floor after reading all of this!! The thing about theory is that no matter how technical a circuit is, you can keep going and going on different aspects of it that are irrealevent(sp) of the situation. I enjoy this and it also keeps me on my toes because I have not been doing much work requiring hard core thoery, just doing more manual labor due to a large tower job we took on.
   As far as your boat goes, you will find the #10 goes to the ammeter on the dash from the alt, then back to the breaker. I like your observation about the cicuit interupter and not a breaker. I would of not caught that if you didnt mention it. Are you gonna rewire your boat and run a #4 wire too??? lol/ The best part of these post is I hope if someone reads them, they will be more cautious when adding accys and wont just run a wire of improper size and unprotected. Shorcuts can get you in trouble as I wired a temporary 12v power outlet in my parents new 85 Astro conversion van a long time ago to go on a trip, and leave it to me, I said that I will go to the fuseblock with a fusetap and tap it on the 20a fused side so I dont need another inline fuseholder there. Well to make a long story short, just prior to ripping it out after the trip, my sister folded the rear seat back, cut the wire, and the #14 burned from the rear to the front. It destroyed the fuseblock, carpet, etc the van died, almost caught fire, and took me 2 days to fix it all because I was too lazy to put a inline fuseholder in, and made a mistake by tapping into the feed side of the fuse on the fuseblock...Not a way to learn!! Dont be lazy!!!
    Jim, before I end, did you ever think that maybe tony posted this on purpose to see a possible battle??? He isnt far from Jbear you know, and you know he loves it!
    Lucky that Jbear is gone home for a short trip, or we might be having to help after he reads all this. Maybe Tony should change the topic of this post.
    What I really wonder is how many actually read all of this to the end????
    Jbear will have to take a day off when he returns for all of this!!!
    Sorry again Tony!!! Hope you got it figured out, cause we sure dont!! If I could send ya a cold one via email right now I would! Well..... Im going to have to email Jbaer a case!!! Isnt this site awesome!!!

Jeff....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

Jeff made me do it.

Maybe we shouldnt end this thread just yet???
                         Jeff....
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by JEFF KOSTIS JEFF KOSTIS wrote:

On new GM trucks, they use a #4 on their alternators, since they have gone to a one wire system themselves.

Don't beleive this is quite right, a 10 gauge wire, but not a 4 gauge wire, GM has used a single wire since the development of the SI series of alt(which is about twenty years old now) and before that it was really a one wire system but there wire two wires going in a common connector and one was just bascily a ground.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2006 at 6:57pm
   79, my 99 G3500 van, 2000 G2500 van, and 96 K3500 pickup have the new series alt, and has a huge wire (appears to be a #4 visually, but I havent sripped one to find out exactly) that goes directly to the batt terminal through a fusible link. All of our throttle body injection trucks used the older style, and the newer multi-port engines used the new style single wire alt. This doesnt mean all were like that because I cant be sure of that, but I know our company trucks (GM) have the heavy duty alternators, and maybe the other are different. I believe they list 3 different alternators for the 99 van. Also I dont recall being SI series alternators, I thought they were called CS or something.
                        Jeff...
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 8:53am
TONY!!!!!!!!: please do not get these guys goin' anymore. I am running out of Beam. Out to the ABC store or call 911. My brain is froze up. How was your ride? I am gonna pass on Daytona (to busy) but I hear there is lots goin' on at Orlando. I have guest coming in for Tribe Spring Training this weekend but may go for an evening ride.
Again: please consider my mental health (fragile) before starting any more electrical posts!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 7:52pm
    Jbear, I will take total responsibility for your mental heath on these posts. I heard the brewing companies sold record numbers those days!!

Originally posted by tonydjd tonydjd wrote:

I think I will go buy A mastercraft now.

Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

Jeff made me do it.

Well, I guess it didnt just affect you...
                               Jeff....
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 7:58pm
Gee, after that electrical engineering course my second year of college I swore I'd never look at those equations again. Guess I was wrong BKH
Livin' the Dream

tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2006 at 5:02pm
Done thanks for all the insight now that my head hurt's 60 amp alt with 70 amp fuse #6 wire from alt to breaker # 6 from breaker to solenoid # 8 from breaker to dash hot.

no I am not running anything other then factory installed items from the dash hot. The stereo and the amp are coming from second battery. I have a colhersee continous duty solenoid which is normally open it close when I turn on ignition which allows both of the batteries to charge hope this makes sense to all you rocket scientist out there in cyber space.

Hope to see some of you in Orlando this year
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2006 at 5:27pm
Tony; How was Daytona?
Please, no more of these electrical posts! My mental state cannot take it.
You mentioned Orlando. Got any info on dates yet? We gotta get a banner or something to draw guys from this site. Gonna take your boat? Of course I will. Maybe we should meet up along I-4 and enter together, park side-by-side and get up a sign or banner.
Let me know. It'll be here before we know it.
Hi to the Mrs. for us.
Be safe on the job.

john

ps; to long should've just e-mailed. sorry
"Loud pipes save lives"

tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2006 at 8:04pm
May 13, 2006 - Orlando, Florida - Sea World

June 10, 2006 - San Antonio, Texas - Sea World

June 24, 2006 - Sandusky, Ohio - Cedar Point

September 9, 2006 - California - Six Flags

That sure would be sweet hanging a correctcraftfan banner I'm sure there will be a banner from PN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2006 at 8:39pm
Tony; Ok plan on May 13th

There was something there last year from PN so...this year we will have something from C/CFAN!

Did you get anything yet on sign-ups?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2006 at 6:03pm
Well took the boat out for a spin the new alternator works great even had the volt meter on the dash reading correctly thank's for all the great advice.

Next issue small amout of fuel leak looks like it's coming from either the small bowl screw on bottom or maybe the accelerator plunger gasket any advice on which it usually is. (Holley Carb)

Also boat did not want to refire after shutdown not even a click. Move the throttle back in forth then she fired I believe it's the neutral switch any advice looks like there is no corrosion I guesss I will just adjust it. Just wanted some advice before I touch anything.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2006 at 7:48pm
    Glad to hear the outcome!! As far as the NSS, it is prob getting tired as they do get intermittent and fail quite frequently. Check to verify the trans shift lever is in fact in neutral when the control is in neutral. You can confirm by jumping the wires out on the switch with a clip lead, or move one wire over to the same screw effectively connecting the 2 wires together if the problem arises again.

Jeff..
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2006 at 7:53pm
Thanks Jeff the switch is pretty old I think I keep a jumper wire on board until I install a new one. I definately would not trust my wife or son starting the boat without the neautral safety switch.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2006 at 8:20pm
    Tony, dont I wish I had this site a few years back when I was rebuilding the 74! I had to learn the hard way, slowing things down BIG TIME as I was just starting on it.
    I am pleased to see things are good. Looks like there is no need for a seperate voltmeter line. I have a hard time with whats considered "acceptable" when I know its marginal. Nice work, and sorry for the shrink, and the need for extra drinks!! Especially poor Jbear!!!!!!
                                   Jeff...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic