NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 16>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 12:57pm
Will Sea Foam or any other product help speed up the water removal?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 1:16pm

There's some funny reading in this thread. Not funny for Vondy, but hopefully the issue is all taken care of, and all you need is another oil flush.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 2:00am
Hay Vond! I did, check yours out. be careful with seafoam very good product, just dont put to much in, will loosen up stuff you didnt even know you had. hope you make the water by the 4th if not give me a call and head north good luck!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 4:05am
I'm thinking this is much better. Going to flush one more time tomorrow night. Y'all think 3 is enough? Will I ever get all the water out by flushing alone?

Still can't get her up to temp in the yard. Ran her for a good hour today.

If the 3rd flushing looks clear I'll put the good stuff in and take her for a spin.

Jeff, not seeing an email from you. Did you send it directly to my address? Thanks for the offer, but hopefully as far north as I will be going is Arkansas to my brother's for the 4th. Don't think I could handle those cold Michigan lakes I wouldn't mind seeing some of those Separators though...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 9:03am
David,
Looks like you found the problem! The lake test will tell for sure. You may not get it up to temp in the yard. No load. The lake test will tell and confirm your water/oil issue.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 10:13pm
after running it for a while any water left will evaporate through the gas vents... or you could flush it one more time.

glad you seem to have solved the issue.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 5:32pm
Back again. Water in oil.

Last weekend had her out twice. Ran fine. Oil nice and clean.

Brought it 4 hours to my brothers house. Checked oil before we went out and looked good. Had a few hours of lake time and she ran great. Had a nice run on the way back, huge smooth lake. She was around 3000 rpm and running nice. Temp was good, etc. Put her in this morning, checked the oil and there it was! Water once again. On the PCV valve as well.

Pulled the plugs and no water in the cylinders.

I have no idea! Makes no sense to me why it was fine for two days of boating and now I'm back where I started.

Now I have a 1600 lb paper weight to tow 4 hrs home.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2010 at 12:57pm
We checked compression, 155 - 140.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 1:29pm
The consensus between the two mechanical engineers and car restorer is it's the head gasket. The theory is that the extra drive time on the lake Friday was enough to heat up and expand whatever problem was caused by the overheating. Guess the only next step is to pull the heads.

Thoughts?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 3:13pm
Head gaskets are cheaper and easier to do than getting a new motor.

I've been there done that with the 1 ton paperweight sucking gas as well.

Hopefully you can get her fixed soon.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 7:48pm
While the heads are off have them checked for flatness. A long shot but you never know!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 9:23pm
My thought was to have the heads machined and replace the gasket. This is assuming there is evidence of a blown head gasket and/or uneven surface.

I'm assuming if I have the heads machined then all the valves, springs, etc. would have to come out. Correct? Would this be a feasible do-it-yourself job for me, someone who has not done it before? And at that point should you have a valve job done as well?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 9:49pm
Before spending any money on the heads, have the pressure tested. Then you'll know if they are worth working on them or need replacement.

But first, the intake needs to come out again, so first recheck there.

Good luck.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 10:11pm
David,
I'm sorry to hear that the problem is still there. I still don't like what showed up in the pictures you posted earlier with the way the intake fit to the valley. The RTV clearly showed high on one end and low on the other indicating a misalignment with the heads/block. Have you shown those pictures to your friends? Chris, I know you saw them but only commented on the overuse of the RTV. Did you notice the high/low?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 10:29pm
Pete I have a hard time believing it's the fitting of the intake. Not saying it's not possible but that thing sure seem to fit nice and snug. I did a dry fit and saw no problems. Was very careful placing it back on, used 6 guide on bolts, placed a good bead of RTV right on the edges of the water ports. Torqued it down immediately in the right sequence in several passed, re-torquing after an hour. It just all seemed to fit just right. I'll take a lot of good pics when I remove again.

Does it not seem strange that there was no trace of water in the oil after two lake trips?

Thanks guys.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 10:37pm
Here's a pic of the dry fit from the rear.

P1010312
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 11:26pm
what Pete means is that you are not getting the water ports correctly aligned.

What heads are on those H&M engines?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

what Pete means is that you are not getting the water ports correctly aligned.

What heads are on those H&M engines?

No idea on the heads. I'm sure someone here knows.

As for the water ports, I pulled the two plugs off of the intake right over the front ports once installed, shined a light in there to verify everything was aligned correctly.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 12:17am
The heads will have stampings (raised cast numbers and letters) on them.    IIRC, these are in between the valves and an be seen by taking the valve covers off.

Decking (milling) heads does not require the valves to be taken out.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 11:02am
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

The heads will have stampings (raised cast numbers and letters) on them.    IIRC, these are in between the valves and an be seen by taking the valve covers off.

Sorry wrong markings to be looking at, casting numbers are on the underside and the heads have to be removed to see them.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 12:45pm
the heads on H Ms are closed chamber DOOE castings one of the best stock heads for ford till the gp 40s. if you come across any, stock pile them just sold a used set for 400 bones. sorry to hear your still having the proublem vond. jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 1:30pm
I suspect that may be the case on the HM 351w's (290hp) but I dont think the 302's (especially the 210hp 2bbl) were anything special.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 1:34pm
The D0OE's have to be worked on but they will preform better than gt40's if you know what needs massaged to get them there.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 2:38pm
The date codes are under the valve covers, but the ID code is underneath, near the push rod holes.

I highly doubt D0OE heads came on a 302.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 2:43pm

The date codes are under the valve covers, but the ID code is underneath, near the push rod holes.

I highly doubt D0OE heads came on a 302.

I doubt you know what the hell your talking about. So please go away as your wrong again just like on the FE thread.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 2:46pm
proof?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 2:57pm

proof?

have you actaully ever held a set in your hands DA no you haven't so please STFU. They came out in 69 on the 302.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 3:17pm
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 3:20pm
1970 D0OE heads on 302 is an unconfirmed application. No one has proven they came stock on one. Did you personally take a pair off a factory unmolested 302? If so, what model? You are not talking about a boss 302 are you?
I've been around a lot of ford muscle cars.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Proof for Ahole, DH, DA, FI you pick the discription

pay attention to the - letter very important if you want the best cast iron heads.

sorry Tim smaller CC means higher compression, and with the same size valves guess what flows better, not p's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 16>
  Share Topic