NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 16>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

1970 D0OE heads on 302 is an unconfirmed application. No one has proven they came stock on one. Did you personally take a pair off a factory unmolested 302? If so, what model? You are not talking about a boss 302 are you?
I've been around a lot of ford muscle cars.

yea you've repeatedly told us what F n little you know about ford engines daily, so go crawl back under your rock and shut the hell up.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 3:25pm
Chris, you are so nice.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 3:26pm

Chris, you are so nice.
I'm so soo so soo so tired of your crap and piss poor information that never adds anything to a thread.

BTW if you ever actaully see a set 302 is cast on them DA, trust me I've actually held them in my hands, so YES I DO KNOW WTF I'M TALKING ABOUT.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 3:57pm
I've seen that cast "302" under the VC in the heads, but, that does not necessarily mean they were actually used on 302's.

What engineering does and what actually gets produced are not always the same.

You are not right all the time either. Nobody is perfect, even you can't be right all the time.

I think you just need a hug.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 4:12pm

I've seen that cast "302" under the VC in the heads, but, that does not necessarily mean they were actually used on 302's.

What engineering does and what actually gets produced are not always the same.

You are not right all the time either. Nobody is perfect, even you can't be right all the time.

I think you just need a hug.

CAUTION ALL MEMBERS.

THIS GUY REPEATEDLY GIVE's BAD INFORMATION THAT SHOULD NOT BE USED.

FWIW I get hugs daily.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 4:47pm
Chris, my info is as reliable as a GM motor. ;)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 5:02pm

Chris, my info is as reliable as a GM motor. ;)

no the GM motors are light years ahead of your brain's capabilities.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 5:55pm
Motors have no IQ. I however tested very high on all the tests I have taken in HS and college.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 6:43pm
So to get back on topic here, we would all like to know what the holman-moody 302 heads were for sure.. I am not sure they wouldnt use the same heads they had around for the 351's just because they had them.

Now I hate to be the downer but I don't see how if the thing has good compression and runs good that the head gasket is leaking and water is getting in the oil. It would have to go through the cylinders to get to the oil and that is not something that usually allows it to run well. Since you are pulling the heads would it be horrible to pull the whole engine and while it is out to pull the pan and look down into the bottom of the cylinders.. you will of course examine the top portion while the heads are off. In my experience otherwise good running engines that make water make it through a crack in the intake manifold or in the water jacket of the block. If it is a cylinder the crack would be below the area where the rings travel, I have seen this 3 times personally 2 cracks and once where the wrist pin was loose and wore through. When the crack was higher in the cylinder there was compression and running issues.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 6:55pm
I still say it's the intake based on previous photo's, Six alignment guides are a bit much, shouldn't use any just asking for trouble if you do.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I still say it's the intake based on previous photo's, Six alignment guides are a bit much, shouldn't use any just asking for trouble if you do.

Not sure how using guide bolts could be a bad thing?

If it is the intake then something is out of wack other than the installation.

I'm working on getting a mechanic friend over to take a look while I pull things apart. He's and older guy so I suppose he has experience with these older engines.

It's funny... the younger guy my wife works with who apparently rebuilds older cars and engines, who I thought might be able to give me a hand, knows nothing about carbs or timing. How can you claim to be able to rebuild and engine over the weekend but not know how to tune a carb? I know he uses electronic ignition but seems like you would have started with carbs at some point.

Anyway... the good compression and lack of water in the cylinders does not really scream head gasket I guess. What makes the most sense being that we had two good days of running without water in the oil?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 8:29pm
David,
Do you have the parts manual? I wonder if there's any details in it on the heads? If not, maybe Reid can find out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
Do you have the parts manual? I wonder if there's any details in it on the heads? If not, maybe Reid can find out?

I have the owners manual. Of course it's for the 4V engine. There's some info on the heads but I don't recall seeing anything as far as part numbers.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Since you are pulling the heads would it be horrible to pull the whole engine and while it is out to pull the pan and look down into the bottom of the cylinders.. you will of course examine the top portion while the heads are off. In my experience otherwise good running engines that make water make it through a crack in the intake manifold or in the water jacket of the block. If it is a cylinder the crack would be below the area where the rings travel

This is a very true chance, I'd first inspect the intake installation, then the heads, and then cylinders/block

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,

Parts manual is pretty slim,it says head assembly "no part number",and besides it would be an HM number not Fords.When I took my engine apart it had 2 different head castings on it,one being a D0OE and I know that even the block was replaced at one time.My engine was also a 2bbl like Davids,so somewhere along the line it was heavely molested, who knows what has been changed on his with out checking.Is it possible that he has a pourous intake manifold casting?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 9:57pm

Proof for Ahole, DH, DA, FI you pick the discription

pay attention to the - letter very important if you want the best cast iron heads.

sorry Tim smaller CC means higher compression, and with the same size valves guess what flows better, not p's

Actually the suffix in the casting number shows you the application. So, your DOOE-B is the 302 casting and the DOOE-C and DOOE-G casting were for the 351. Back in the early days Ford Muscle Parts actually had you using the 351 casting and you could change to their larger I think 1.88 intakes and 1.62 exhausts and recommended them on a 302 with their available pop up piston which brought compresion in at about 10.5. This was their hot ticket at the time.

Seriously doubt if the 69 mustang with a 302 had a DOOE-B casting head on it when it left the factory as that was a 1970 model engineering change. With all the head problems that they had in those days I would guess they easily could have been replaced very early on in the cars warranty years if you pulled them off a 69.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by PAPA PAPA wrote:

Seriously doubt if the 69 mustang with a 302 had a DOOE-B casting head on it when it left the factory as that was a 1970 model engineering change.

Not only that but my boat left Correct Craft in December of 68 and while Ford already had the 302 out,it had a 289 in it. I think David's tho had a 302 from the begining.

After rereading this thread,I wonder if his problem goes back to when he found that temp freeze plug in the bilge.Did it freeze this winter poping that plug and cracking the exhaust?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 10:55am

Seriously doubt if the 69 mustang with a 302 had a DOOE-B casting head on it when it left the factory as that was a 1970 model engineering change. With all the head problems that they had in those days I would guess they easily could have been replaced very early on in the cars warranty years if you pulled them off a 69.

I seriously doubt you have actually held a D0OE-B casting in your hand otherwise you would know that there are date codes cast on it as well, none of which are from the 70's. All of you can speculate all that you want but none of you have actaully had the heads in your possision or hands. Well one other person has but I doubt he looked that close at them, as I suspect his engine builder has all ready installed them on his engine.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 11:41am
Gary I drained the manifolds and block long before any freeze came around. That temp freeze plug was falling apart. I believe it failed on it's own. I think the exhaust gave way from the overheating.

But then again that's just my thoughts. It's possible there still was water left over in the block. I did not flush antifreeze in it, just drained.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 11:56am
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Not sure how using guide bolts could be a bad thing?

If it is the intake then something is out of wack other than the installation.

I've never used guide bolts to install an intake. If you do you force the intake this way or that and do not allowing it to self-center in the vee like it has too. I also feel your are not sealing the water jacket correctly or using fel-pro gaskets.

Blown head gaskets and cracked blocks the leaks are always there cause drivability issues and bright white sprak plugs.

it runs fine one day and then the next there's water in the oil, so basicly a couple of thermocycles and it's toast, screams intake to me, blown head gasket the engine progressively gets worse, supposedly it runs ok, little stumble big deal, if it ran rough all the time, then head gasket might be it but it's not running rough or inconsistant.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 12:51pm
I did use fel-pro this time.

Maybe there is a leak in the intake that only shows up under pressure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 1:23pm
new intake doubtfull, besides you would be able to see it no hidden passages on an intake.

did you add a bead of RTV on bothsides of the gasket and on all four waterjacket ports? last picture I saw it was real thin, what did you torque the bolts too?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 1:41pm

new intake doubtfull, besides you would be able to see it no hidden passages on an intake.

did you add a bead of RTV on bothsides of the gasket and on all four waterjacket ports? last picture I saw it was real thin, what did you torque the bolts too?

Good thick bead of RTV only on the intake side, on top of the gasket after sticking it to the head using gasgacinch. All 4 ports.

Torqued to 20lbs.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:01pm
Basically he is following the felpro installation tips (fit) guidelines, although they only recommend 4 guide pins be used there is no reason 6 would be an issue. It is the correct way to install the intake and make sure all the ports stay in line. I think you are barking up the wrong tree there Chris.   

What can i say the damn thing is a sticky wicket i would have tore it down the the block by now and magnafluxed everything but I can understand trying to avoid that ..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Good thick bead of RTV only on the intake side, on top of the gasket after sticking it to the head using gasgacinch. All 4 ports.

Torqued to 20lbs.

Like I said hire it out, we're on round three round four now?

nothing goes on the head but RTV around the four ports, you use RTV on both sides of the gasket, you don't use the cork crap, you RTV both ribs, you RTV all four corners where the gasket meets the ribs after teh gasket is installed flush and flat on the head, you don't use guides and you don't use a torque wrench either. You do use almost a whole tube of RTV, you do not let the RTV cure any before you install the intake, your tighten in a cris cross pattern starting in the center working towars the ends, you finger tighten then evenly first and progressively tighten them evenly repeating the same pattern for three to four times untill it's completely torqued down.

The torquing technique and method is very important tighten one side down more than the other or before the other and then it's not centered any more and your screwed again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:12pm

Basically he is following the felpro installation tips (fit) guidelines, although they only recommend 4 guide pins be used there is no reason 6 would be an issue.

your assuming that when the heads where machined they spec'd a projected tolerance zone to controll the bolts location, sorry they don't, so there is no way to control the location with pins because there angle and location are not controlled an inch or two above the mounting surface where the engagement of the pins occurs. This leads to mis-alignment issues and the tapper is never square or centered and you have issues.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 4:13pm

Basically he is following the felpro installation tips (fit) guidelines, although they only recommend 4 guide pins be used there is no reason 6 would be an issue. It is the correct way to install the intake and make sure all the ports stay in line. I think you are barking up the wrong tree there Chris.   

What can i say the damn thing is a sticky wicket i would have tore it down the the block by now and magnafluxed everything but I can understand trying to avoid that ..

I would have done that the first day I had the problem also....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 5:30pm

I seriously doubt you have actually held a D0OE-B casting in your hand otherwise you would know that there are date codes cast on it as well, none of which are from the 70's. All of you can speculate all that you want but none of you have actaully had the heads in your possision or hands. Well one other person has but I doubt he looked that close at them, as I suspect his engine builder has all ready installed them on his engine.

Chris, All I was saying is that heads with that engineering number cast in them (DOOE) were designed for 1970 and newer model applications. They may have been cast in a foundry anytime from 1969 on up. The engineering number for Ford basically tells what the first application of what that part was for. They can produce them with that casting number as long as they want if the design isn't changed. Hope this clears this up. John.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 5:46pm

Chris, All I was saying is that heads with that engineering number cast in them (DOOE) were designed for 1970 and newer model applications. They may have been cast in a foundry anytime from 1969 on up. The engineering number for Ford basically tells what the first application of what that part was for. They can produce them with that casting number as long as they want if the design isn't changed. Hope this clears this up. John.

your information is wrong I'm well aware of how the precieved coding supposedly is, but if you actually study the information you will see quite a few examples where it does not follow your coding. Again when you have actually seen the casting in question in your hands and when you understand that the casting number is not the date code then maybe you'll be up to speed and can speak on the same level as I do from first hard experience having owned, reworked and seen all of the casting markings on the heads in question including the foundry identification.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 6:11pm
As much as I hope Chris is right I don’t think I installed the intake incorrectly. The guide post causing things to not line up does not make any sense to me. Tonight I’ll pull the plug and temp sending unit and look to see if the ports are not lined up before I pull the intake. The head port is smaller than the intake port and when I did my dry fit you could see the edges of the head port encompassed by the intake port.

If it turns out to be the block then I’m going to have to have a come-to-Jesus with the boat and decide if she is going to go up for adoption. I’m estimating $2,600-$3,000 for a professional engine rebuild. Not including the price for a block. If I rebuild I don’t want to hook it up to a poor transmission so there’s $1,000. Not to mention I need to redo my stringers so there goes $1,200 or so. That brings us to around $5,200.

Not the kind of money I want to put into this boat all at once. If it were a more practical boat that would handle our rough lakes better and might actually have room for kids whenever we have them then yes. Say a Southwind or something like that. So add on the $3,000 or so already into the boat that brings the total up to $8,200 for a boat that will never be worth that or carry more than 4 people to the lake on anything but a calm day.

I do love the boat and if I spent $10,000 over a period of 15 years restoring the thing then no problem. But I can’t justify $5,200 right now.

Anyway, enough of my babbling.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 16>
  Share Topic