NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 16>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

As much as I hope Chris is right I don’t think I installed the intake incorrectly. The guide post causing things to not line up does not make any sense to me. .

Ok the end of the guide post is x distance from the mounting surface, is that guide post perfectly straight? no it's not, is the thread hole taped so that the end of the guide post is perfectly aligned with the thread at X distance? no it's not.

the intake has sloped sides, the guide pins can prevent the sloped sides from aligning correctly because the projected zone above the attachment point is not the same as the zone for the threaded bore below the attachment point. The attachment point is the flat surface of the head where the threaded bore starts.

so if the guide pins are bent or the projected zone isn't within tolerance to allow perfect alignment of the sloped faces it gets wedged into place instead of mating equally. This will create gaps on one side or the other or the front end or back end causing vaccum leaks and water leaks too. In forty years of watching and installing intakes I've never seen anyone use a guide pin to install an intake, you want a hard one to do grab an early 70's olds 455 cast iron intake and use your guides, it'll bend them before you can shake a stick at it.

intakes can be screwed up very quickly when not paying attention to detail and using shadetree technics.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 7:59pm
Its not an olds 455, its a small block ford. Heads havent been milled, block hasnt been decked, he isnt using bent studs and there is plenty of tolerance in the holes in the intake to keep them from binding.. plenty of shop manuals will tell you to use studs when installing an intake manifold. Do you need to.. absolutely not but it keeps some people from smearing thier rtv all over the place trying to line up the holes. It is not rocket science and it is not the problem.. Edelbrock certainly recommends the use of a torque wrench so I dont see your problem with that, although if you have aluminum heads the head manufacturer will warn against a torque wrench.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 12:11am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by PAPA PAPA wrote:

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Seriously doubt if the 69 mustang with a 302 had a DOOE-B casting head on it when it left the factory as that was a 1970 model engineering change. With all the head problems that they had in those days I would guess they easily could have been replaced very early on in the cars warranty years if you pulled them off a 69.

I seriously doubt you have actually held a D0OE-B casting in your hand otherwise you would know that there are date codes cast on it as well, none of which are from the 70's. All of you can speculate all that you want but none of you have actaully had the heads in your possision or hands. Well one other person has but I doubt he looked that close at them, as I suspect his engine builder has all ready installed them on his engine.

Chris, All I was saying is that heads with that engineering number cast in them (DOOE) were designed for 1970 and newer model applications. They may have been cast in a foundry anytime from 1969 on up. The engineering number for Ford basically tells what the first application of what that part was for. They can produce them with that casting number as long as they want if the design isn't changed. Hope this clears this up. John.

your information is wrong I'm well aware of how the precieved coding supposedly is, but if you actually study the information you will see quite a few examples where it does not follow your coding. Again when you have actually seen the casting in question in your hands and when you understand that the casting number is not the date code then maybe you'll be up to speed and can speak on the same level as I do from first hard experience having owned, reworked and seen all of the casting markings on the heads in question including the foundry identification.

Don't want to beat a dead horse and keep getting this off track but I guarantee my information is correct. Speeking on your level and getting up to your speed will be tough, but I have been working with Ford part numbers for 41 years and I know what a engineering number and a part number is. Like I said earlier a DOOE-B number on a head was ORIGINALLY DESIGNED for a 1970 model application. END OF STORY.

PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 12:14am

David, Sorry to waste so much talk about nothing.Hope you get your problem resolved. John.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 1:00am

David, Sorry to waste so much talk about nothing.Hope you get your problem resolved. John.

Think nothing of it, it's quite entertaining and keeps the thread moving.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 1:43am
Had our mechanic friend over, he could not stay for the intake removal but we talked a good bit about my problem. He did not see anyway I botched the intake installation. He's thinking head gasket. So before I remove the heads I wanted to post, pics of my most recent intake removal.

A lot of pics but wanted to be thorough.

P1010327

P1010328

P1010329

P1010330

P1010331

P1010332

P1010333

P1010334

P1010335

P1010336

P1010337

P1010339

P1010340

P1010341
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 3:26am
David, that oil froth is totally disgusting. I can imagine how fed up you are about it.

Hopefully the head gaskets fix the issue. And please make sure to post the head stampings on here.

Kelis said it right.

"my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard"

ugh
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 3:45am
remove the gasket from the heads and see if there's any water path below.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 12:44pm
Pulled the valve covers off this morning. Port side looks fine but the starboard looks like someone literally sprayed it with water. This is also the side that had the cracked exhaust manifold.

P1010342

P1010344

P1010345
P1010346

Here's the port side.
P1010347
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 12:54pm
So the water in the cylinders from the exhaust manifold leak cracked the cylinder head?

Lets get that head off already and see what is unner there mann!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 3:29pm
I plan on pulling the head tonight.

Here's what a guy my brother works with who rebuilds old cards thinks...

"starting to seem like a cracked head...water would be going into crankcase via push rod holes. That explains good running and no smoking."

If it is a cracked head what would you guys do? Find a used one, deck and replace gaskets on both, or just buy a new assembled pair from Summit?

Edit: just realized the prices on those heads are for each, not a pair. So more than likely I would try to find a replacement or buy the new unassembled ones.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 4:18pm
If its the heads, get yourself a set of remanufactured GT40p's from Clearwater Cylinder head for $400. They come fully assembled with brass casting plugs, etc. The only thing you'll need to source are some pedestal mount rockers- a junkyard set will be fine. (Your older pressed in stud style rockers will not work.)
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 10:26pm

I plan on pulling the head tonight.

Here's what a guy my brother works with who rebuilds old cards thinks...

"starting to seem like a cracked head...water would be going into crankcase via push rod holes. That explains good running and no smoking."

If it is a cracked head what would you guys do? Find a used one, deck and replace gaskets on both, or just buy a new assembled pair from Summit?

Edit: just realized the prices on those heads are for each, not a pair. So more than likely I would try to find a replacement or buy the new unassembled ones.

First check what heads are on the engine, then you could find stock D80E or E7s for real cheap on Clearwater. I'd replace both, but you could just do one. You'll have plenty of power with any head on that little boat.
GT40s are an option too, but in your case I'd stop making "improvements" to the boat as you have stated it's not THE boat for you. Stop complicating yourself and start enjoying the boat for once.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 10:45pm
Vondy, I have someone interested in my stock D80E heads from my 351w, but if that falls through these could work for you. It would be a cheap solution. My head bolts are the larger 351W's though, but there are ways to get around that. Shipping on a pair of iron heads is not cheap though.

E7Te's from a newer 5.0 mustang (86-95)will work well as well. Up until recently I had 2 pairs of those, but those didn't have brass plugs.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

You'll have plenty of power with any head on that little boat.

Luciano,you'd think so but you'd be wrong
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 1:11am
Starboard head is off. I'm going to link to my Flickr account that way it want take so much room in this post. They are pretty high res so you can get a close look.

Please let me know if anyone sees anything, I don't see anything obvious but that don't mean much.

Thanks guys!

Head
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 11:42am
High Vond! Looks like maybe a cracked head from pic, the one shot of block at top looks concerning as well. is it oil or just dirt from disasembly. sorry for all the bull happining with the stang. Jeff
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

High Vond! Looks like maybe a cracked head from pic, the one shot of block at top looks concerning as well. is it oil or just dirt from disasembly. sorry for all the bull happining with the stang. Jeff

Which shot of the block are you referring too? I did not notice any visible cracks on the head or block.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 12:50pm
Dont look for a crack, it most likely wont be visible. What you are looking for is rust from a water path where it shouldnt be any.
Look around the water passages to the intake valley, and to the oil return passages on the block, gaskets, and heads.

Too many unuseful pics over there, we only need to see the block and head mating surfaces, and both of the gasket faces.

After a few days off castings will start to rust, more on the surfaces that's been exposed to water.

On another note, what was the compression reading for that cylinder bank?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 12:53pm
David,
If you go back into my "Flexifour" rebuild thread you'll notice I used a Magnaflux crack check product. It's a spray on dye and then a spray on developer. You can get it on line. I'd sure give it a try to see if any cracks show up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 1:49pm
Can't really see any rust paths that look like they don't belong. Should I just take the heads to a pro and have them Magnafluxed?

When I checked compression before we got her back on the water a few weeks ago these where the numbers. 1-4 being the head that is off now.

1. 180   5. 185
2. 155   6. 170
3. 190   7. 190
4. 180   8. 130

After my latest discovery of water in the oil we checked and got a high of 155 and a low of 140. Average being 150. I did not right down exact numbers for each cylinder at that time. Must have still been in shock

Thanks for the help y'all!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 2:14pm

Should I just take the heads to a pro and have them Magnafluxed?

magnafluxed or hidraulic tested YES!!!!

spending money on new heads and stuff until all is checked NO!!!!!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

magnafluxed or hidraulic tested YES!!!!

spending money on new heads and stuff until all is checked NO!!!!!

$40 to clean and Magnaflux the pair. I'll try and swing them by the shop Monday.

Luchog I was done spending money on this boat months ago... or so at least I thought. The cheapest route now is the best for me. As long as it's done right.

Can these heads typically be repaired?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 8:20pm

Can these heads typically be repaired?

David,
No not if a crack shows up as it's not economical. The heads are common and relatively inexpensive. Now if it was a vintage old engine and new wasn't available, then it's a different story. My Flexifour rebuild would be a good example. If I had found cracks in the block or the head then the only choice would have been to take the chance and have them welded up.

Way back in college at Montana State, I remember in welding class one of the students brought in a old flat head 6 block off a combine with a crack right down the cylinder to the water jacket. The instructor was real close with a hands on salesmen of one of specialty rod (electrode) manufacturers. The instructor called the guy (hands on type) in for a demonstration. The block was prepped and preheated and the salesman proceeded to weld up the crack. The next day we had the block down in the power mechanics shop and we bored it. You could NOT see where the weld was made!! The student proceeded to rebuild the engine, put it back in the combine and when I left Montana two years later, he was still running that engine!!!

BTW,
Tom, (horkn) it was NOT a Ford block!!! It was actually a Continental industrial.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 1:37am
New developments.

Pulled the other head. As soon as the exhaust manifold came off water poured out of cylinder 8. First I thought it was the manifold but did a pressure test and looked good.

There is a rust trail from the water port to the cylinder on number 5.

P1010386

Cylinder 8 is a bit rusty, I assume because there was water in there. There is also some gouging on the piston.

P1010390

And... turns out my heads are different. Port side is from 69.

P1010385

P1010383

P1010384

P1010378

P1010379

P1010380

P1010388

P1010389

Thoughts?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 3:01am
David mine was the same,I had a D0OE on the right and a D20E-BA on the left. Same valve size and chamber size. I took them off because I wanted the GT40P's,they have 160 hours on them. If you decide you want other heads or if you want to rebuild the ones you have, email me,I'll make you an offer you can't refuse! glstarr@ameritech.net
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 3:19am
Thanks to ReidP here is a chart on Ford heads.Be careful,some of those late model heads will really lower your compression
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

David mine was the same,I had a D0OE on the right and a D20E-BA on the left. Same valve size and chamber size. I took them off because I wanted the GT40P's,they have 160 hours on them. If you decide you want other heads or if you want to rebuild the ones you have, email me,I'll make you an offer you can't refuse! glstarr@ameritech.net

Thanks for the offer Gary! So there's no disadvantage of the heads being different I assume?

Guess I'll stick with getting these magnafluxed and if they are good have them decked and reinstall.

As much as I hate not having the boat on the water it is nice getting to know my engine. Learning a lot for sure.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 6:35pm
I find that really odd that both Gary's and your HM 302's had different cylinder heads on each side.

I've seen a more recent head chart that has all the old heads and the newer ones on it. I think I posted it before, but it has all the ford small block heads, new and old with all the specs.

That mustang 2 site is missing out on the E7TE's and all the Gt40 models.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2010 at 10:14pm
it seems you got yourself a winner...

Have that head checked first.

But I'd not dischard the exhaust manifold either, just yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 16>
  Share Topic